Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Latest WP hatchet job (Re: Salave'a--another mod edited title)

Dirk Diggler

Maybe they don't want another team to sign him and he can be our unofficial 54th player that we can re-sign later if we need him.

I doubt he gets signed now. He didn't for a year or 2 when he was 3-4 years younger.

Any of the other guys may have been picked up if they released them, or that may have been what they were thinking.

i doubt he gets signed either.... if you asked any nfl GM who had the worst DL in the NFL, they would probably say the Redskins. Why would anyone want an old, oft-injured, player who couldnt make a team - and one where he was a leader - that has one of the worst lines in the league? Old Joe isn't getting picked up by anyone.

when joe gibbs gave his comments on why salavea was gone, did he even come close to giving a truthful answer? we all know he said his typical loyal/teamguy/great player/stand up/class act blah blah, but did he even hint at saying "we'd like to get younger on the dline" or "we're really impressed with the young guys"? if he did, let me know.

Just because you may deem his answer incomplete does not make it untruthful.

I really dislike the move, and think Joe deserved better too. :whoknows:

Yeah, but that only shows that you don't understand that the NFL is a business. If you can get a younger player (who will stay healthy) that can give the same or better output than an aging, injury prone vet for cheaper, why wouldn't you go with the youth? Makes perfect sense to me. Remember, the coaches get to watch the film after every practice and game and Golston flat out took this guys job. Worse, Montgomery got stronger and stepped up. Even worse, they plan to move Daniels inside on 3rd downs. There simply was no room for Joe and this should have been an obvious move to those of us paying attention. Loyalty, got Big Joe to this point but could take him no further. The Redskins didn't know what progress was made by Golston and Montgomery until the preseason. Love Big Joe but he had to go. Sorry.

The same paper that rips the skins apart for keeping MB, a nice older veteran who lead our team to a playoff win, turns around and rips us for cutting a similar player.

The same paper that rips us for being old at pretty much every position then turns around and rips us for TRYING to get younger at a major position.

Off topic a little but Brunell hardly lead us to a victory. If I remember right, he had 3 yards passing that game. LOL

It's not 'honesty' to tell the press that a player is over the hill and that you've decided to go with a youth movement......it's called disrespect. I swear....some people have no f'n clue as to the workings of the NFL and the commradarie between the players and coaches. These guys are friends on most levels. You don't bag on a friend, disrespect him on a national stage through the media just so reporters and fans can say you're honest.

Keeping Joe was blunting the development of our young guys, it's a tough business. I thought the skins did the right thing by letting him go early so he could still catch on with another team. :2cents:

Hang on guys, note that he's taking a shot at his own coworker in there...

News of his being waived did not appear until the third paragraph of a story in The Post that focused far more on quarterback Jason Campbell saying he wants to play in the preseason finale against Jacksonville on Thursday night, and the possibility that injured Clinton Portis, held out of games all summer with knee tendinitis, also might see some action against the Jaguars.

Deep down in the story, there were three telling paragraphs on the cutting of Salave'a.

LaCanfora wrote that one.

Shapiro's piece reads okay. He's obviously trying to get some resonance from the Ditka and retired player complaint storyline that's been on ESPN etc recently. Also writing something for a more general audience than hard-core fans. Not the best piece of journalism, because it's not journalism. Readable, at least.

I was sad to see Salave'a and Marshall released, but if it is what's best for the team then I think there was really no choice. I hope they do well elsewhere and I'll remember them both for their sacrifice and passion for the team and the game.

As far as sportswriters are concerned: I can't think of any more meaningless and worthless position in life than that of a beat sports writer or columnist. A Wal-Mart greeter has a more edifying daily experience. That being said, I really could not care less about what so-called sports journalists have to say about the Redskins, or, anything else for that matter.

Wow, hatchet job is a good description. It annoyed me enough, I actually just fired this email off to him

I just read your article at the Washington Post, and really, just had to tell you how much your article displeased me. I guess since it was more of an editorial, facts are irrelevant?

Did you contact Salave'a to see how he felt about the cut? Do you have some sort of insider knowledge to know of the dealings with him and the organization leading up to, and after his departure from the team? You even criticized the team for where the information on his cut happened in article written by the paper you write for. How does that possibly make sense?

Honestly, I see no reason for this attack on the Redskins team when all you information is biased and not based on any amount of research other than being told Salave'a was cut, and possibly looking up the dates to compare it to an event that happened 30 years ago. You don't even touch on the fact that todays teams also have to deal with things like the salary cap when making these office decisions.

I can tell you though, that at least for me, you've succeeded in making your name well known. If I ever see "By Leonard Shapiro" on an article I'm about to read, I'll skip right past it. Because I will know it's written by a supposed journalist who really is nothing more than a person with an opinion, most likely not based on facts or research, who happened to have his story published.

It's not 'honesty' to tell the press that a player is over the hill and that you've decided to go with a youth movement......it's called disrespect. I swear....some people have no f'n clue as to the workings of the NFL and the commradarie between the players and coaches. These guys are friends on most levels. You don't bag on a friend, disrespect him on a national stage through the media just so reporters and fans can say you're honest.

Keeping Joe was blunting the development of our young guys, it's a tough business. I thought the skins did the right thing by letting him go early so he could still catch on with another team. :2cents:

how is it disrespectful by saying "were trying to get younger at this position"?? this is A BUSINESS, joe salavea understands why he was cut, theres nothing wrong with saying "joe is a great player but we'd like to try a different direction with some younger guys and see what they can offer".

instead we get the same old nonsense. i swear some of you think these guys are all sensitive 12 year old girls. these are multimillionare NFL players and businessmen. they can and should be able to handle the truth. sugar coating all of it just makes it look even worse.

My response on the WP website.......

Not sure if you realized this or not yet but this sport is actually a business. I'll miss Salave'a as much as anyone, he was one of my favorite Redskins, without a doubt. However, if the coaches thought the team was better helped with a different player on the roster, how could they do any differently? What other choice was there to make. I'll remind you that it, in fact, is not 1972 anymore and stashing players on IR is no longer feasible or allowed. I understand the sentiment but you're way off base and attempting to generate ill way towards the club for making a football decision EVERY NFL team makes every year is a pretty far stretch and pretty stupid. But hey, I guess you had to write something, right?

Such a stupid article. Say something nice about Joe, write an article about, we all miss him, I'd love to see that. But to sit here and berate the team for doing this is ludicrous. It's a business, jackass.

instead we get the same old nonsense. i swear some of you think these guys are all sensitive 12 year old girls. these are multimillionare NFL players and businessman. they can and should be able to handle the truth. sugar coating all of it just makes it look even worse.

LOL, I was thinking the same thing when I was reading the LeCharles Bentley thread yesterday. How friggin bad can you feel for a guy who has bankrolled millions and millions of dollars. Yep, I feel kind of bad for them but they are way, way, way down on my sympathy hierarchy.

More apologies for a hack.

Sad to see him go? Wanna talk about the harsh realities of the NFL? Fine. But no need to call out Gibbs, Williams, and Snyder from the soap box. Totally out of line.

Is it my imagination or did NFL God Bill Belicheck cut Lawyer Milloy, a leader and perennial Pro Bowl player days before the start of the 2003 season? Was there a ticker tape parade? An exit press conference?

Wait a minute. This was a sports column. That is his job. He is not a beat reporter, he writes opinions.:doh:

You know like on PTI when Tony and Mike debate things and make fun of moves here or there.

He is not trying to pass of anything as a fact, he is simply writing a goodbye to Big Joe.

Whats the big deal?

Wait a minute. This was a sports column. That is his job. He is not a beat reporter, he writes opinions.:doh:

You know like on PTI when Tony and Mike debate things and make fun of moves here or there.

He is not trying to pass of anything as a fact, he is simply writing a goodbye to Big Joe.

Whats the big deal?

While writing that goodbye to Big Joe, he felt it necessary to inform us that the team and Gibbs and Williams in particular did him a disservice and didn't do right by him. People here are simply saying, stfu you dumbass, it's a business, they have to do what's best for the team. It's a really, really simple concept.

how is it disrespectful by saying "were trying to get younger at this position"?? this is A BUSINESS, joe salavea understands why he was cut, theres nothing wrong with saying "joe is a great player but we'd like to try a different direction with some younger guys and see what they can offer".

instead we get the same old nonsense. i swear some of you think these guys are all sensitive 12 year old girls. these are multimillionare NFL players and businessmen. they can and should be able to handle the truth. sugar coating all of it just makes it look even worse.

Exactly right. People watch Hard Knocks the KC Cheifs they come out and say straight to the players face why he is being cut. Rod Gardner was told "you had a great camp, but you irk people, dont know if you will give it 100%" and he was done. The whole world can see this on TV.

Nothing needs to be sugar coated. If I was big joe and coach said "Joe we love you, you are amazing, and great, but the numbers dont work" I would be more pissed that my coach wasnt honest and just said "Look, were going to go younger, we love what you have done for us, but its time for us to go younger."

One could argue that by keeping Salave'a on the roster last year, even though he did nothing all season long, that the modern-day Redskins did the same thing the George Allen-led 'Skins did back in the late 70's. While a nice guy and a great interview it could be said that Big Joe collected a paycheck for contributing nothing last season, which would ruin Shapiro's entire point.

Exactly right. People watch Hard Knocks the KC Cheifs they come out and say straight to the players face why he is being cut. Rod Gardner was told "you had a great camp, but you irk people, dont know if you will give it 100%" and he was done. The whole world can see this on TV.

Nothing needs to be sugar coated. If I was big joe and coach said "Joe we love you, you are amazing, and great, but the numbers dont work" I would be more pissed that my coach wasnt honest and just said "Look, were going to go younger, we love what you have done for us, but its time for us to go younger."

And how do you have even the SLIGHTEST clue what Gibbs and GW said to Big Joe behind the scenes when they cut him?

While writing that goodbye to Big Joe, he felt it necessary to inform us that the team and Gibbs and Williams in particular did him a disservice and didn't do right by him. People here are simply saying, stfu you dumbass, it's a business, they have to do what's best for the team. It's a really, really simple concept.

I agree it is a business and i have no problem with him being cut. BUt there are also people on here who hate to see joe go and have this love for him as well.

The article didnt inform us that Gibbs and Williams did him a disservice, it informed us that the writer thought it was wrong or heartbreaking.

Remember it was a sports column, columnist even wilbon write their opinion. Wilbon recently wrote how the team desperatley needed a gm more than ever.

I just think people like to hate on the post or media for no reason.

LOL, I was thinking the same thing when I was reading the LeCharles Bentley thread yesterday. How friggin bad can you feel for a guy who has bankrolled millions and millions of dollars. Yep, I feel kind of bad for them but they are way, way, way down on my sympathy hierarchy.

exactly. i mean some of these people think these guys are like highschool students who just didnt make varsity. joe salavea is a millionare, hes 32 years old and has injury concerns, this isnt rocket science. hes well aware of why he was cut, theres nothing wrong with saying "we are just trying to give the young guys a shot and see what they can offer". instead, we get nonsense. it makes gibbs look senile and ridiculous. someone the other day said he looked like he was gonna cry dealing with the cuts.

how hard is it to cut guys?!?!?! this is a business, a team that needs to win. you arent doing well, you get the axe, end of story. this isnt tee ball with 6 year olds, these are grown men for christs sake, and most when cut get shots with other clubs.

And how do you have even the SLIGHTEST clue what Gibbs and GW said to Big Joe behind the scenes when they cut him?

I dont. But why sugar coat it to the media if Joe knows the real reason?

If coach joe told big Joe "we want to get younger" how is it insulting to say the same to the media?

My point was, the cheifs are no longer behind closed doors. They are open and in the media, everyone knows the real reasons for them and it doesnt seem to be a problem.

I dont. But why sugar coat it to the media if Joe knows the real reason?

If coach joe told big Joe "we want to get younger" how is it insulting to say the same to the media?

My point was, the cheifs are no longer behind closed doors. They are open and in the media, everyone knows the real reasons for them and it doesnt seem to be a problem.

Different coaches do things differently. I wouldn't exactly use the Chiefs as an example, they've got Herm ****ing Edwards as their coach, they're going nowhere. Other coaches, such as BB in NE and Gibbs, would never think of allowing that kind of access and prefer to keep those kinds of dealings private and in house. That doesn't make them wrong.

Also, I understand sports writers use opinion and should. I'm just saying it's an irrevelant and incorrect opinion based solely on emotion and devoid of logic.

so they tell it to joe like it is to his face, and sugar coat it for the media and fans so gibbs saves face for having to be honest? how "classy".

I didn't claim to know what was said behind closed doors. I was merely pointing out that neither did skinsn24 when he was complaining about the reasons given for his release. I don't think GW or Gibbs sugarcoated it at all.

I didn't claim to know what was said behind closed doors. I was merely pointing out that neither did skinsn24 when he was complaining about the reasons given for his release. I don't think GW or Gibbs sugarcoated it at all.

im just stating that it goes directly back to how bad we look when doing PR. gibbs comes off as a weak old man reciting cliche after cliche, our owner wont even talk to the media on camera unlike the majority of other owners, and when we cut guys that were contributors, instead of saying "we feel like we have an upgrade in another guy and we wish x player best of luck" or, "we'd like to get younger and see what the kids can do", all gibbs does is say how good the other guy was and how much heart he had and how important he was, which completely contradicts the fact that he was just cut.

thats like my boss saying "well BLC, we love your work ethic, youre a great team player, you do everything youre asked, and youve contributed well for us in the past, so, youre fired."

so they tell it to joe like it is to his face, and sugar coat it for the media and fans so gibbs saves face for having to be honest? how "classy".

You know, when I have to fire someone based on their performance, I don't go telling everyone in the company, 'Jim was fired because he couldn't cut it'. People can figure it out, but you don't have to say it.

You know, when I have to fire someone based on their performance, I don't go telling everyone in the company, 'Jim was fired because he couldn't cut it'. People can figure it out, but you don't have to say it.

well if thats your attitude then gibbs shouldnt even talk to the media if he cant be honest. he should just say "no comment". snyder does.

Archived