Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CanadianPress.com: Cowboys safety Roy Williams fined for second "horse-collar' tackle

tr1

What kind of fine is that? :doh:

12 hours ago

http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5hComJ51xTy6RzG4rgIKohXYUg_WQ

IRVING, Texas - Dallas Cowboys safety Roy Williams has been fined for the second time this season for a "horse-collar" tackle.

The NFL fined Williams US$15,000 for a tackle against running back Marshawn Lynch in Monday night's game at Buffalo. Williams drew a penalty on the play, but the flag was for an incidental facemask and not the tackle.

After a similar tackle against Chicago tight end Desmond Clark last month, Williams was fined $12,500.

Cornerback Terence Newman was fined $5,000 for a helmet-to-helmet hit against Lynch on the same play for which Williams was penalized.

In 2005, the NFL outlawed "horse-collar" tackles, when a defender grabs the back inside of an opponent's shoulder pads and yanks the player down.

Terrell Owens, then playing for Philadelphia, tore two ankle ligaments and broke his leg after being dragged down by Williams in a game in 2004. That was one of the plays that led the technique being outlawed.

But I thought he didn't horse-collared? :halo:

I mean he clearly face masked the guy! LMFAO, 'Puke fans can deny it all they want but that was a blatant horse-collar. They even threaten suppension on Roy William. I wonder why?

And it didn't get called in the game...hhmmmmm.... :rolleyes:

Wow that was a horse collar and the officials didnt call it.....:rolleyes: When horse collar roy pulled his usual tackling move everyone was screaming for the flag and then the ref threw it and then he calls a face mask penatly everyone was like what the **** did you not just see what we saw. Absolutely absurd.

bottom line, it wasn't called in the game...if you ask any player in the league whether they would rather take a 15 yard penalty in crunch time or pay 15,000 dollars to have the penalty not called, who wouldn't do that. Especially to a guy where 15 grand is the equivalent of 50 bucks to normal people.

Wow that was a horse collar and the officials didnt call it.....:rolleyes: When horse collar roy pulled his usual tackling move everyone was screaming for the flag and then the ref threw it and then he calls a face mask penatly everyone was like what the **** did you not just see what we saw. Absolutely absurd.

The Ref threw his flag the moment the facemask occured. Its not like he waited and listened to the sideline screaming and then said "Oh I need to throw my flag on that play" and then called a different penalty. :doh:

We were having this same conversation a couple of weeks go, and now look, he's done it again.

Just think of it like this...

If you had a friend or family member that had 5 DWIs on his resume, and then went on to get another one, but claimed "I was drinking, but it wasn't over the legal limit, the Police officer had it in for me, because I have so many DWIs on my record" would you dismiss the facts or push his history aside, just because he's one of your friends or relatives, and you would like to believe that he's innocent?

Because Roy Williams is a repeat offender, and in fact, had this rule named after him. Anyone defending him and anyone who thinks the NFL might be picking on him needs to put their thinking caps on and rethink this one over.

Cmon guys...

The Ref threw his flag the moment the facemask occured. Its not like he waited and listened to the sideline screaming and then said "Oh I need to throw my flag on that play" and then called a different penalty. :doh:

I'm not saying you did this TEK, but something I find sillier than Redskins fans believeing the refs* are specifically favoring Dallas in making calls is the cowboy fans who defend RW on this issue.

I come from oldschool football, have no shortage of hard "physically active" experiences in my past, and still thought Conrad Dobler needed his knees adjusted but not by a physician. I feel the same way about RW.

Though my jury is still out as to whether some refs are sometimes involved in such things in some games in general ;):D

Like I said in another thread, where's there's big money, some people have two sets of rules.

Let me just say this... I am not defending Roy here. I'm simply defending against some of the crazy ideas like "the refs let the Cowboys do whatever they want" kind of crap or that Roy specifically goes after the opponents best player or that he does this with malicious intent.

I don't post claiming to know the rule about the horse collar and don't try to dispute whether it was or was not. It obviously was since he was fined for it.

I wish Roy would stop tackling like that.

I don't believe that NFL refs are biased against one team or another... now, NBA officials, I've longed believe that the NBA uses their officials to keep the games close and try to make them more entertaining to the finish. But the NFL, I've never seen any kind of consistency that would lead me to believe there was something going on more than just some boneheaded calls once in a while.

They CAN have several penalties on the same play as it happens and the other team gets it's chooice...... Yes, only one penalty can be accepted. But personal fouls can continue throughout the entire play AND even after the play is stopped.

Go ahead, keep trying to defend RW..

They CAN have several penalties on the same play as it happens and the other team gets it's chooice...... Yes, only one penalty can be accepted. But personal fouls can continue throughout the entire play AND even after the play is stopped.

Go ahead, keep trying to defend RW..

Yes I know this... but the Ref didn't call it. Get over it.

Must not be reading all of my posts... namely the one right above your post.

Good post, TEK, and I can understand that position and see it as pretty fair for a cowboy fan trying to be objective :) . I often have to focus to do the same as a 'skin fan. :laugh:

My comment about refs just refers to the world, the nature of people, and some personal knowledge of such things in general. I figure the NFL probably has the most regulated control over officiating as any sport in the world. But I stand by my comment and note that refs aren't the only people involved in the chain that are human. But no conspiracy theory fan here--closer to the opposite--just open-minded and experienced.

And, again, let me be clear, I don't believe the refs deliberately favored the cowboys in any of their calls.

We were having this same conversation a couple of weeks go, and now look, he's done it again.

Just think of it like this...

If you had a friend or family member that had 5 DWIs on his resume, and then went on to get another one, but claimed "I was drinking, but it wasn't over the legal limit, the Police officer had it in for me, because I have so many DWIs on my record" would you dismiss the facts or push his history aside, just because he's one of your friends or relatives, and you would like to believe that he's innocent?

Because Roy Williams is a repeat offender, and in fact, had this rule named after him. Anyone defending him and anyone who thinks the NFL might be picking on him needs to put their thinking caps on and rethink this one over.

Cmon guys...

so wait, roy was drunk and horse collaring? damn, thats jacked up right there!!

Archived