Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Has redskins radio been having technical problems lately?

Veretax

Is it just me or has redskins radio had nasty technical difficulties lately? On sunday It seemed I was missing the first few plays of each drive, and all I heard was bumper music for the last good chunk of the 4th quarter. Then earlier this week, I try to listen, and got silence. Nothing but silence. Now today its 1 and I hear the bumper music playing over top of Bram's show. Is it just me? Or what?

Is it just me or has redskins radio had nasty technical difficulties lately? On sunday It seemed I was missing the first few plays of each drive, and all I heard was bumper music for the last good chunk of the 4th quarter. Then earlier this week, I try to listen, and got silence. Nothing but silence. Now today its 1 and I hear the bumper music playing over top of Bram's show. Is it just me? Or what?

Nope it happened to me too. The 4th quarter was almost all instrumental music, with the occasional "we'll be getting back to live programming in a few minutes"

Nope it happened to me too. The 4th quarter was almost all instrumental music, with the occasional "we'll be getting back to live programming in a few minutes"

I wouldn't have eeven known the game was on if not for the gamecast on ESPN... I'm like INT! carlos? what the hell where's the audio :D ....... guess i can't complain since we won though :/

Thankfully the Sopcast stream started working in the second quarter and I was able to watch the game from that point on.

But yeah, I was listening to the game online and following off-and-on via the game tracker.

After we punted at the end of the first drive, they went to commercial, there was bumper music for a while, and then they come back and we're on offense again. I wasn't watching the game tracker during that time, so when we were suddenly on offense again in our own territory (which left me quite confused), I checked the game tracker and saw Detroit's stalled drive and punt.

After that I was thinking, "Did I just black out or something? How did I miss Detroit's drive?" :laugh:

But now it's all making sense. :thumbsup:

I wrote an extremely angry email to them during the Giants game because of this very problem. I got an email back from

"Ira Weintraub

Web Editor/Producer - Red Zebra Broadcasting

Triple X ESPN Radio, ESPN Radio 950, 102.1 FM/1490 AM The Game"

who was kind enough to skip over my hysterics and provide the following explanation:

Computer error -- the machine that blocks commercials from airing on the

stream (we are legally not allowed to air most commercials)

malfunctioned. We are working on it.

Thanks.

Now, I wrote back and apologized for my "digital screaming" and thanked him for the response at that time. Unfortunately, as you know, the problem continues. I wrote ANOTHER angry email during the last game when play after play was STILL being missed. :mad:

I can understand them having problems with the computers. I CANNOT understand them neglecting to say, a few weeks down the line, "Wow, computer's not working, let's not use it until it does," and finding alternative ways (sitting there and flipping a switch back and forth???) to broadcast that Muzak (right entertainin' the first 5,000 renditions, huh?) during the on air commercials so that people relying on them for a professional job (or a reasonable facsimile thereof) webcasting a critical game are not left equating the expression "WTF!" with "Red Zebra Broadcasting."

Not that I'm still upset with them, mind you. :D

I'm sure there are lots of complications and technical challenges that I am totally ignorant of. But I do stand by the subject line of my last email to them... "Unacceptable."

I appreciate the link to the other webcaster, but that is another Red Zebra station, presumably facing the same difficulties. Plus I do note that Ira is in charge there, too, according to his email. So I would caution against getting our hopes up TOO high when it comes to game time broadcasts.

PS: No return email from Ira this time around to this point. Still appreciate the one he did send.

Spoke too soon!

Ira steps up to the plate again!

My email server is not the most nimble in the world... just checked and sure enough got another email from the "Web Editor/Producer – Red Zebra Broadcasting," Ira Weintraub:

We are still trying to figure out the streaming problems – we thought they were all fixed, but obviously they are not. We will have this fixed by next week in order to continue to provide the only free Internet broadcast in the NFL.

Thanks for you patience. Stay tuned. Go Skins!

Again kudos to Ira for the reply. I will be giving them another chance this weekend after getting this email. I had just finally tuned them out and gone to sopcast/gamecenter/whatever else I could get my digital mitts on. And yes, I do think he is right in pointing out how rare it is for us Geochallenged folk to get to hear our team for free.

I do still stand by the idea that it is not too much to ask to have the game broadcast halfway properly if they are going to take on the job in the first place. But I do also acknowledge that I and lots of others here at Extremeskins would miss this dearly if it were not available, yes?

In the heat of the moment, it's easy to get upset about problems with the stream. But it is, after all, a free service. Literally, other than driving traffic to their Web site, they're not getting anything out of it, given that they don't run ads on it. On the short-term balance sheet, it's a wash, if not a loss.

Of course, in the long term, it keeps geo-challenged fans involved, which most likely leads to merchandise sales at some point.

It happened to me as well.

:2cents: :point2sky

Archived