Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Joe Gibbs Weekly Spiritual Game Plan

DixieFlatline

Do any of you get this weekly email? I started getting it near the end of last season and I always found it interesting how he related his message that week to what was happening with the Redskins. Of course, last year there were a lot of trials and tribulations. Hopefully, we don't encounter that this year.

http://www.joegibbsonline.com/index.php

I'm amazed that a man who is a football coach, with all that on his mind, still takes time to deliver a message like this. It shows you what is important to him. We all know how much he lives and breathes football, but here he shows you his true passion. Just imagine how much more he loves God. He is a true example of a real man of God.

I'm glad to see that there are some folks on Extremeskins who are actually comfortable with Gibbs' Christianity as opposed to outright offended or put off by it. Most of the references I've seen to Gibbs' beliefs on this board are condescending and mean-spirited (not that Christians who exhibit their faith openly should expect any less). The comments that stick out most in my memory are along the lines of "Brunell is a starter ONLY because he and Coach are 'Jesus buddies'." It's encouraging to read the comments of 'Skins fans who not only aren't bothered by Joe's faith, but actually might be participants in the same faith. Thanks for expressing your approval. It's encouraging.

I'm glad to see that there are some folks on Extremeskins who are actually comfortable with Gibbs' Christianity as opposed to outright offended or put off by it. Most of the references I've seen to Gibbs' beliefs on this board are condescending and mean-spirited (not that Christians who exhibit their faith openly should expect any less). The comments that stick out most in my memory are along the lines of "Brunell is a starter ONLY because he and Coach are 'Jesus buddies'." It's encouraging to read the comments of 'Skins fans who not only aren't bothered by Joe's faith, but actually might be participants in the same faith. Thanks for expressing your approval. It's encouraging.

I completely disagree with proselytizing your religion on an NFL football field or in the football related portion of the official message board of the Skins. It is divisive and in my opinion pretty classless. There are plenty of places and forums where anyone can express or promote their beliefs including portions of this message board.

However, when a player or coach chooses to use their direct connection with the NFL to promote their religion, then they shouldn't be upset when people draw conclusions or make inferences as to their motives when they choose to sign, trade for or start players who share their same religious views.

I'm amazed that a man who is a football coach, with all that on his mind, still takes time to deliver a message like this. It shows you what is important to him. We all know how much he lives and breathes football, but here he shows you his true passion. Just imagine how much more he loves God. He is a true example of a real man of God.

:applause: That is why I love JG the man..and it shows with the players we pick up.

Joe Gibbs has always been an inspiration to me. Although I'm not as fired up about God as JG is, there's always been something about him that has lifted me up. I'm going to start getting this email hopefully, because I think listening to his audio every morning will get me motivated to face the day.

Thanks for this great link!

I completely disagree with proselytizing your religion on an NFL football field or in the football related portion of the official message board of the Skins.

I've never seen Joe Gibbs proselytize on the football field. Can you give examples of him doing so? When Joe Gibbs is on the field, he does what he's paid to do, that is, coach his team.

As for whether or not this belongs in The Stadium forum:it does. The forum description reads: "Enjoy speaking about the Washington Redskins in friendly confines amongst your fellow Skins fans." While the word 'friendly' is often stretched to its limit, the fact that Joe Gibbs, as the coach of the Redskins, has a website and a particular religious faith is of interest to some fans of the team. If it's something you choose not to talk about or disagree with, you're welcome to ignore this thread or even express your displeasure (as you have done) but to say this thread belongs in another forum is incorrect.

Would you prefer that this forum be broken down into different sections such as "hardcore Xs and Os discussion only" and "players/coaches off-field/personal lives discussion only"? I suppose you could lobby for that, but I think it's easier just to read the thread topic and decide if this is a thread you want to be involved in or not. If you feel it's inappropriate, PM a moderator. As the situation stands, this topic is Redskins related and belongs in this forum.

It is divisive and in my opinion pretty classless. There are plenty of places and forums where anyone can express or promote their beliefs including portions of this message board.

So, when players are asked about what motivates them on the field, and they say, "I just believe in myself and my teammates," is that "classless" ? I would say "no." They have been asked a question, and they are answering it honestly. I find no lack of class in such a reply. If a Christian athlete or coach who is motivated by Christ should express such a belief, how is that classless? That is honest.

EVERY topic introduced on this message board has the potential to be divisive. If the Redskins win the Super Bowl this year, you can almost bet that someone on this board will start a thread the day after the victory disagreeing with how they won it, or why they won it, etc. This is not someone starting a thread titled "Jesus Loves You!" and then pasting Bible verses in the opening post. This is someone writing about Joe Gibbs, the man, and what he believes. Should personal, strongly held beliefs be off limits when discussing 'Skins players and coaches? That hasn't been the standard up to this point on this message board.

However, when a player or coach chooses to use their direct connection with the NFL to promote their religion, then they shouldn't be upset when people draw conclusions or make inferences as to their motives when they choose to sign, trade for or start players who share their same religious views.

Joe Gibbs is definitely taking advantage of his position to share his faith. But, it's just that: sharing. He's not coercing, or belittling others who don't share his beliefs. He's not saying, "You're not a true Redskins fan if you're not a Christian."

Joe Gibbs believes that the teachings of Christ are beneficial and helpful to anyone who will embrace them, and he seeks to tell other people about Christ in any way available to him. You'll notice that nowhere on his website is there an NFL shield or Washington Redskins logo. He's not directly, but rather indirectly, using his NFL affiliation to promote Christianity.

Joe Gibbs is a celebrity, and celebrities often use their positions to promote their pet causes or beliefs (i.e., environmental awareness, vegetarianism, anti-war sentiments, etc.). Can I assume that celebrities who use their positions as a platform for expressing their strongly held non-religious beliefs is also offensive to you?

I usually try and stay away from the religous conversations, but I am glad if any person finds faith - whether it is Christianity, Muslim, Buddhist, Jewish, Rasta or Hindu, whatever is good for them.

The thing that bothers me is when it is used for anything other than that. Am I not a real man if I dont love Jesus? I mean Jesus was Jewish right? So Danny, Jesus, and I could all hang up at the owners box right? Maybe even invite Muhammed, Joe, Bob Marley, Gandhi and a few others?

Isnt any faith about believing in something higher than yourself and improving the world we live in and helping others?

So do I go to hell if I dont believe in your path? But what happens if I dont believe in hell? Where do I go? Dallas?

I like that coexist bumper sticker...

http://www.stampandshout.com/shop/bumper-stickers/coexist.php

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace"

- Jimi Hendrix

"Music is my religion"

- Jimi Hendrix

Archived