Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Legal question/warning for Redskins fans

NewCliche21

He must have been huge Raven's fan. :D

No but seriously, I have been living in MD for a very long time with my dark tinted red sports car and licence plate cover with the date and year right below the frame peaking out. I have been pulled over for speed, no seat belt, suspended licence - and the car was searched and I even had a knife in my car - ok so that was used to splice wires for the mp3/cd deck I had just installed.

So you just got picked on really bad. Judge will throw out the fine just on remarks only. But I would say talk to a lawyer and sue the cop instead - for using a deragratory comments like that he has basically defamed your character, pain and suffering, mental anguish, and called you a crack head. You could even probably use some of the posts from here to show that you are not the only one who thinks the nice police officer was out of line.

Just to be clear on my image, I am an IT Manager; my red car gets picked on more so then others.

They pulled this crap here in NJ as well. Just more evidence that the state and local governments are using police forces as revenue collectors rather than to serve and protect the citizenry.

Couldn't agree with you more. This absolutely an outrage. This reminds of a couple of years ago the redskins were selling flasks in their stores then they had to stop selling it, because it promoted people sneaking in booze which of course cut into the redskins booze revenues. I wonder if you can get a ticket if you are out of town? The other legal question would be if you can have that team tint on the back of your window? I bet you would be getting a fine for that as well.

Man it don't matter who you are, paying a $65 ticket for that is bull****. I got a $200 speeding ticket in April, but at least I deserved it. Nobody deserves to go through this.

Speaking of speeding tickets, it sucks here in VA. that we have to pay 1000 for speeding. It sucks that only VA. residents are subject to the penalties. I can't imagine that under equal protection clause that this stupid law would be legal.

DRIVE THE ****ING SPEED LIMIT!!!!! :laugh:
If the state would raise the speed limit this wouldnt be a problem.

Everyone speeds because the flow of traffic is faster than the posted limit.

Raise the speed limit 10 miles an hour and have stricter penalities. That would make sense.

If the state would raise the speed limit this wouldnt be a problem.

Everyone speeds because the flow of traffic is faster than the posted limit.

Raise the speed limit 10 miles an hour and have stricter penalities. That would make sense.

Raise the speed limit 10 MPH and those breaking the law will go 10 MPH or faster than the new posted limit.

Crazy shiznit. People ****ing about getting a hefty fine for driving a killing machine faster than posted speed limits. Good thing OSHA does not control safety on our streets..... :2cents:

Raise the speed limit 10 MPH and those breaking the law will go 10 MPH or faster than the new posted limit.

Crazy shiznit. People ****ing about getting a hefty fine for driving a killing machine faster than posted speed limits. Good thing OSHA does not control safety on our streets..... :2cents:

I think you misunderstood.

The speed limits ARE too low in almost all areas, it is UNsafe to drive the speed limit when the flow of traffic is going faster.

The harsh penalities mean more people will drive the speed limit, however the lower speeds will only lead to more traffic and more congestion.

If the state was to raise the limit, people would be able to legally drive with a natural flow of traffic. A harsh penalty for speeding would then be generally accepted because the speeding would now be at high and dangerous speeds and not at the flow of traffic speeds.

The speed limits ARE too low in almost all areas, it is UNsafe to drive the speed limit when the flow of traffic is going faster.

The harsh penalities mean more people will drive the speed limit, however the lower speeds will only lead to more traffic and more congestion.

If the state was to raise the limit, people would be able to legally drive with a natural flow of traffic. A harsh penalty for speeding would then be generally accepted because the speeding would now be at high and dangerous speeds and not at the flow of traffic speeds.

Go skins :cheers:

Happened to me when I was driving in NoVa last year (Alexandria to be exact)

...fortunately, he didnt give me a fine (he was a Skins fan too and this was the day after our win over Dallas with the blocked FG and all) but still, I really liked that license plate holder :(

EDIT: Just want to say that it wasnt the same license plate holder as the one linked to, but it was a Redskins one that still covered the "Maryland" on my plate...

Like I said, it doesn't necessarily involve skin color, but you're right. You sound like the kind of guy who isn't worth a second look to a cop.

It's entirely possible that this guy is just a jerk. We had one officer in my department who was absolutely infamous. As soon as people found out where I worked, people would ask, "Do you know Sgt. XXXXXX?" I'd say "yes" and invariably, question #2 was, "He's an ***hole, isn't he?" :laugh:

Maybe you ran into their Sgt. XXXXX.

You work with Officer Groves?!?

I agree with this! I've been saying this for years. Increase the speed limit AND the penalties for exceeding it. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has thought this.

http://store.redskins.com/productinfo.asp?item=67&deptcode1=514&sn=5

That is illegal to have on your car.

I have a $60 citation to prove it. I was at a corner in Columbia, Maryland and a cop pulled me over. He said that my license plate holder, as linked above, was illegal because it covered part of the plate. "Maryland", the website on the bottom, and my registration expiration dates were all visible, but I still got the fine.

I asked him what he meant, and he made an analogy to crack pipes. I'm not joking. He asked, "You know how you can buy those glass crack pipes in Baltimore?"

"Um, no? I don't smoke crack."

"Well you can buy glass bowls and pipes in a store up there, and it's fine to own it, but you can't use it. That's like your license plate holder."

I asked him about the holders you get when you buy a car, like "Jim Coleman Jaguar" or "Win Kelly Chevrolet", and he said those are all illegal, too. Fantastic.

So, the warning is that if you buy that plate holder, or any Redskins plate holder, you're breaking the law.

The question is to any lawyers/police that read this board: Is this seriously true?

His analogy makes some sense but unless your plate holder is blocking the ability to read the license I don't see the problem. I'm not an expert in Maryland law [or Virginia law for that matter] but I think you should definately dispute this in court.

You know its just comforting to know that the government is out there making sure all those rascals with license plate holders are being caught. What kind of sicko does that, putting a license plate holder on his car? Its a good thing the government is there to regulate it.

Especially in Maryland, considering violent crime rates are so high, its good to see the real criminals being brought to justice while murderers walk the streets. I feel safer and less free already.

Oh yeah that makes sense. Driving a car fast means you should pay thousands of dollars. Forget that you havent neccesarily driven dangerously(big difference). People that drive fast are GENERALY much better drivers. They are capable of driving that speed safely. Not everyone is out for a thrill ride to scare themselves half to death(and im not talking driving 30-40 over here). You know the really bad drivers? The slow ones. I see them every day, they drive 10 mph under the speed limit, half of them are too old to be driving anymore anyway, they dont use their turn signals, dont check their mirrors, and cause near accidents all the time. The reason they drive that slow is because they CANNOT drive faster safely.

Cars were invented to move us places faster than we could previously. Why would you drive a car when you can get exercise and still get to the destination in the same amount of time? Much like we invented trains to go faster than cars, and planes to go faster than trains. If we wanted to get there slowly, we would walk. Further, every year car manufacturers produce safer and safer vehicles, with more safety features, better handling, better brakes you name it. Cars are infinately safer than they were 30 years ago. Further, a 30 year old pickup and a 2 year old sedan do not drive the same at the same speed. Driving the sedan at 70 is far safer than driving the truck at 50. Also, every year localities spend more and more money improving roads, making them safer, more idiot proof, using millions of dollars.

So you explain to me, why it makes sense, when the very PURPOSE of driving is to get to places faster, when cars are getting safer and safer every year and are far safer than they used to be, when roads are getting better and better and are constantly improved upon to MAKE them safer, why the hell speed limits are LOWERED on a consistent basis. I cant remember the last time I saw a speed limit raised in the past 10 years. I can remember many times ive seen them lowered, and lowered. And then you consider that if im driving a 2 year old sedan much safer than a 30 year old pickup, this is given no consideration whatsoever to the safety of my driving, with regard to the speed the driver is going?

And we are LOWERING speed limits? Thats just stupid. Crack down on bad drivers(when they have actually done something wrong), dont crack down on good drivers who drive happen to drive fast(but still be reasonable about it).

Oh yeah that makes sense. Driving a car fast means you should pay thousands of dollars. Forget that you havent neccesarily driven dangerously(big difference). People that drive fast are GENERALY much better drivers. They are capable of driving that speed safely. Not everyone is out for a thrill ride to scare themselves half to death(and im not talking driving 30-40 over here). You know the really bad drivers? The slow ones. I see them every day, they drive 10 mph under the speed limit, half of them are too old to be driving anymore anyway, they dont use their turn signals, dont check their mirrors, and cause near accidents all the time. The reason they drive that slow is because they CANNOT drive faster safely.

Cars were invented to move us places faster than we could previously. Why would you drive a car when you can get exercise and still get to the destination in the same amount of time? Much like we invented trains to go faster than cars, and planes to go faster than trains. If we wanted to get there slowly, we would walk. Further, every year car manufacturers produce safer and safer vehicles, with more safety features, better handling, better brakes you name it. Cars are infinately safer than they were 30 years ago. Further, a 30 year old pickup and a 2 year old sedan do not drive the same at the same speed. Driving the sedan at 70 is far safer than driving the truck at 50. Also, every year localities spend more and more money improving roads, making them safer, more idiot proof, using millions of dollars.

So you explain to me, why it makes sense, when the very PURPOSE of driving is to get to places faster, when cars are getting safer and safer every year and are far safer than they used to be, when roads are getting better and better and are constantly improved upon to MAKE them safer, why the hell speed limits are LOWERED on a consistent basis. I cant remember the last time I saw a speed limit raised in the past 10 years. I can remember many times ive seen them lowered, and lowered. And then you consider that if im driving a 2 year old sedan much safer than a 30 year old pickup, this is given no consideration whatsoever to the safety of my driving, with regard to the speed the driver is going?

And we are LOWERING speed limits? Thats just stupid. Crack down on bad drivers(when they have actually done something wrong), dont crack down on good drivers who drive happen to drive fast(but still be reasonable about it).

I would continue this debate except for the fact we should be talking about REDSKINS FOOTBALL in this forum. Plus you can find this horse dead on about page 15 in the tailgate. Stinks like a mofo too..........

http://store.redskins.com/productinfo.asp?item=67&deptcode1=514&sn=5

That is illegal to have on your car.

I have a $60 citation to prove it. I was at a corner in Columbia, Maryland and a cop pulled me over. He said that my license plate holder, as linked above, was illegal because it covered part of the plate. "Maryland", the website on the bottom, and my registration expiration dates were all visible, but I still got the fine.

I asked him what he meant, and he made an analogy to crack pipes. I'm not joking. He asked, "You know how you can buy those glass crack pipes in Baltimore?"

"Um, no? I don't smoke crack."

"Well you can buy glass bowls and pipes in a store up there, and it's fine to own it, but you can't use it. That's like your license plate holder."

I asked him about the holders you get when you buy a car, like "Jim Coleman Jaguar" or "Win Kelly Chevrolet", and he said those are all illegal, too. Fantastic.

So, the warning is that if you buy that plate holder, or any Redskins plate holder, you're breaking the law.

The question is to any lawyers/police that read this board: Is this seriously true?

Sounds like the pig was trying to make his quota...

Archived