Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN Insider: Take 2, Skins vs Cards

DCsportsfan53

Interesting how they say a steady dose of Portis and Sellers.

I don't think thats a knock on Betts, but more so that the juggernaut's gettin' noticed...and I like it.

I thought the same thing. I'm still really happy to have Betts around just in case someone goes down. He may not be a 3rd down back but he can certainly step in and rack up the yards with a full load of carries.

Rattay won't be so stupid. He'll take fewer chances, which could turn into fewer opportunities for INT's.

He may not be stupid, but he is also not a seasoned vet with lots of experience under his belt which means he will be more prone to panicking when pressure comes his way. He may try to force something to his two stud WRs and hope they make a play on it when he has 3 guys bearing down on him. Normally that might work, but when you have Sean Taylor back there that is a no-no. Plus, when a QB is panicking he loses the sense of where a DB is and could throw it up to a guy he THINKS is open (or that ST WANTS him to think is open).

Taylor has hawking speed and hones in on the football better than any safety in the league.

wow. i love this taylor wagon everyone is on now. past years everyone said all he looks for is the hits and being on the highlight reel. now everyone knows this guy is the REAL deal. He can HIT, catch, cover, anything he can do it. force turnovers you name it.

let's franchise this man, i dont want to see him in anything but burgandy and gold

wow. i love this taylor wagon everyone is on now. past years everyone said all he looks for is the hits and being on the highlight reel. now everyone knows this guy is the REAL deal. He can HIT, catch, cover, anything he can do it. force turnovers you name it.

let's franchise this man, i dont want to see him in anything but burgandy and gold

I think he could always do all of those things, but he never had the supporting cast to be able to on a consistent basis. Look at the cast Ed Reed has around him. I think it is true that in the past sometimes he has gone for the big hit instead of that tackle and I think he has learned to temper that a little but still unleash it when the situation is right. With LL in there at SS he can just sit back and be one of the rarest of all players...a true shutdown Free Safety (who can also knock you back 20 IQ points).

I know some of you think Betts is being misused but honestly, go back and look at the holes he was running through last year. He has good burst, excellent vision and runs with solid power. He doesn't make people miss or break many tackles. With the amount of penetration into the backfield we're seeing from defenses with our injury riddled OL, Betts' YPC wouldn't be much better than they even if he was getting 20 carries. Portis ability to dodge tackles behind the line and in the hole to escape blown blocks has been a huge part of why our rushing yards aren't even worse than they are. Until and if the right side of the line gels and creates some better holes, Betts will not be very successful for us. :2cents:

I know some of you think Betts is being misused but honestly, go back and look at the holes he was running through last year. He has good burst, excellent vision and runs with solid power. He doesn't make people miss or break many tackles. With the amount of penetration into the backfield we're seeing from defenses with our injury riddled OL, Betts' YPC wouldn't be much better than they even if he was getting 20 carries. Portis ability to dodge tackles behind the line and in the hole to escape blown blocks has been a huge part of why our rushing yards aren't even worse than they are. Until and if the right side of the line gels and creates some better holes, Betts will not be very successful for us. :2cents:

agreed.... betts had some pretty insane holes to run through last year.... that is NOT the case with our battered o-line. CP is much better at attacking a hole as soon as it opens, and is much better with any kind of contact

agreed.... betts had some pretty insane holes to run through last year.... that is NOT the case with our battered o-line. CP is much better at attacking a hole as soon as it opens, and is much better with any kind of contact

yep yep. portis just has that edge and agility to make a few people miss once he gets through the hole, to gain those few extras yards, which at times are very crucial.

Archived