Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Portis' Tuesday 980 Interview

Diggs43

It's funny how everyone here gives our own defenders credit when they cause a fumble or make an INT, but when Portis fumbles it's all his fault. Can't have it both ways.

It's the defense's job to force fumbles and get interceptions and stop drives. It's not Portis' job to fumble the ball away.

It's the defense's job to force fumbles and get interceptions and stop drives. It's not Portis' job to fumble the ball away.

I think the point is that Portis is shouldering much of the blame for the problems holding on to the ball when a couple of them have just been good plays, granted they are preventable.

Exactly my point. Why not give credit to the defense for making a play, rather than pile on the running back for making a bad one?

I hated losing the G-men but I am now even more upset that it kick-started their season. If the G-Men fall to 0-3, season over, Coughlin out, G-men done! Instead, they are now 4-2 with SF and Miami up next....hello 6-2 :doh:

Yeah, I felt the same way at first. But let's see if they can keep it up. They started fast last year and crashed in the stretch. And they were kicking Coughlin's butt coast to coast. He constantly lost his composure and couldn't keep discipline in his clubhouse. So maybe letting him stay as Giants coach isn't such a bad thing. It's a long season. We've got a chance to win a bunch of games and they have a chance to tank again.

It's also the coaches job to put the players in the best position to make plays. Sometimes the play calling gets a little too "cute" and they put the players in bad positions. With that call, there were 3 or 4 defenders converging on Portis and no where to go. We're lucky that all he did was fumble. It could have been worse.

True! As Gen. George S. Patton once said to his troops: "It is not your job to die for your country. It is your job to make some other poor sonofa**** die for his."

I'm not sure why this is relevant but I think it sort of implies that you CAN have it both ways - and that's what we want.

It's also the coaches job to put the players in the best position to make plays. Sometimes the play calling gets a little too "cute" and they put the players in bad positions. With that call, there were 3 or 4 defenders converging on Portis and no where to go. We're lucky that all he did was fumble. It could have been worse.

That makes no sense...

Almost

Everytime a reciever touches the ball they run the risk of being hit by multiple players at once.....

Thats doesnt mean the coaches put them in a bad position....

When santana fumbled he was hit by one guy and one guy only....

the play calling excuse is getting old played out...:doh:

Why dont clinton do something about it then. Run harder and hold on to the ball and not blow the game. Stay motivated throughout the entire game.

yup Clinton run through those four defenders converging on you about 4 yards in the backfield. :doh:

Also, he says the team is giving games away, rather than the Packers and Giants winning them. He said he could sense that Packers were about to pack it in, but the Skins mistakes made them believe again.

:laugh: :laugh:

Thanks for doing your part in giving those games away.

That makes no sense...

Almost

Everytime a reciever touches the ball they run the risk of being hit by multiple players at once.....

Thats doesnt mean the coaches put them in a bad position....

When santana fumbled he was hit by one guy and one guy only....

the play calling excuse is getting old played out...:doh:

What ever. Hold everyone else accountable except those who call the plays. THAT makes no sense. Not that you can show me where I defended Moss' fumble, but how many times are they going to pull the double reverse out this season? It hasn't worked that well this season, and by now, a lot of teams are prepared for it. Sending Portis out with no blockers in front of him...on that play, it seems like he's being set up to fail. I seriously doubt that you could honestly look at that play and pretend that it had a chance at success. I'm not happy that Portis fumbled it, but I'm not going to tear him down over it either.

I say if Santana has a catchable ball thrown to him on the first attempt and he drops it to bench him and let Lloyd and Jason get in some real playing time. Lloyd was open by a bunch when he was overthrown and that would have won the game for us. Jason has to put a little air under those deep balls. Not that he is that far off on them but maybe they are the wrong trajectory if that makes any sense.

Lloyd is a burner like Santana and if we can get Lloyd going until Santana comes back we will have a very scary WR corp.

good to see the team realizes that we lack the killer instinct we need

No. I thought the team was supposed to realize their killer instinct after the loss to the Giants. Things haven't changed. When the players and the coaches can consistently go out there and go for the throat, I'll believe it.

I say if Santana has a catchable ball thrown to him on the first attempt and he drops it to bench him and let Lloyd and Jason get in some real playing time. Lloyd was open by a bunch when he was overthrown and that would have won the game for us. Jason has to put a little air under those deep balls. Not that he is that far off on them but maybe they are the wrong trajectory if that makes any sense.

Lloyd is a burner like Santana and if we can get Lloyd going until Santana comes back we will have a very scary WR corp.

Lloyd could make our passing attack very dangerous if he is given a real chance (a whole game folks, not one or two downs a game). Santana has sucked this year, he has been dropping **** every game, yet people give him a free pass. Lloyd sucked last year, worked his ass off to make an improvment, made one mistake, owned up for it, and still people cut him no slack. You judge players on what they have recently done, and what they can do for you. Lloyd can do a lot for us if he is given a chance. Portis, Campbell, everyone can do a lot for us if the coaches are willing to trust them and let them win games.

What ever. Hold everyone else accountable except those who call the plays. THAT makes no sense. Not that you can show me where I defended Moss' fumble, but how many times are they going to pull the double reverse out this season? It hasn't worked that well this season, and by now, a lot of teams are prepared for it. Sending Portis out with no blockers in front of him...on that play, it seems like he's being set up to fail. I seriously doubt that you could honestly look at that play and pretend that it had a chance at success. I'm not happy that Portis fumbled it, but I'm not going to tear him down over it either.

It is NEVER acceptable to fumble, under ANY circumstances. He's a runningback. He should know when he sees 4 defenders coming at him that he is not going to make much of a play. His number one priority in that situation is to protect the football and not make the situation worse than it already was.

It's funny how everyone here gives our own defenders credit when they cause a fumble or make an INT, but when Portis fumbles it's all his fault. Can't have it both ways.

sorry, but clinton's fumbles have NOT come on good plays by the defense. moss had it stripped. clinton is putting the ball on the ground on ordinary hits. my theory is that when you miss the whole preseason and most practices, your body isn't quite adjusted to full contact.

either way, he's disappointed.

Sending Portis out with no blockers in front of him...on that play, it seems like he's being set up to fail. I seriously doubt that you could honestly look at that play and pretend that it had a chance at success. I'm not happy that Portis fumbled it, but I'm not going to tear him down over it either.

Wait, so you think the play was designed so that there were no blockers out in front of him? I'm pretty sure at least one lineman pulled, and I know at least two were supposed to be out there and both missed their blocks. The coaches wouldn't design a play for Clinton to run out there on an island by himself.

I honestly believe that if we still had Randy and Jansen and all the guys in there that we would be running the hell out of the ball. But we don't. That explains our not so stellar running game, but it doesn't excuse careless turnovers.

I'm sick of hearing about them talking about how they are giving games away. Maybe they should start doing something about it. And I'm not talking about beating down ****ty teams like the Lions or potentially the Cardinals. I'm talking about the good teams that we are better than, but are losing to.

Didn't see this posted. Listen here to Clinton's interview w/ John Thompson.

He talked about having no beef w/ G. Williams. He just wanted to ask them to see if the fumble was reviewable. Gregg told him they said they ball was out. Also, he says the team is giving games away, rather than the Packers and Giants winning them. He said he could sense that Packers were about to pack it in, but the Skins mistakes made them believe again.

Well that squashes all the people out there who believe he was in an argument with Williams. But this is good information to know in that Clinton is very confident in his team and knows exactly what to do next time when they play Arizona and so forth.

Not sure if this has been mentioned anywhere, but I am beginning to wonder if Portis breaking his hand last year in Philly is part of all of his fumbles this year? Maybe things didn't heal right or maybe his grip is less strong after the break? From a medical standpoint, I am not sure if this makes sense. But, as we can all see, his fumbles are way up this year and seem to be occurring on rather innocuous plays. Anyone have any insight one way or another?

It's great to diagnose it...anyone who watched the game and has seen football before could have done it. It's another thing to be a man, be a team leader, and do whatever you can to fix it. That is CP's job right now.

He's the outspoken player on the offense. I would say that he and Sellers are the natural leaders (at least among the skill position players). Do what you have to do to eliminate the dumb mistakes!

I'm ready for CP to take the next step or I'm ready to go ahead and get what we can for him and move on (either with Betts or with a new RB next year). I loved the acquisition and I want to love the guy but it just seems like there's always something that isn't clicking for him. I'd love less drama and more production from our franchise RB!

Archived