Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Views from a naysayer pt 3

skinsn24

This is the third edition and I am very torn this week. No real intro needed onto to the game:

Opponent: The Packers

A “top 2” team in the NFC. I am not sure what that means because the NFC seems light years behind the AFC but Ill say they are a pretty good football club but have lots of problems including no run game.

The Offense:

OLine-The line is now completely destroyed with injuries. This is not an excuse though because injuries happen. That said in the second half of the game, the line was getting beat by the packers on every single play.

The Running Game-Well we thought we had 2 starting running backs on this team when the season started but now I don’t know what we have. Betts is totally ineffective when he is in the game and Portis seems to be falling down as soon as he gets the ball. He also now officially has a fumbling problem, this does not surprise me as on one of his long runs he was holding the ball like Deion Sanders. The poor play of the running game might be blamed on the line and there is a noticeable problem with not being able to run right at all. In this game Mike Sellers was our best ball carrier.

The Passing Game-JC is for real, there is no longer any question about it. He was putting balls on the money. Moss dropped a first down which turned into a pick, ARE killed a drive with an easy drop, Sellers dropped a perfectly thrown first down catch ( that’s 3 drive killing easy drops). Cooley missed a ball long and Lloyd could not bring in the deep throw at the end of the game, that throw may have been just a tad long but at some point someone needs to make a play for the kid QB. I loved what I saw out of Jason today.

Obviously Moss was pathetic today and I don’t know that I like him taking himself out of the game. I have seen plenty of stars struggle but they stay in the game, work hard, and make a play to makeup for themselves, I could never see TO taking himself out after a few drops.

Cooley was nice today, 1 drop but the other plays made up for it, he disappeared in the second half. (More on this later)

Seriously though, I was watching the game and found myself yelling at the TV for “someone to make a damn play for Jason” It is not fair to have a kid this young, play this well, only to have his veteran *star* weapons let him down.

Offensive Coaching-I had no real problem with the calls as there was clearly lack of execution as noted above. I do have 2 bones to pick and they both are problems I and many have talked about before.

• Half time adjustments. Cooley was ballin it up in the first half so the Packers adjust to take him out of the game, but the redskins coaching staff does nothing to counter this move. It was obvious that GB made the changes at the half and the skins staff did not. They should have figured out a way to get Cooley involved again.
  • Clock Management/Time outs. How many games has this staff coached? Enough to know not to take timeouts in the second half on back to back plays with 6 minutes left when you are trailing? I guess not. It just really doesn’t add up for me, everyone knew if we didn’t get that first down we would only get the ball back 1 more time, so we burn our timeouts on consecutive plays??

The defense:

I have no problem eating crow here. GW is doing his thing and the Unit is playing great. The DLine wasn’t dominating like it was last week, I am not surprised because the packers OLine is not a complete joke like detriot. I would have liked to pressure favre because that is when he makes mistakes but I cant really complain.

Sean Taylor-Best Player in the league?-Maybe, Best on the team-For Sure. I cannot believe I am reading threads on this board saying “Taylor should have had 4 picks ect ect.” He put himself in position to make all those plays, none of them were easy or gimmies he came down with 2 of them. He had an amazing game and gave our team a chance to win it at the end but the O couldn’t get anything going.

Final Thoughts:

I am extremely disappointed in todays game, this was a chance for the skins to finally win back to back games against winning teams, a chance to finally say “hey we are for real, we can win games that count.” Yet the skins come up short. I believe the skins are more talented than the Pack at every single aspect of the game. Unfortunately it seems to be a trend that whenever this team wins a big game or people start thinking they are good, they play bad and disappoint, I don’t know why this happens but it certainly does.

This is now twice this season we have let teams off the hook. Good teams don’t do that. This is twice we had a chance to make a real statement and didn’t do it. Next week becomes a must win as do most games from here on out.

Please comment on what you think, if you agree with the observations, or what you disagree with, very open to healthy debate.

:applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

Great post dog. You read my mind.

We cant continue to let games get away like this.

Thanks for the compliment, it is much appreciated, i try to put together something written kind of well and not so knee jerk.

I wish we could ahve 2 big wins a row. Last week + this week reminds me of blowing out the Niners then getting torched by the gaints.

Clinton Portis officially has a fumbling problem? Sorry I stopped reading there figuring the rest was rubbish as well.

Uhh, it would do you well to read or watch the games. He puts the ball on the ground almost weekly. did you see him carry the ball like deion on his long run? Tuck that thing.

Uhh, it would do you well to read or watch the games. He puts the ball on the ground almost weekly. did you see him carry the ball like deion on his long run? Tuck that thing.

2 rushing fumbles after week 6. Your math is wrong. His running style is the same as it's always been. :doh:

2 rushing fumbles after week 6. Your math is wrong. His running style is the same as it's always been. :doh:

He has lost 2 fumbles and has 3 rushing fumbles in 3 games. He has turned the ball over twice in the last 3 games. Its not math its a fact.

If his running style is the same thats great and dandy but holding the ball the way he does will lead to fumbles. I wish i could find a clip of how he was holding it, lucky he didnt fumble on the play though.

In 2005 he fumbled 3 times and lost 2 in 16 games, in 2007 he has the same numbers through 5 games.

Right on target with your post. For what ever reason this keeps happening. I thought we would be further along in the 4th year in JG's return. I remember "moonwalking" at my office in front of a friend of mine who is an Eagles fan when I heard about JG's return. Don't feel much like dancing 4 years later.

Sean Taylor-Best Player in the league?-Maybe, Best on the team-For Sure. I cannot believe I am reading threads on this board saying “Taylor should have had 4 picks ect ect.” He put himself in position to make all those plays, none of them were easy or gimmies he came down with 2 of them. He had an amazing game and gave our team a chance to win it at the end but the O couldn’t get anything going.

Taylor is playing at an elite level right now. He is practically shutting down the entire secondary. Almost every time a QB has tried to go deep on us (which I noticed has been rare), it is Taylor who is there to either break it up, almost intercept the pass, or intercept the pass. If he keeps playing at this level he could definitely be a contender for DPOY.

The Redskins are soft. To be a winner in this league you have to put together winning streaks. I had a bad feeling about this game because of all the "Love" were getting from the media. This team cant respond to the pressure. Love is overrated in Football. Just play and stop worrying about what the media thinks about you. That goes for some people on this board also. Always calling foul as soon as someone in the media says we are not good, we will lose, etc. Who cares. I for one hope the Media "Hates" us for the rest of the season. We seem to respond a helluva lot better as a team to that.

nice post skinsn24, was a good read and completely true.

our OL is seriously going to hurt us with all the talented teams we are going to play the rest of the season. Hopefully, the injuries from today wont be very serious.

At the beginning of the season i predicted us at going 11-5...after today it's going to be 10-6

The Redskins are soft. To be a winner in this league you have to put together winning streaks. I had a bad feeling about this game because of all the "Love" were getting from the media. This team cant respond to the pressure. Love is overrated in Football. Just play and stop worrying about what the media thinks about you. That goes for some people on this board also. Always calling foul as soon as someone in the media says we are not good, we will lose, etc. Who cares. I for one hope the Media "Hates" us for the rest of the season. We seem to respond a helluva lot better as a team to that.

I agree, it is very strange, everytime we get some good pub or start getting talked about we dont play well. Very fustrating.

nice post skinsn24, was a good read and completely true.

our OL is seriously going to hurt us with all the talented teams we are going to play the rest of the season. Hopefully, the injuries from today wont be very serious.

At the beginning of the season i predicted us at going 11-5...after today it's going to be 10-6

Thanks. :cheers:

I would like to see 10-6 and think we should easily get to 10-6 if we cut out the shoot yourself in the foot mistakes.

There is no reason why this team shouldnt be 5-0 except our lack of execution in the second half in 2 games.

Archived