Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Gibbs Ver. 1.0 "Halftime Adjustments Genius": Myth or Fact?

radagast5

Heard frequently in the din of screaming Redskin fans queueing up for post-loss ritual suicide was: "Gibbs used to be such a halftime genius back in the day, what happened?"

Yeah, Gibbs used to kill teams in the second half back in the 1980s. Or did he? Memory has a merciful way of becoming nostalgia in which the bad is filtered into oblivion leaving only those golden, glowing moments for which Redskin nation has pined since 1992. Maybe we're all remembering Gibbs' first tenure inaccurately, forgetting the bad moments (conveniently but not purposefully) and skewing the facts in the process. So...I did the homework, tabulating how many times in each of Gibbs' two tenures the Redskins outscored their opponents in the second half.

Disclaimer: the title "halftime adjustments genius" begs the question: what exactly IS a halftime adjustments genius? It's a broad term with multiple implications, and proper analysis requires a lot of context which I have neither the time nor the inclination to provide. (i.e., Using simple second half stats might be misleading if say, the opponent has a 35-0 halftime lead on the Skins and just sits on it, allowing the Skins to score a couple garbage "prevent" TDs. The stats sheet would say the Skins outscored the opponent in the second half, but would largely have no bearing on Gibbs' ability to adjust at halftime. The reverse scenario also could happen.) That disclaimer aside, here's what I found:

In Gibbs 205 regular and post-season games (1981-1992), the Redskins outscored the opponents in the second half 108 times. That's roughly 52%.

In Gibbs' 53 regular and post-season games (2004-present), the Redskins have outscored the opponents in the second half 25 times. Roughly 47%.

Having seen the stats: what's your gut reaction? Does either percentage strike you as surprising? Is that intervening 5% the definitive margin between "genius" and "Ordinary Joe"?

As for the 5% difference the Redskins teams of the past obviously had better players and there was no salary cap. I don't think it has anything to do with "genius" or "ordinary". The Redskins of the past knew how to close teams out. The Redskins of the present don't have the talent to close people out every Sunday.

I remember several times between 1989-1991 trailing at the half and coming back for a win

A couple of examples I can think of off the top of my head

November 1990, down 35-14 to the Lions at the Silverdome, Gibbs puts in Jeff Rutledge to replace an ineffective Stan Humphries. The Redskins come back to win in OT 41-38

September 1991, down 21-10 to the Cowboys on MFN in Dallas. Gibbs turns to the running game, the Redskins come back and win 33-31 to go to 2-0 and break a 6 game MNF losing streak

October 1991, down 13-0 at the Meadowlands at the half, the Redskins come back to win it 17-13. This was a HUGE win, took the Giants monkey off our back (had lost a bunch in a row to them) and put the Redskins at 8-0

Keep your cotton-picking hands off of our storied myths.

Seriously, I'm sure this legend gets burnished over time, just like the legend that RFK was like some PG-Rated Valhalla, where never was heard a discouraging (or curse) word, the wine and cheesers were nowhere to be found, and beer and other concessions were handed out free by Jack Kent Cooke personally.

There was some truth behind the notion of Joe Gibbs' halftime adjustment ability, and I don't think looking at aggregate 2nd half scoring numbers is enough to refute it.

Beyond anecdotal evidence, or other contempory accounts of NFL analysts marveling at the halftime adjustment wizardry, I would be curious to see the percentage of Redskins drives opening the second half that led to scores, and compare that to the norm. To my fading memory, that would be a stat that would support the legend.

Edit: And as others have said, perhaps an easier stat to research: the games the Skins won in which they trailed at the half. Go ahead and do the research radagst5 - if you challenge the myth, you're on the hook to crunch the numbers! :laugh:

The Redskins of the present don't have the talent to close people out every Sunday.

I don't buy that. Kicking ass for one half and falling apart in the second has nothing to do with talent or personnel (otherwise, we never would be ahead in the first place), it's all about the coaching.

Edit: And as others have said, perhaps an easier stat to research: the games the Skins won in which they trailed at the half. Go ahead and do the research radagst5 - if you challenge the myth, you're on the hook to crunch the numbers! :laugh:

In my boredom I may actually do this, I gotta find Tandler's book because he has every single game listed in there

The 3 I listed off the top of my head can't be the only ones, just the most memorable ones and the only ones I really remember since I started watching football as a 7 year old in 1989

I am thinking that Cinci game in 1991 was a comeback win at the half, as was the win against the Cardinals late in 1991 where Gibbs kicked chairs and did some antics at halftime

Redskin’s fans need to move on and start worrying about Detroit. The problem with this team is there are too many coaches. What is an Associate Head Coach or Assistant Head Coach? It is the equivalent of too many Chiefs and not enough Indians. Ultimately what this will create is a lack of continuity with no clear objective. Players will eventually become frustrated and you will begin to see images of last year. The Redskins do not use the talent that they have correctly. With the talent that they have at wide receiver, they should be spreading the field. Moss, Randel EL, Lloyd, and now Caldwell, Portis and Cooley; defensive backs should shutter at this group of talent.

I don't buy that. Kicking ass for one half and falling apart in the second has nothing to do with talent or personnel (otherwise, we never would be ahead in the first place), it's all about the coaching.

Not neccessarily, remember the other team gets paid millions to play also

Springs not hitting Plexiglass a second early, and its a 4th down punt for the Giants. Instead 2 plays later, Plexiglass beats C Rogers and somehow holds onto the football as Landry plows into him going into the endzone

(A note on that play, I saw a missle coming out of the corner of my eye as Plaxico was running towards me and then a huge collision, I have no idea how Plaxico held onto the ball the way he was hit by Landry)

A fun read. Look a fake punt by Gibbs in the 2nd half!

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/football/cowboys/classic/recordbook/yearbyyear/1991/091091redskins.html

Fired-up Cowboys fizzle out, 33-31

Redskins take control in fourth quarter

9/10/1991

By RICK GOSSELIN / The Dallas Morning News

IRVING – The Cowboys showed the nation their new high-powered offense Monday night. But the Washington Redskins showed the Cowboys an even higher-powered attack.

The Redskins slugged their way to a 33-31 victory over the Cowboys before a sellout crowd of 63,025 at Texas Stadium and a national television audience. Washington gained a share of first place in the NFC East with a 2-0 record, while the Cowboys fell to 1-1.

Washington received four field goals from Chip Lohmiller, including two from more than 50 yards, a long touchdown from Art Monk and short touchdowns from Jimmie Johnson and Gerald Riggs as the Redskins spoiled the Cowboys' first appearance on Monday Night Football since 1988.

That offset another big game by Cowboys halfback Emmitt Smith, who rushed for 112 yards for the second consecutive week and scored two touchdowns. Ken Willis also kicked a 50-yard field goal for the second consecutive week for the Cowboys.

The offenses mustered 39 first downs and 678 yards in addition to the 64 points – the most the old rivals have scored against each other since 1962.

"We knew we had to score a lot of points, because we knew they were going to score," Cowboys coach Jimmy Johnson said.

The teams combined for 22 first downs, 441 yards and 41 points in the first half, with the Cowboys sitting precariously on top, 21-20. They then swapped long field goals in the third quarter, with Lohmiller hitting a 45-yarder and Willis a 51-yarder. That allowed the Cowboys to stay on top, 24-23.

But the Redskins took the lead for good at 30-24 on Riggs' touchdown early in the fourth quarter. Washington capitalized on a roughing-the-passer call against Danny Stubbs and a fake punt to sustain that 85-yard drive.

With the Redskins facing third-and-12 at their 24, Gary Clark dropped a pass from Mark Rypien. But Stubbs was penalized 15 yards on the play, giving the Redskins a first down. Then on fourth-and-one from their 48, the Redskins ran a fake punt with Brian Mitchell taking the indirect snap and sneaking three yards off right guard for the first down.

Rypien hit Terry Orr for 23 yards and Clark for 18 to the Dallas one. Riggs powered in off left tackle on the next play.

The Redskins built the lead to 33-24 on Lohmiller's fourth field goal, giving Washington the cushion it would need to absorb a six-yard touchdown pass from Troy Aikman to Michael Irvin with two seconds remaining.

Jimmy Johnson shot electricity into an already-charged Monday night atmosphere just three minutes into the game when he elected to go for it on a fourth-and-three at the Washington 38. The Cowboys called a timeout, then Aikman hit tight end Jay Novacek on a curl route in the middle for 17 yards.

"I felt like we could make it," Johnson said. "I also wanted to establish a tempo that we were going to get after them."

That was the highlight of an 11-play, 80-yard drive that gave the Cowboys a 7-0 lead. Novacek scored the touchdown on a three-yard pass from Aikman. Novacek caught three passes in the drive for 34 yards.

The fired-up Cowboys then stopped the Redskins on downs in their opening possession, with cornerback Issiac Holt making a fine deflection on a third-down pass intended for Art Monk. But Kelvin Martin muffed a punt by Kelly Goodburn at midfield, and it was batted toward the Cowboys' end zone.

Redskins linebacker Ravin Caldwell finally fell on the bouncing football at the Dallas 25. It took just three plays for the Redskins to score from there, on a three-yard pass from Rypien to Jimmie Johnson.

But the score didn't stay tied long. Smith bolted 75 yards around left end two plays later, slipping three arm tackles and outracing free safety Brad Edwards and linebacker Andre Collins. It was the longest touchdown run for the Cowboys since Herschel Walker ran 84 yards against Philadelphia on Dec. 14, 1986.

It also gave Smith a 100-yard performance before the game was 12 minutes old. That put him at 104 yards in five carries. But Smith became sick to his stomach after the run and was in and out of the lineup the rest of the night with a touch of the flu. He rushed for only eight yards on six carries the remainder of the game and received an I.V. at halftime.

"He just wasn't himself, and that slowed us somewhat," Johnson said.

After Lohmiller kicked a 53-yard field goal, the Cowboys ate more than nine minutes off the clock and built their lead to 21-10 on a five-yard touchdown pass from Aikman to Smith. It was Smith's first career touchdown reception, and it capped an 84-yard, 16-play drive. Aikman completed four third-down passes on the drive to four receivers.

But the Redskins got that one back quickly on a 37-yard touchdown pass from Rypien to Monk. Lohmiller added his second 50-yard field goal of the night in the closing seconds of the first half. This one, a 52-yarder, pulled the Redskins within 21-20 at halftime.

But the Cowboys started to self-destruct when Novacek fumbled away a reception on their second play of the second half. Washington's Markus Koch recovered at the Cowboys' 29 and Lohmiller kicked a 45-yard field goal four plays later to give the Redskins their first lead at 23-21.

Holt ended Washington's next possession with an interception at the Cowboys' 36, and Aikman hit Alvin Harper with a 29-yard pass on the next play. That set up a 51-yard field goal by Willis that allowed put Cowboys back in front, 24-23.

OK. They kicked ass in the first half. Do the players need to told they have the Giants on the ropes?? What happened to the defense?? I think they got complacent. Some of it probably was coaching but the players still have to play the game.

The halftime adjustments happened. I have a theory to explain why they happened then and why we haven't seen them this time around.

In Gibbs 1.0, the Coryell-Gibbs offense was innovative. It was well ahead of the defenses of its day. Joe could make halftime adjustments that defenses could not anticipate and counter. When he came back in 2004 with his old guard coaches, trying to run the same offense, it fell flat. Joe was the one playing catch up.

I'll have to dig through some old threads, but I showed last year that we lost games in the 3rd quarter. Of course, much of the blame was Eff'n Brunell's, but maybe there's more to the story (gasp).

Giants game, time of possession in 3rd Qtr:

Giants: 11:47

Redskins: 3:13

Skins offense: 9 yards gained on 6 plays. Two 3-and-out's.

1st possession, 5 minutes into the 3rd qtr:

1-10-WAS 30 (9:46) C.Portis right guard to WAS 33 for 3 yards (M.Kiwanuka).

2-7-WAS 33 (9:13) J.Campbell pass incomplete deep left to S.Moss.

3-7-WAS 33 (9:07) J.Campbell pass incomplete short left to S.Moss.

Punt

2nd possession, 6 mins left in 3rd qtr:

1-10-WAS 14 (6:00) J.Campbell pass short left to C.Portis to WAS 10 for -4 yards (S.Madison).

2-14-WAS 10 (5:22) C.Portis right end to WAS 18 for 8 yards (M.Kiwanuka).

3-6-WAS 18 (4:40) J.Campbell scrambles up the middle to WAS 20 for 2 yards (A.Ross).

Punt.

I know its been a LONG time but the genius making the halftime adjustments was known by all as Richie Petitbone on defense, not so much Joe Gibbs.

Smashmouth football lasted pretty much the whole game with pockets of Coryell thrown in.

Richie would radically change at halftime. All the announcers at the time would comment at almost every game.

Look at the 87 superbowl when they changed their blocking scheme after the first quarter. Not quite a half time adjustment, but you get the idea..

Exactly kinda how CR now plays up closer on receiver. We need to make more on the go adjustments. Like I said they (Staff and Play Caller) should have changed it up a bit after they saw the O struggle on the first 3-n-out.

Archived