Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN Insider: Take 2, Skins vs Cards

DCsportsfan53

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/take2?gameId=271021028

Earlier this week, our scouts filed their advance scouting report on this week's matchup between the Cardinals and Redskins. Now they're back with a second look.

Matchup to watch

Washington FS Sean Taylor vs. Arizona WR Anquan Boldin

A key matchup this weekend in Arizona will be Taylor and Boldin. Both are excellent players that give their respected teams the opportunities to make big plays. Boldin runs exceptional routes and catches the ball naturally with reliable hands. His quickness to avoid the initial hit after he catches the ball and then his burst to separate himself from the defenders is second to none in the NFL. However, he will face a player who is just as athletic as he is this weekend.

Taylor has hawking speed and hones in on the football better than any safety in the league. Taylor's ability to scar receivers with explosive hits makes him someone who opposing receivers always account for when he is on the field. The edge this weekend goes to the hard-hitting Taylor. Taylor showed exceptional coverage skills against the Packers' receivers last weekend and he will continue to play at a high level this weekend against Boldin and the rest of the Cardinals receivers.

What does Arizona QB Tim Rattay have to do to be efficient this weekend against a tough Redskins secondary?

Rattay has a big challenge ahead this Sunday when he will face a talented Washington secondary led by FS Sean Taylor. Rattay has to be on point with his throws against the Redskins or else they will intercept his passes and make things difficult for him. The short and intermediate throws have to be targeted away from the cornerbacks on WR Anquan Boldin and WR Larry Fitzgerald's bodies so these two can pluck the ball and have a chance to gain yards after the catch. Rattay's deep balls can't be floaters that force his receivers to stop in their tracks and go back for the ball because that will give Taylor time to get back and make a play and likely intercept the throw. Rattay also can't force balls into double or triple-coverage in order to make a play. Overall, he has to realize that it's sometimes better to throw the ball away out of bounds or even at the ground on screen passes in order to keep possession. Punting the ball isn't so bad if your defense is having a good day.

Who can help take away some of the pressure for Rattay?

There is one person who can take a big amount of pressure off of Rattay and that is running back Edgerrin James. The best help a quarterback can get is a solid running attack. There are some injuries on the offensive line for the Cardinals and guys are also banged up, but if they can establish the run game with James early on, that should keep some of the pressure off of Rattay. This will allow Rattay a game manager instead of someone who has to carry the offense on his shoulders.

The Cardinals have to pound the ball on the ground with James in between the tackles and then get him to the perimeter on the toss plays and stretch-zone schemes. Simple swing passes to James are similar to outside run plays and that gives James enough space to widen himself outside the tackles and get up the field. The Cardinals' offense has many options with James and it's up to them to get him involved more to take the heat of their third-string quarterback.

How can the Redskins offense help avoid another loss this weekend?

QB Jason Campbell played very well in their last outing, even though the Redskins lost the game. If the Redskins want to avoid a loss like last Sunday's to the Packers, the wide receivers simply have to catch the ball. There were too many dropped balls against Green Bay and a duplicate performance will give the Redskins more trouble.

WR Santana Moss was concerned about running with the ball before he made the catch, which can't happen this week. Moss and FB Mike Sellers have to secure the catch, tuck the ball away, and then lower their pad level and get up the field. Offensive coordinator Al Saunders and head coach Joe Gibbs had plenty of ball security drills this week in practice, which should help to avoid defenses stripping the ball and attempting to cause turnovers.

Scouts' Edge

statLogo_was.gif

The bottom line in this game is that the Redskins have too much fire power on offense and a physical ball-swarming defense for the Cardinals to keep up with. Plus, the decimation at the quarterback position for the Cardinals puts them at a huge disadvantage. If the Redskins' offense can hold on to the football, they will have a big day and score lots of points.

Expect the Redskins to go back to establishing the running game on offense and throwing play-action passes off of it this weekend. A steady dose of RB Clinton Portis and Sellers will be a load to handle for the Cardinals defense. The Cardinals receiving corps versus the Washington secondary will be a fun matchup to watch if Rattay can limit the mistakes, but look for the Redskins to get back on track and beat the Cardinals this Sunday.

Prediction: Redskins 35, Cardinals 17

Edit: dammit, can't get the positional edge section to show up right. They gave us the advantage in QB, RB, OL, DL, LB, DB and coach. They gave them WR and ST (as if! Our special teams is crucial, ****es :laugh: )

I know this has nothing to do with this thread, however I didn't want to start a new thread just to ask a question. Who would you start this week in fantasy: Matt Hasselback or J. Campbell? I think JC may light it up + he shares the same intitials as Jesus.

:laugh:

Not sure about the Jesus connection but definitely Campbell. He's on fire lately, Moss will bounce back and help him out, we're going to get TONS of good field position and 3 and outs from our D playing against a QB signed off the street last week and their defense is a better run stopping defense (they're very good and very physical in that department) than pass stopping, so I think we'll air it out plenty......especially considering Portis isn't running that well and the OL is decimated with injuries. Matt Hasselbeck has no WRs, no running game, his defense can't stop anything to get him the ball and his OL just isn't what it used to be. Start Campbell, all day long baby. He's going to explode this week. 300 yards and 2+ TDs....mark it down.

I heard on ESPN that Boldin is dealing with a hip injury and might not play. They listed two other starters on the Cardinals D that are dealing with injuries that might not play as well. Sorry i dont remember the names though, but im sure it will all show up on the injury report.

I heard on ESPN that Boldin is dealing with a hip injury and might not play. They listed two other starters on the Cardinals D that are dealing with injuries that might not play as well. Sorry i dont remember the names though, but im sure it will all show up on the injury report.

He's missed the last several games with that hip injury but, if I'm not mistaken, he's been back in practice this week and should play.

I do worry about this game. IMO, the only way we lose is if we give up some points to their defense on turnovers. Their defense has some solid players.

If we take care of the ball, there's no way we lose, I think. Still, I just have a funny feeling that we might make some mistakes on offense.

Defensively, I think we'll stop their offense for the most part.

I can't see us losing though.

If Taylor picked off Farve two times when he could have had 5... then I wonder how many times he'll pick off Tim Rattay?

Rattay won't be so stupid. He'll take fewer chances, which could turn into fewer opportunities for INT's.

Rattay won't be so stupid. He'll take fewer chances, which could turn into fewer opportunities for INT's.

I would be very surprised if we don't blitz a lot more than usual to force mistakes. I'm not sure if Rattay is totally new to the offense, but I've got to believe he's not totally comfortable with the playbook yet. Forcing him to make quick decisions will potentially lead to many turnovers.

I would be very surprised if we don't blitz a lot more than usual to force mistakes. I'm not sure if Rattay is totally new to the offense, but I've got to believe he's not totally comfortable with the playbook yet. Forcing him to make quick decisions will potentially lead to many turnovers.
Rattay played for them last week against the panthers....he went 12/24, 159 yrds, 6.6 avg, and 3 int.

Betts is a player that needs reps to be effective. The way the Redskins interchange backs and receivers, no one player other than Moss and Cooley are going to get the kind of reps Betts seems to need to get in a rhythm.

Resigning Betts is turning out to be a mistake. The Redskins aren't willing to commit to giving him the carries and letting Portis come off the bench as a stretch the field player, instead reversing the roles.

The problem is that Betts is NOT an elusive player and not likely to make the big plays down the field that others on this offense are capable of.

Betts is a FIRST and SECOND down player and now we have him out there catching passes on THIRD down.

Not a good use of your personnel.

This one is on the coaches for not changing things up to take advantage of everyone's skills on the roster.

Betts is a player that needs reps to be effective. The way the Redskins interchange backs and receivers, no one player other than Moss and Cooley are going to get the kind of reps Betts seems to need to get in a rhythm.

Your right runningback is all about getting into a rhythm and these guys haven't been able to get into one all year.

Archived