Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

One Good Thing About FOX's Broadcast of 'Skins/Packers Game

Bryan81

Buck is pathetic. He is a joke. He is probably the second worst sports caster in the entire business, behind only Chris Collinsworth.

You're nuts. Joe Buck is a great announcer. I'll never forget "Welcome to Washington!" or "Blocked its picked up by Taylor"....great calls. Anyway, if you seriously believe that listening to Kenny Albert is better than Joe Buck you need to be committed.

How much of a delay is there? I tried listening to the game on 100.7 (I think) and the delay was something like 15 to 20 seconds. Not good.

DVR, baby. You figure out how many seconds off you are with the radio stream, pause the TV, count off the seconds, press play on the TV, and there you go. Radio call synched up with TV action, or close to it.

Joe Buck just comes off as to arrogant or something to me. I'm sure producers are feeding him stuff all game long.

That's fair enough, I suppose.

I'm always surprised at how many people find Buck to be pompous. Maybe I've got thick skin or something, since I used to live in St. Louis and have heard Joe Buck as far back as 20 years ago, but he's never really seemed arrogant to me.

I've noticed that quite a few people find sportscasters like Buck, Costas, (Bryant) Gumbel, etc. to be arrogant. Even dating back to Cosell, though Howard was WAY beyond those guys, he just wallowed in his own arrogance. One thing they all have in common is that they are verbose, very well-spoken, and have that smooth, quicksilver delivery. From your standpoint, do you think it's Buck's obvious intellect that many people find annoying?

I'm just trying to think of a really book-smart broadcaster that *doesn't* come across as arrogant.

Nothing beats Madden & Summeral back in the day.

Agreed. They were a big part of my introduction to football as a kid. I'll always remember the way Pat Summerall would tease the CBS Sunday night lineup, starting with 60 Minutes, followed by "Murder, <pregnant pause> She Wrote." Great stuff. They'll always be the best NFL duo in my mind, just like Keith Jackson will always be the greatest college football announcer.

I do enjoy Madden with Al Michaels, though. I always liked Michaels before, and you can tell that he's genuinely amused by Madden's observations sometimes.

As for Buck and Aikman, I like them. I guess that puts me in the minority. I like Buck's dry sense of humor, and he's got the goods as a broadcaster. He learned the trade at his dad's feet, and his dad was one of the greatest sports broadcasters ever. And while Jack Buck is more famous for broadcasting baseball games, he did do football games as well.

As for Aikman, I'm sure he's always hoping for a Cowboys win (really, how could he not?), but he doesn't come across as a homer. Not to me, anyway. He always strikes me as being serious about providing impartial analysis.

My :2cents:.

Oh, and Bryant Gumbel/Chris Collinsworth are a turd sandwich if ever there were one.

Bryant Gumbel is outstanding in sports journalism. His Real Sports is always engaging, revealing, and often thought-provoking.

But as a play-by-play guy on the NFL Network, he's just dreadful. He has no rhythm to his delivery and his discomfort is downright unsettling. If you listen to some of the true legends (and the sport doesn't really matter), people like Vin Scully have such rhythm to their delivery that it's absolutely musical. There's a melody to it. But Gumbel is so uncomfortable that it's distracting. You can't avoid it.

I've never had a problem with Collinsworth. I'm indifferent to him.

I love the Skins as much as anybody, but until the Skins can start beating some of the upper tier teams in the league, the NFL will continue to have the B-team announcers broadcast the games. Despite being 3-1, there are still plenty of people who consider the Skins lucky, and are just waiting for the Skins to fail........now, that being said, let's all root our boys to victory this Sunday up in Packerland!!! Hail to the Redskins!

Uhh, we have the #1 team for our game this week. Buck is out due to calling a baseball game.

Also we've had them, the #1 team, for 2 out of our 3 games on Fox (this week and the Giants game) so far so your argument rings a little hollow.

Bryant Gumbel is outstanding in sports journalism. His Real Sports is always engaging, revealing, and often thought-provoking.

But as a play-by-play guy on the NFL Network, he's just dreadful. He has no rhythm to his delivery and his discomfort is downright unsettling. If you listen to some of the true legends (and the sport doesn't really matter), people like Vin Scully have such rhythm to their delivery that it's absolutely musical. There's a melody to it. But Gumbel is so uncomfortable that it's distracting. You can't avoid it.

Cosign. I'm glad I will be at the game when we play the Bears and not at home listening to him.

I thought Tim Ryan and Sam Rosen did a bang up job last week. Wish they did our game again this weekend.

I agree though I'm probably partial to him due to being a fan of his show on Sirius. I did hear this week that he'll be calling the Cards@Skins game though so that's a good thing.

As it relates to Buck and Aikman, I think that they do a good job really and I honestly think that Aikman is one of the better analysts out there.

Archived