Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Why Doesn't the NFL Have 15- and 30-Day Injury Lists?

radagast5

With the assorted injuries we're currently facing, and the roster-shuffling problems they create, something dawned on me:

When an injured NFL player goes on IR, it's for the entire season. Why does the NFL not adopt a policy of 15- and 30- and 60-day IR status? Why does IR have to be the remainder of the season?

Is it because such parameters on IR create salary cap loopholes?

Anyone have any insight on this?

I know the CFL has a 9 game list which is half the season, I would love to see the NFL something like this, 8 games would make sense. I hate how IR is the whole season, especially when a guy get hurt early like Thomas did. I remember in 2005 Patten was put on IR and was healthy enough to come back for the playoffs but couldn't play.

I know the CFL has a 9 game list which is half the season, I would love to see the NFL something like this, 8 games would make sense. I hate how IR is the whole season, especially when a guy get hurt early like Thomas did. I remember in 2005 Patten was put on IR and was healthy enough to come back for the playoffs but couldn't play.

This happened with Jansen in 2004. He had the Achilles injury very early in preseason and was (according to him at least) ready to play by the last three weeks of December, but was on IR rendering the point moot.

Same thing happened to Jerry Rice back in 1995 or so. He blew out his knee opening week and they kept him on the active roster. He made it back in time for the final week of the season. It would make sense, to me, to have *some* sort of mid-term IR option like the one you referenced in the CFL.

because the season isnt 8million days long like baseball. Plus, they already have the inactive list, so there is no need for it. If you have to make six guys inactive every week anyways, youd assume that those that are injured will just be on the inactive list.

But I believe the even if they are inactive, they still count towards the salary cap and roster spot.

If you IR someone, it free's up the roster spot which is why people do it.

I agree that an 8 game IR, would benefit all teams and help out with bringing people back slowly.

However, there is the PUP, where they are out the first 6 weeks of the seaosn and then can come back. But I am not 100% sure how it works during the season.

because the season isnt 8million days long like baseball. Plus, they already have the inactive list, so there is no need for it. If you have to make six guys inactive every week anyways, youd assume that those that are injured will just be on the inactive list.
Just what I was going to say.

its because guys like joe gibbs would abuse a system like this to stash players and such, like back in his first stint here guys would go on IR for a hangnail type injury just so we could hold their rights and develop them in closed practices

its because guys like joe gibbs would abuse a system like this to stash players and such, like back in his first stint here guys would go on IR for a hangnail type injury just so we could hold their rights and develop them in closed practices

Like Derrick Blaylock? He might actually be down for the year but hell if I know because I never hear anything about his injury and then all of a sudden hes done for the year...

Simple, you have league officials monitor practices on an unannounced, spot-check basis and if the team is caught practicing one of these IR-d players, then they're liable for crippling penalties and punitive damages (loss of draft picks, etc.)

That would avail a 30-day IR option for its intended use while hedging against abusing the system to stash players.

NFL's version of the 15 and 30 day DL is the PUP list. A player has up to 6 games not to suit up(Richard Seymour and Holmes are on it right now) and after the 6 games, the team either has a choice to IR them for the rest of the way or put them on the 53 man roster. Correct me if I'm wrong.

the NFL doesn't have a farm system.

those 60 day DL calls are made and teams bring up players from AA or AAA to the major league roster.

the only support system teams have in the NFL is the practice squad.

but with only 8 spots, many positions on the NFL roster are not covered with depth on the PS.

DING DING DING...

Abuse is the main reason. It would be WAY too easy to totally destroy the current roster limits if you could just stick people on IR and bring them back all the time.

DING DING DING...

Abuse is the main reason. It would be WAY too easy to totally destroy the current roster limits if you could just stick people on IR and bring them back all the time.

The IR rules as they are now are specifically directed at Joe Gibbs. He used to Redshirt players on IR because they were allowed to practice in the old days. That's how we developed Quarterbacks.

Archived