Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

audibles and our lack of them

Brandon Lloyd Christmas

why dont we call audibles? watching manning in the 2nd half he was calling audibles all over the place and torching us on big plays. why isnt campbell doing this when he sees something in a defense? itd be nice to see campbell come out, change the play at the LOS, and get a big play for big yardage. im just confused as to why i havent seen any audibles called in 3 games, and with audibles being such an important part of an offense, why we dont use them.

thoughts.

why dont we call audibles? watching manning in the 2nd half he was calling audibles all over the place and torching us on big plays. why isnt campbell doing this when he sees something in a defense? itd be nice to see campbell come out, change the play at the LOS, and get a big play for big yardage. im just confused as to why i havent seen any audibles called in 3 games, and with audibles being such an important part of an offense, why we dont use them.

thoughts.

Why would anyone want to let a young qb loose to call his own audibles

one of three reasons....

There's no time. <---most likely

Coaches tell him not to audible. <---wouldn't be surprising

Audibles don't exist.<----wouldn't be surprising, but highly unlikely.

why is there no time? are we that slow and stupid that we cant call a play, read a defense, and adjust? sad if true.

why would gibbs/saunders tell campbell not to audible? thats a complete play killer if a defense reads us perfectly (and its not hard to read us, its all 1 WR = run or failed playaction, or 2 WR with some motion, usually a run play or weak playaction)

haha, how could audbiles not exist? we cannot be that incompetent to not even give campbell the option of switching the play after reading the D.

why is there no time? are we that slow and stupid that we cant call a play, read a defense, and adjust? sad if true.

why would gibbs/saunders tell campbell not to audible? thats a complete play killer if a defense reads us perfectly (and its not hard to read us, its all 1 WR = run or failed playaction, or 2 WR with some motion, usually a run play or weak playaction)

haha, how could audbiles not exist? we cannot be that incompetent to not even give campbell the option of switching the play after reading the D.

I'm sure we have one or two basic audibles such as switching to a run or which side etc. However audibles are not a large part of Saunders' offense. Motions are used to create mismatches against the defense and the entire play clock is needed to execute all of the motions. Audibling to a new play would not leave sufficient time to correctly run the motions, which would in turn make the play run incorrectly.

I know it seems weird not audibling when we see Brady and Manning do it, but Saunders does have a little experience in the NFL putting together successful offenses.

Saunders believes that audibles don't make sense because defenses disguise their coverage anyway.

Quoted for truth. I've read in several threads about this.

Also,

However audibles are not a large part of Saunders' offense. Motions are used to create mismatches against the defense and the entire play clock is needed to execute all of the motions. Audibling to a new play would not leave sufficient time to correctly run the motions, which would in turn make the play run incorrectly.

I'm sure we have one or two basic audibles such as switching to a run or which side etc. However audibles are not a large part of Saunders' offense. Motions are used to create mismatches against the defense and the entire play clock is needed to execute all of the motions. Audibling to a new play would not leave sufficient time to correctly run the motions, which would in turn make the play run incorrectly.

I know it seems weird not audibling when we see Brady and Manning do it, but Saunders does have a little experience in the NFL putting together successful offenses.

well lets hope all these motions can turn our offense into a good unit, because so far weve looked pretty stale out there.

Peyton has proven this to be a farce (although prolly no QB in the history of the game has mastered the audible quite like him).

You have to also keep in mind that he, for the most part is calling his own plays, so the the audible is necessary. He's given 3 plays, and at the line, he reads the defense, and picks one.

thoughts.

Gibbs conservative and conventional style of play calling is making the offense predictable. Trying to keep it simple for JC, so he'll be able to "manage" the game for us. We need to him to step and win us games. I'm tired of using his youth and inexperience as an excuse for not opening up the playbook and throwing some damm points on the board.

Gibbs conservative and conventional style of play calling is making the offense predictable. Trying to keep it simple for JC, so he'll be able to "manage" the game for us. We need to him to step and win us games. I'm tired of using his youth and inexperience as an excuse for not opening up the playbook and throwing some damm points on the board.

Gotta agree cuz this conservative crap was used even with veteran brunell in there last year and its just more of the same, besides an occasional deep ball, that is the ONLY difference now

I've heard conflicting reports. A couple of weeks back on Redskins Radio Gibbs clearly said they have audibles and Campbell has the freedom to use them on most plays. On the other hand, we are always told by local media that there are no audibles in Saunders' offense. I'm gonna go with Gibbs on this one.

Didn't Saunders come out and say that there are pretty much no audibles in his offense and that they relied on shifting and sets to confuse the defense?

HAH....if that's true, then we'll always be in nailbiters. Sorry, it's a fast league and defenses are always veiling what they're doing. We need audibles. And I can count on one hand how many shifts I saw in the last game.

found this blurb about Sauders offense

"He's told the flanker what to do, but no one else; they have to memorize their routes," Saunders explained. "We tell everybody what to do on every play, yet our verbiage is short and simple."

That simplicity enables Saunders to change formations on every down if he desires. He'll switch from two backs to two tight ends to three receivers to four receivers, hoping to create mismatches. It makes halftime adjustments easier, too. Basic formations stay the same, but overbearing defenses can be compromised just by changing a route number.

Where it gets tricky is that there are virtually no audibles: The quarterback and receivers must read the defense quickly and make pre-assigned adjustments.

The very next line reads.

At their best, Saunders' offenses never take what the defense gives; they take what they want.

I am just waiting for that day to come.

Archived