Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USAT. "Paranoia running rampant among NFL coaches"

FrFan

Paranoia running rampant among NFL coaches

By Jarrett Bell, USA TODAY

"Washington Redskins coach Joe Gibbs beefed up security at Redskins Park after returning from an 11-year absence in 2004. He bars national media from some practices that are open only to local media — and even those outlets are restricted in the number of representatives allowed to watch. And he has conducted unannounced practices at a local high school. Gibbs insists he isn't paranoid. "You just want to be smart and protect yourself as best as you can," he said.

Is it true that Gibbs has personally emptied trash cans — not trusting janitors for the task — with scraps of X's and O's from the offices of assistant coaches at night?

"Doesn't everybody do that?" he said with a hint of sarcasm.

Gibbs has a clear vision of what he's protecting from opponents.

"I think you can learn a lot," he said. "If you knew what a team was going to do against you, there are so many things you could do.""

Joe Gibbs is security consious, George Allen was downright paranoid. But if you think of it as a war, then it is quite understandable. It would not surprise me if we found out how much people try and get other teams schemes/plays. Belichek is guilty because he got caught. Is that right? Not necessarily, but probably true.

man this is some james bond stuff

"Former Houston Texans general manager Charley Casserly, now an analyst for CBS' The NFL Today, served on the competition committee for years. He said another tactic uncovered was teams concealing microphones on defensive linemen to record signals from quarterbacks. By matching the audio to game tapes, teams might gather audibles that could be useful in future matchups. "

I think what's funny about this article is the fact that they make it seem like he never did this before. Gibbs has ALWAYS been elusive.

It's so great to have him here as our coach. Forget the record. I love the man!

Yeah... that's what Kornheiser was saying on MNF... fans would blame "Snyder, the players, and the Bush administration before blaming Coach Joe."

And I looked at my wife and said: "D*mn right! That's ol' Joe!"

I don't care what the record is... just glad to see Joe Gibbs on the sideline. And beat Dallas at least once a year... if not twice!

;-)

JB

Remember the Hog days, when our O-line told the defense what the next play was, and it didn't matter because they couldn't stop us? :laugh:
:laugh: They ran they same running play at Randy White something like ten times in a row and the lineman kept telling him it was coming.

Tremendous.

Lol, it's really not paranoia when they are out to get you...

Let's face it folks, with the amount of money on the line (both as part of the sport -- playoffs, bonuses, contracts, etc; and part of gambling), it seems prudent to ensure that a team does everything it can to ensure that only they have the information on what they will be doing on game day.

Personally, with all of those analysts, and the available film and (likely audio), it would not suprise me at all that each time that you play, the signals, plays run from different formations, tendencies, and etc. are being recorded and regurgitated for study and use during the next game vs. that opponent, and added to an overall database for that team.

It also would not surprise me in the least if teams where eavesdropping on helmet communications or jamming those occaisonally. It's relatively easy to do that and very hard to trace.

Now, I would not think that Joe Gibbs would be doing that, or authorizing that, or condoning the Skins doing that. However, there are 31 other teams who are hungry for wins, and whose staff may not share the rigorously upright character that Joe has. Don't know about you, but I would be checking the trash, and lots of other things too.

Archived