Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

With their first pick in the 2008 Draft the Skins Select...

Veretax

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

Well with Renaldo Wynn getting cut, does that increase the likelihood of a DE? DT seems to be pretty young now. I'd like to see a young Tackle, but not in the first round, unless we pick very late. And Wide receiver who knows. I think though that maybe we trade Betts in 08, and draft portis's eventual heir (Steve Slaton of WVU maybe?)

Best player available that fits a need.

Whichever player they think will be an all-pro.

Especially if a WR or DE or DT is available.

I have to say, it sure would be good to have a big stud on the other side of Moss. Be great if they got DL help round one, WR round two who could start.

Ideally a DE, but there aren't many phenomenal DEs to take in the first round this season.

Chris Long

Positives: Prototype size for the defensive end position. ... Good upper body strength. ... Good burst off the snap. ... Flashes the strength and quickness needed with his hands to disengage from blocks. ... Much better football player than athlete. ... Reads the action quickly and pursues the ballcarrier relentlessly. ... Versatile enough to be moved inside to defensive tackle at times. ... His quickness and technique overcome his lack of size while on the inside. ... Father, Howie, is Hall of Fame defensive end.

Negatives: While he has burst off the snap, Long isn't truly explosive off the edge. ... Because of his work ethic and stellar technique, he may already as good as he's going to be, as he isn't a spectacular natural athlete. ... Lacks the speed off the edge that most 4-3 teams are looking for in a pass rusher. ... Has the strength and instincts to be effective inside at tackle in the 4-3, but his lack of size is a concern. ... Might be limited to the 3-4 alignment to be at his most effective.

Tommy Blake

Positives: Relentless motor. Good quickness off the snap and can gain an instant advantage on the offensive tackle with his burst upfield. Reads the action quickly and puts himself in position to make a play on the ball. Good defender in pursuit, never giving up on the play. Relies on quickness and tenacity to split double-teams when run at, resulting in a high number of tackles for loss.

Negatives: Lacks the mass and power to stand up to runs directed at him, especially against physical double-teams. Can split some double-teams due to his quickness, but gets washed out too often and too many of his tackles come 3-5 yards downfield. Doesn't get his hands up often enough when stalemated in his pass rush. Despite his otherwise impressive career statistics (134 tackles, 36.5 tackles for loss, 19 sacks), Blake has only six career pass breakups, four of which came during his redshirt freshman season.

There are better players we can take. Homer that I am (even today.. the lowest day of days), if we have the pick we should take Jake Long. Not sure how he'd do as a RT though.

A big CB like Terrell Thomas could be useful as well. That might be a bit much money to invest in a secondary, though.

A big WR like Adarius Bowman is also attractive.

I love nfldraftscout

there aren't many phenomenal DEs to take in the first round this season.

dude what are you talking about? calais campbell and tyson jackson are the best ends in the country and i would call them phenominal. both are definitely first round talents. in a perfect world we move up to get campbell.

i still stick to what i said before the draft. this year we should devote our draft to both the lines.

that said it still depends on how this season plays out. a new need may arise before then.

dude what are you talking about? calais campbell and tyson jackson are the best ends in the country and i would call them phenominal. both are definitely first round talents. in a perfect world we move up to get campbell.

i still stick to what i said before the draft. this year we should devote our draft to both the lines.

that said it still depends on how this season plays out. a new need may arise before then.

At this point I don't count on any underclassmen to declare, especially one from a winning program like LSU. I'd be surprised if Campbell didn't declare, and you're right he's an excellent prospect.

I'm also thinking about next year's draft much the same as you, we need to improve both our lines and get younger. There are some quality guards in later rounds that I'd love to have, as well as a few DT's that while they won't bring a ton of pressure, they can stuff the run.

I'm sure other needs will arise throughout the season. I don't think anyone will be happy with our WR corps come season's end, and the CB-by-committee I just don't see working that well. But that's why they play the games.

HTTR

i think that with the cb's we have and the springs situation cb will become a need. next year we will probably run rodgers and smoot as the starting corners unless they both regress and become a coverage liability, though i doubt that will be the case with the safeties we have. year after next we will need to look for wr, cb, and possibly a rb.

Well with Renaldo Wynn getting cut, does that increase the likelihood of a DE? DT seems to be pretty young now. I'd like to see a young Tackle, but not in the first round, unless we pick very late. And Wide receiver who knows. I think though that maybe we trade Betts in 08, and draft portis's eventual heir (Steve Slaton of WVU maybe?)

Portis is 26. Steve Slaton as his replacement? that's awfully early. So we trade Betts and maybe get a 3rd round pick, only to draft a RB with our first?

Whaaaaaaa?

Archived