Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Breaking News: Cooley Extended

JimmiJo

I tend to disagree.

Cooley can catch.

Cooley can run.

Cooly can break tackles...basically his YAC is incredible.

He is also a solid blocker at the TE spot.

Put it in perspective

Daniel Grahm got a 5 year 30 million dollar deal this offseason that includes $15 million in guaranteed money and he is not even close to cooleys league.

From what I've seen Cooley's blocking skills are nowhere near what I expect out of a Tight End. In my mind the position is basically the Offensive Tackle with the best hands on the team. Yes, he is a good receiver, but that's not really what my main focus is when I look for a Tight End.

While I agree with you that Graham isn't in Cooley's league as a pass catcher... he's essentially a sixth offensive lineman when he lines up with his hand down. In my mind, that makes his skill set more valuable than Cooley's though the fact that he's been a Patriot makes him personally worthless to me.

this is a very good day!!! locking up Cooley was a must & i was as afraid as many others on this board that we would procrastinate too long on this deal. i'm very excited to know that we have Cooley for a looooong time in a Redskins uniform.

good day indeed!

now lock up Sean Taylor!!!

From what I've seen Cooley's blocking skills are nowhere near what I expect out of a Tight End. In my mind the position is basically the Offensive Tackle with the best hands on the team. Yes, he is a good receiver, but that's not really what my main focus is when I look for a Tight End.

While I agree with you that Graham isn't in Cooley's league as a pass catcher... he's essentially a sixth offensive lineman when he lines up with his hand down. In my mind, that makes his skill set more valuable than Cooley's though the fact that he's been a Patriot makes him personally worthless to me.

Well i guess we have a big difference in what we want out of our TE then.

I think guys like Gonzo and Gates who are pass catches are much more valuable than the blocking TE. Hell we can line up an extra lineman or Sellers there if we really want that much blocking.

Cooley is our only possesion option and he moves the chains and that is what counts for me.

Hell, Cooley has changed games single handley by himself and won games by himself, that is something that I cannot put on the same level as an extra blocker like DG.

That's a LOT of cash for a one-tool player. Especially when it's not the tool I consider to be of the utmost importance for a Tight End.

It's nice that we've extended him... I just think that's too much money.

It happens to be the tool that makes him very valuable as a TE. Think of him as a very large, slower WR that can make all the catches.

I knew they'd get it done and I'm glad to see that monkey off the team's back.

Jason

I'd like to know exactly what the numbers are before I start dancing on this one. I've seen a couple different sets of them now and I'm not real happy with all of them. If we gave him more than a couple million a year (maybe as high as $2.5 Mil) that's fine and I'll agree it's a good move. If we gave him more than that, considering he's a receiving TE almost exclusively, I think we paid too much.

It happens to be the tool that makes him very valuable as a TE. Think of him as a very large, slower WR that can make all the catches.

I knew they'd get it done and I'm glad to see that monkey off the team's back.

Jason

Jason, Me and you agree on something for sure now.

His possesion skills make him priceless along with the fact that he can take a 7 yard in and turn it into a game winning 3 tackle breaking score.

I think Al Saunders' main focus is to get a tight end that can catch passes, generate YAC, and do an average job blocking. Chris Cooley is a better blocker than Tony Gonzalez... We paid for a guy who fits into our system, was our leading receiver last season, loves being a Redskin, has a great work ethic, has never been injured, and if he gets more than 700 receiving yards or goes to the pro bowl this season, we underpaid for him compared to TE's on other teams.

I'd like to know exactly what the numbers are before I start dancing on this one. I've seen a couple different sets of them now and I'm not real happy with all of them. If we gave him more than a couple million a year (maybe as high as $2.5 Mil) that's fine and I'll agree it's a good move. If we gave him more than that, considering he's a receiving TE almost exclusively, I think we paid too much.

Let me put it too you this way,

Daniel Grahams contract was for equal overall money, larger guaranteed money and less years. This is a steal for the skins.

The Broncos outbid the Seahawks for Patriots tight end Daniel Graham in negotiations that went well into Tuesday night. Graham ended up with a five-year, $30 million deal from the Broncos that included $15 million in guarantees.

Agree we need to see the final numbers but unless they are way higher than what we have seen we have paid lower end top 10 money based on this years salary cap for a guy just aout everyone agrees is a top 10 NFL TE. If Cooley has the year we are expecting/hoping it would have cost us a LOT more to sign him long term next year and if we had franchised him it would have spoiled the relationship and maybe put us in a holdout situation.

This is a good thing we have done.

Well I am glad there will actually be some universal peace in the forum for a couple of hours. Everyone seems genuinely happy and thankful for the re-up of Cooley.

But Ill be willing to bet $10 that everyone will be moaning and groaning again at 4 when we find out who didn't/did make the team. Everyone will go right back to hating on the FO. Bank on it.

Well i guess we have a big difference in what we want out of our TE then.

I think guys like Gonzo and Gates who are pass catches are much more valuable than the blocking TE. Hell we can line up an extra lineman or Sellers there if we really want that much blocking.

Yes we do have a big difference in what we look for. Nothing wrong with that, just different ways of looking at the position. I think it's great that Cooley has good speed and hands. His ability to catch the ball would be a great addition if he could utilized as a check-down option or a change of pace receiver. That's the role I prefer to see out of the TE position.

If you're FEATURING a TE in your passing offense, it's probably not one I'm going to find a lot of things to like in.

Cooley is our only possesion option and he moves the chains and that is what counts for me.

That's a matter of the issue that we have the world's largest single collection of #4 WR talent. We have Moss and a group of guys who aren't even worthy of being #3 receivers on most decent teams. The fact that we have to use our TE for that job isn't really a positive in my book.

Hell, Cooley has changed games single handley by himself and won games by himself, that is something that I cannot put on the same level as an extra blocker like DG.

I'd suggest the fact that he has changed games and had to win them speaks volumes about the ineffectiveness of our offense; both systemically and personnel-wise over the last several years.

That's fine. Then line him up off the end of the line and call him a #4 WR. When he lines up tight to the formation, just outside the OT, he's a tight end and so far as I'm concerned it's more important that he can beat the piss out of that defensive end or blitzing outside linebacker than the fact that he can catch the ball really well.

6 year 30 mill, 14 garenteed. Min salary for the first 2 years.

Cheer up, he is a top receiving TE in the league.

Archived