Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Tirico has 'Skins in Top 5

sikizler

Yeah right :doh: Everyone knows that we're not that good :paranoid: The Jags and Titans are much better.....ughhhh

[sarcasm alert!]

That's great. However, that won't get the Redskins to the playoffs. What does powerrankings and stats mean. They mean nothing.

So, do your kids (assuming you have kids) come home with report cards every quarter or so? Isn't that an indicator on how they are doing? So, aren't stats and power rankings based on how the team is doing? Obviously report cards don't mean your kid is going to be the head of the class or graduate, but its likely that if he/she comes home with good grades the first quarter, he/she is likely to do equally well the entire year.....barring the introduction to drugs and alcohol :paranoid::silly:

That's great. However, that won't get the Redskins to the playoffs. What does powerrankings and stats mean. They mean nothing.

Who said it would get the 'Skins in the playoffs? It's just something to talk about. That's all any rankings are in pro sports. Stats on the other hand mean plenty.

Yeah right :doh: Everyone knows that we're not that good :paranoid: The Jags and Titans are much better.....ughhhh

[sarcasm alert!]

So, do your kids (assuming you have kids) come home with report cards every quarter or so? Isn't that an indicator on how they are doing? So, aren't stats and power rankings based on how the team is doing? Obviously report cards don't mean your kid is going to be the head of the class or graduate, but its likely that if he/she comes home with good grades the first quarter, he/she is likely to do equally well the entire year.....barring the introduction to drugs and alcohol :paranoid::silly:

This is an EXTREMELY poor analogy. Grades are based off of school work i.e. answering questions right or wrong and getting a precentage grade based off of this. Powerrankings and talking heads are OPINIONS. Furthermore, you get a report card at the end of a certain point. It cannot tell you what the scores on the next one will be. Regardless of whether you believe its "likely" or not for someone to get As and then next time get Cs is irrelevant because this is the NFL not a daughter in grade school.

This is an EXTREMELY poor analogy. Grades are based off of school work i.e. answering questions right or wrong and getting a precentage grade based off of this. Powerrankings and talking heads are OPINIONS. Furthermore, you get a report card at the end of a certain point. It cannot tell you what the scores on the next one will be. Regardless of whether you believe its "likely" or not for someone to get As and then next time get Cs is irrelevant because this is the NFL not a daughter in grade school.

Without getting into the subjectivity of grading, especially on assignments like essays and whatnot, I think that it was a pretty good analogy. The power rankings come out after a certain point, namely, ever week. They are based not only on an educated guess (essentially what a grade on an essay is) about the team, but certain power rankings take into account objective statistical analysis to make their lists. Just like grades, power rankings do not intend to predict the future, but they grade the momentum of a team. In my high school, I remember that if you had a sequence of grades showing improvement (momentum), then you would get a higher grade than if you calculated an average.

I'm getting away from the topic, but power rankings are actually much better than just standings, and they have a very good correlation with who is playing well and who isn't. A 3-2 Lions team with two blowout losses and an up and down history is worse than a 3-2 Giants team who have shown drastic improvement, yet they both have the same standing in the NFC. Clearly the Giants are better at this point.

Tirico always seems to give us props.

That's because Trico likes the Redskins. I've noticed Everytime the Redskins play like on Monday Nite, everyone else seems to write us off or give sarcastic remarks regarding the Organization. But Trico always in a subtle way defends the Organization regardless of what jerk offs think like the " pardon the interruption guys.

we'll see what happens. I just can't WAIT to play the cowturds!

We will see what happens. I think we have a real test this week at Green Bay. I know they have no running game what-so-ever, but this will be the best defense that we have faced all year.

A win against Green Bay this weekend will put Dallas at #1 and Redskins at #2 in the NFC, I believe.

I was hoping to fly under the radar a bit longer. And to think... if the Redskins were undefeated, we'd be #1 right now considering what Buffalo did to Dallas. That Giants loss was a lesson and a blessin'. (<----heard a caller say this to Gibbs on Redskins Lunch and I like it. Very fitting!)

A win against Green Bay this weekend will put Dallas at #1 and Redskins at #2 in the NFC, I believe.

I was hoping to fly under the radar a bit longer. And to think... if the Redskins were undefeated, we'd be #1 right now considering what Buffalo did to Dallas. That Giants loss was a lesson and a blessin'. (<----heard a caller say this to Gibbs on Redskins Lunch and I like it. Very fitting!)

I agree with that. That L will not let our players get too high. Unfortunately, the Buffalo game will probably do the same for Dall-ass, but they came out with a win.

if just keep winning ballgames, nothing else matters. Hopefully the focus of the players and coaches is just about Green Bay and going up to Lambeau and pulling out the W. We do that, then we'll just keep marching up everybody's rankings. Just win, that's all!

If we beat Green Bay next weekend and the Cowboys lose to the Patriots what do you think our POWER RANKINGS will be then?

I'm excited about this weekend. We have the ability to beat the one dementional Green Bay Packers this weekend. As long as they stay focused & execute their game play we should win hands down!

Our defense will hold up against Favre's arm. Who knows, maybe Carlos will get another INT!!

HTTR!!!

Without getting into the subjectivity of grading, especially on assignments like essays and whatnot, I think that it was a pretty good analogy. The power rankings come out after a certain point, namely, ever week. They are based not only on an educated guess (essentially what a grade on an essay is) about the team, but certain power rankings take into account objective statistical analysis to make their lists. Just like grades, power rankings do not intend to predict the future, but they grade the momentum of a team. In my high school, I remember that if you had a sequence of grades showing improvement (momentum), then you would get a higher grade than if you calculated an average.

I'm getting away from the topic, but power rankings are actually much better than just standings, and they have a very good correlation with who is playing well and who isn't. A 3-2 Lions team with two blowout losses and an up and down history is worse than a 3-2 Giants team who have shown drastic improvement, yet they both have the same standing in the NFC. Clearly the Giants are better at this point.

Sorry dude, but Power Rankings and certain mediots saying "They're a top 5 team" ESPECIALLY this early in the season means ****. They are opinions and we all know most of those opinions are biased in some way either for or against. Are the Cowboys really top 3 after that performance against the Bills? Should we be top 10? These are all up to argument. Where as if i got an A on a report card. I got an A. There's not disputing the grade. I earned it. i.e. On a test the answers were either right or wrong (essays are an exception which might be the only parallel) So unless these rankings have requrements for certain spots, its an AWFUL analogy. I think Fox Sports actually does have a formula which is the only one that does. They're moving in the right direction.

Archived