Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

will portis ever be the 25 carry a game guy again?

Brandon Lloyd Christmas

Great thread......and great responses. I agree with all of them.

We don't need him to be that back....so why risk more injuries? He is pulling himself off the field, and even fumbling the ball. Best to save him for later in the season when hopefully the playoffs come.

Now next season......totally different story. If Sellers can show he can become consistent, the chances of the Skins paying Portis his ridiculous salary are small and none.

If we absolutely NEED him for 25 carries--pay him the money. But we don't. Betts/Sellers might be more than adequate.

Free up that money, and work on the line.

Yea, lets get rid of an elite back because you have a man crush on an average starter/good backup who chokes consistently in crunch time, including a play where he tripped over himself.

The only thing Betts does really well is catch passes. That's it. No way in hell should we let Portis go for this guy.

It really is remarkable how fast opinion changes on this site. Portis gets hurt last season and Betts steps up big and everyone starts calling for Portis to be traded. This year, Portis shows he's still a stellar back and Betts gets stuffed against the Giants at the goal line, and the pendulum swings back the other way.

But I digress

Like others have said here, Portis should definitely be taking the majority of the touches, but Betts/Sellers can and should spell him often. Keep him fresh, control the ball and demolish the exhausted defenses late in the game

]']He can do that now. He just doesn't need to.

Theoretically' date=' a healthy Portis 15 times a game should be much more productive than a 25 carry Portis.[/quote']

Untrue. Did you not notice that Portis got nada his first 13 runs or so and then he broke 10 yarders on his last 5 or 6? If Portis gets 25 carries a game, he will have monster games.

after watching our first four games, i dont think portis is gonna be that guy this season. i see him getting the ball around 18 times a game. i look through his game logs as a skin and i see games where he took 30+ carries and had around 22-25 on average for his first 2 years here. im worried hes just not that workhorse anymore. i really hope something can change my mind on this, but i wish he could still be that guy.

thoughts?

Well the reason we're mixing things up is because we can actually throw the ball for decent gains now. We seem to have all the weapons on offense and It keeps opposing teams guessing.

Besides, his knee still bothers him :(

If he can be effective with 18-20 carries a game i think stick with it I am usually against the platooning idea but what it does is put a fresher Portis against a tired Betts (or Sellars) beaten defence which mean he has better chances of breaking a big one and He has in the last couple of games been close to taking it to the house ...

BLC it is funny about what you said about the defence. In 2006 they sucked and injury played a big part of that but becasue you were activly trashing them in June July August almost all the time when they wern't playing an NFL down as left a bitter taste in people mouth and now they are playing well you have said nothing ...Just saying thats all

How many RBs carry the ball 25 times per game? Most running backs don't even have a season where they averaged 25 carries a game. LT has never averaged 25 carries a game. The last guy to do it was Larry Johnson and he's paying the price for it. CP should average no more than 20 carries a game.

He's been a work horse back pretty much his entire career up to this point and it's really taken it's toll. Even though he's better than Betts, I don't see him getting 25+ unless it's absolutely necessary. I also think that if he had to do that every week, the way his knees are now, he may not last the season. The system we're using right now works, I think we need to stick to it.

Archived