Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Less Cushion = Better Rogers

Brandon Lloyd Christmas

Not to piss on your parade or anything like that, but he wasn't exactly covering Randy Moss.

We need to be careful who we allow #22 to press. Because from the looks of things, Kevin Curtis had a step on him running down the field. What will it be like against TO or Moss?

now why'd you have to say that today. you coulda waited til friday or somethin. not that i thought he was champ bailey or anything, but i was feelin very good readin this thread, and now i don't feel as good, i think i just feel pretty good now. but you do bring up good point by the way.

Not to piss on your parade or anything like that, but he wasn't exactly covering Randy Moss.

We need to be careful who we allow #22 to press. Because from the looks of things, Kevin Curtis had a step on him running down the field. What will it be like against TO or Moss?

well so far it loosk like a given that moss is gonna burn everyone, but for both of these guys, he'll have taylor helping over top, as he should because both of these guys warrant 2x coverage.

but i liked what i saw from rogers a lot yesterday. i didnt see curtis get any step on him, maybe one, and taylor was right there when the ball came down. and i liked that we were in mcnabbs face all ngiht. we continue to apply pressure, our DBs will take care of the rest, plain and simple.

I've always said that rogers isn't as bad as everyone on this board thinks. and he's always been a tough physical corner. Last night is even more evidence that that "ridiculous" cushion that everyone talks about is a product of the scheme. Quit knocking rogers and its about time all you rogers haters woke up.

I'd love to see us play press coverage like that all the time. Notice that when we backed off in the 4th, McNabb looked great while having nothing to throw at for 3 quarters?

And what a difference a pass rush makes. Now, lets go get a legit LDE. Please.

yup, press coverage + pass rush = nowhere to go. why we havent done this is a complete mystery because it worked very well yesterday.

and yes, legit LDE is needed.

So Rogers last night spent a good deal of the game pressed up on his man, we got in mcnabbs face forcing bad throws, and we pretty much shut down their passing game aside from the underneath stuff, which we seem content with allowing.

Ive always been a huge defender of Rogers, and i hope you guys saw what i saw last night. when he doesnt give that ridiculous cushion, hes a very good physical cornerback. he didnt get beat deep, they even purposely went at him to draw a flag at points, and mcnabb really only threw the deep ball maybe 2 or 3 times. he even admitted after the game that he couldnt throw into the coverage we had, and that makes me feel awesome.

but in short, i know people love s***ing on Rogers, but i hope you guys saw what i saw last night. i saw a legit corner on a very good defense.

I totally agree with this... The only problem that I've ever had with Rogers is the ridiculous cushion he gives and his hands... All of this seemed more like a problem with his head, which I hoped was fixable. Last night he played great, and on a number of occasions he played tight. However, there were quite a few spots when they scanned the secondary prior to the snap and you'd see Shawn Springs giving his 3-5 yard cushion and Carlos giving anywhere from 10-15 yards. This is definitely not some grand scheme by the coaches... This has to be the player reading the offense... I believe this week, the coaches enforced it upon these players that they would challenge Eagles' wide receivers. Let's hope this is a sign of good things to come and not just a sign of a really inept group of receivers and a very inaccurate quarterback.

Carlos stepped up last night. They challenged #22 often and I thought he did a great job and almost had a pick. If we can get some pressure up front then I'm sure this group is going to start getting INTs. If not, I think its obvious what we'll be looking for in next year's draft. A pass rushing DL or a WR.

disagree, philly never has good WRs and mcnabb is always able to put up silly yards with his guys. we knocked their entire WR unit around last night pretty hard.

Carlos did get lucky on at least one play in the end zone that McNabb overthrew Baskett (I believe)... If McNabb throws the ball at Baskett's head instead of 4 feet over his head, that's 6 points. Still, even if he gave up that one play... He would've had a fairly decent game. I can't quibble about his performance so far this year, even if I don't like seeing that huge cushion trotted out. If he can make it work this year, he can play 30 yards off the line for all I care.

Curtis obviously isn't in the same league as those guys, but there was also one play where Rogers had Curtis beat and was playing receiver with Curtis holding onto his jersey for dear life...if those two players had been reversed, it would have been pass interference or at least defensive holding. Carlos has played like a solid NFL corner for two games in a row now...let's see if he can keep it up.

Archived