Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

UK Skins Fans Roll Call

WickedSkins

I'm new to ExtremeSkins and I'm so glad to have found this place.

However, I've noticed, to my surprise, quite a few fellow fans from the UK. I was born in Derbyshire, raised in Surrey and moved to the US about 20 years ago. The entire time I've lived in America I've been an avid Redskin fan.

To all UK fans, please come out of the woodwork and let yourself be known!

I'd like to know why you became a Redskin fan, how long you've been one and what your background is.

Hey man.

I live in Harwich, Essex. Dad started supporting the Redskins in the 70s and annoyed the hell out of my mum by following them since. Probably what made me start following it too hehe.

Bought my Dad tickets to the Wembley game for his 50th birthday. Will be cheering on the Dolphins.

Optimistic about our start to the season. Bring on the Giants next week!!

Present :)

Been a Skins fan since '82 which was when the NFL was first shown in a big way over in the UK. The Super Bowl was the first shown live and was a Skins fan after watching Riggins and co beat Miami - been on board ever since throw thick, thin and thinner.

I played football in the British leagues in the mid 80's - QB for Preston Pirates - and then coached a bit. Saw my first live Skins game in '93 on Monday night in Miami. Die hard now - get gamepass so I can watch every game live - stay up to watch the evening kickoffs which start about 1.30 AM UK time etc etc.

I was a regular on the Webskins mailing list and also wrote a bit for Hogs.net when it first started.

Ey up.

Leeds, England here. Been a Skins fan since the 82 superbowl (the first shown live in the UK).

Over the last few years seen the them play at home and away and going to watch them in Tampa this year.

Will also be at Wembley next month hoping the Dolphins slap the Gnats.

Still bleary eyed having stayed up to watch our great win over Philly.

Ey up.

Still bleary eyed having stayed up to watch our great win over Philly.

You and me both with the bleary eyes!

The Ey Up will be lost on all our UK southern friends - and it might take a bit of explaining to the guys and gals from the US - but it works for me even if I am on the other side of the Pennines :)

Forgot to say I'll be at Wembley for the Dolphins v Giants game as well. The way the Giants are playing I might even get the start at corner ......

Thanks for the replies fellas, it's interesting to find out why fellow Brits follow American football and especially the Skins.

I've always liked the Redskins after buying a Redskins poster in San Francisco back in 1980 while on holiday. Once I moved permanently in 1988 the Skins became MY team and I've followed them ever since.

I've seen them play twice live, once at home (FedEx last season) and once on the road in Jacksonville. Both times the Skins won, I might add. :)

Keep the comments coming as I'm getting homesick.

You should go more often!

Yes, I should. Getting tickets is the problem, especially for home games.

The only reason I got tickets before is because my brother-in-law played for Jacksonville. He was picked up by the Patriots this season and the little bugger won't return my e-mails or phone calls. I suppose he knows I'm looking for Redskin/Patriot tickets next month. :rolleyes:

WigSkin - location clue in name.

Like many UK Skins fans followed team from '82 onwards. My brother decided to support Dullass just to annoy me and then he switched to the (then) L.A. Raiders just before THAT SB (lets just say it ended badly that day not only for the skins!).

Never seen them in the flesh (for one reason and another) and was unable to get tickets for the Wembley game this year as it clashes with the wife's birthday!

However I have decided next year is the one I make the pilgrimage to see my beloved Skins. Should have planned it better for this year but hey, time flies when you work like a dog! ;)

I'm new to ExtremeSkins and I'm so glad to have found this place.

However, I've noticed, to my surprise, quite a few fellow fans from the UK. I was born in Derbyshire, raised in Surrey and moved to the US about 20 years ago. The entire time I've lived in America I've been an avid Redskin fan.

To all UK fans, please come out of the woodwork and let yourself be known!

I'd like to know why you became a Redskin fan, how long you've been one and what your background is.

I'm new here, but I recently read on the web that Dave Pybus, the bass player for the UK band Cradle of Filth is a big Redskins fan.

Sup fellow Skins fanatics!!

:dallasuck

There are a few others part from us, if they ever see the thread.

I'm old enough to remember football being shown in very restricted highlights form on 'World of Sport' on ITV in the early/mid-70s. Usually they showed who won the championship games and then the SB. It was a weird looking game that I didnt understand, as no sooner were they showing it than it was done until the next year! but the next year I would be making sure I caught it again. When Channel 4 in the UK started showing it, it was a dream come true! :cool:

Been a Redskins fan for a loooong time. Dont know why - why do you get hooked on any team in any sport? something connects for some reason. Sure, we won the SB when Channel 4 started showing it but its the memories of players like Riggins, Jacoby, Grimm, Butz, Monk, Didier...the list goes on. It was just a phenomenal mix of players.

I played for the Edinburgh Eagles in the 80's at corner back/safety and had the odd (some would say very odd!) run at running back. Helped coach a junior team as well.

Just a sport that I have been stuck on for years. I have never been to a Redskins game but the time must surely come! :):cheers:

Maybe we could try to organise a UK fan game. Pick a game, get tickets and all meet to watch the Redskins play at home at FedEx Field.

It would be tough to set up, but not impossible. The 2008 season would give us something to aim for and would give plenty of time to work out the details.

Just a thought (or dream).

Maybe we could try to organise a UK fan game. Pick a game, get tickets and all meet to watch the Redskins play at home at FedEx Field.

It would be tough to set up, but not impossible. The 2008 season would give us something to aim for and would give plenty of time to work out the details.

Just a thought (or dream).

Lets sort it that would be amazing

Skins fan since 1982, got into football in a big way and have been playing since I was 15. Played at Junior and Youth for Great Britain and was in camp with the GB senior squad this year, although at 37 I decided running with 21 year old d-ends was a bridge too far LOL.Play at left tackle and can spot at right guard.

Coming over to DC in December for the Bears game with 2 mates and meeting up with a guy from Cleveland who used to play for our team in the UK, before that we are in Pittsburgh for the Bengals game and in Baltimore for the Monday nighter against the Patriots, ending with G-men at the Eagles.

It will be my first Skins game and I cant wait to get to Fed Ex, one of my mates is a big time Bears fan so one of us will leave disappointed,hope its not me !!!!!

Getting tickets isn't a problem at all, you can do the trip cheaper than you think guys !!! Don't wait 25 years like I have !!!

Another UK fan here :D :D

Live in sunny Basildon, Essex

Been a Skins fan since the Superbowl in 1988 & this year will be fufilling a life long ambition by going over to see 2 Redskins games in December (Bills & Bears) thanks to a fellow member on this here forum :notworthy :notworthy

I'll also be at Wembley for the Dolphins Vs Giants game which I cant wait for gonna be a great day.

Warlord,

Not really many sports bars that I know of that show NFL over here your best bet would be a subscription to Sky TV as Sky Sports have the UK rights to the NFL.

Neil

I've been a Redskins fan since 83. Was one of the first members of the St Helens Cardinals as a 16 year old. Played a few positions over the years and finished at left tackle once my speed has gone and I had finished growing. Love the sport.

Am going to be a Dolphin fan for the day at Wembley. I am going with my son. I am brainwashing him into watching the game. Unfortunately he thinks we are rubbish and supports the Colts. Typical glory hunting 14 year old.

Am going to watch Redskins Cowboys at Fedex. It would be so good to be competative and playing for the divisional crown. I am bringing the wife. She always said she couldn't atnd the sport so I made her watch it. When we were driving for the winning score against the Fins she was jumping up and down with me.

OI OI

Ey up lads!

Derby - urgh, but for this one I will let you off.

Channel 4 as a wee sprog basically was where I got my addiction - well thats where I first saw it. Everyone in my school (age 5ish) had raiders jackets or "followed" the Bears and that D. I wanted to be different. That said, was not a "soccer" (i will never get used to calling it that) fan per se and wanted something a little more violent in my taste of sports and so opted for this. I saw the Skins and liked the uniforms so I picked them as my team. Played with them on Madden ALL the time (this was like 92 or something) on my old Sega and as soon as i got the internet proper began to root for them properly again.

Have not managed to get to a game yet due to money but hope to go this year or next.

Glad to see plenty more of you guys on the boards though, these Americans just dont get our sense of humour sometimes.

First game I saw was the SB loss to the Raiders, been a huge fan ever since. Now with better Sky coverage plus internet, I can hopefully watch every game live this year, having only missed one last year - great to see the guys begin to resemble those hard hitting warriors of the 80s again !

Archived