Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Parcells or Spurrier

Reaganaut

It's a tough question to answer.

If you suspect Spurrier will find success in this league you probably have to answer Spurrier because as good as Parcells is, he rarely seems in it for a long period of time at this point and with his health problems it may require he leave even sooner than he may plan.

But, Parcells is one the game's best coaches. He understands the league and the players. He knows how to get a team to perform and play above what you may think the talent on the team would suggest is possible.

I'm going to take Spurrier now though I'll admit I could quickly change that opinion early next year. Spurrier showed enough improvement with his offense to make you think things could work. He showed enough awareness to identify areas he may need to improve in as a coach in the NFL. And, I think he's a better tactician on game day than Parcells, who is, to me, more of a master motivator like Cowher or even Gruden.

I tend to like the guys calling the plays better than the guys who lord over the organization. But, Parcells sure gave the last smart coach we had fits and Spurrier may not be a Gibbs :).

Spurrier all the way....... for many reasons.

the Parcells who gave "fits" to Gibbs was 15 years younger, and hungrier, and not yet convinced he was the Great Tuna. the one the Cowboys got , in my opinion, is in it now as much for money and one last turn in the spotlight as he is to work 20 hour days in pursuit of glory.

the Parcells who turned around the Jets and Patriots had Bill Belichick (sp?) running his defense, didn't he? I thought I read where his record without Belichick was a lot less impressive than with him. I don't know who all his old "lieutenants" were ...... but I always remember hearing how one of the reasons he did so well at every stop was being able to get his old coaching staff together to some extent. Might be hard to do, now.

Keith Byers and Bryan Cox are like 50 years old now. :laugh:

I don't know ........ I would take Parcells from 10 years ago -- before he got sick, and older, adn more comfortable, and decided he knew everything about everything (including being GM) -- over a second-year Spurrier. But not the one the Cowboys got.

but........ what do I know? ;)

In 1981 most people would rather have had legend Tom Landry as coach vs. an unknown assistant named Joe Gibbs.

Ten years later, Gibbs had won more Super Bowls than Landry did in half the time :)

Parcells will improve the Cowboys, his problem is longevity. Does he have the patience to build a true contender for the long haul or does he fill in with some vets and try to get to 9-7 or 10-6 and a wildcard berth?

If Dallas gets to the playoffs but doesn't win big in the postseason, will the experiment be considered a success or a failure 3 years from now?

Parcells has a track record of NFL success.

Parcells has a track record of short-lived NFL success.

Right now, I'd take that record.

(Granted, I'd rather have kept Marty. Ten years in a row of "just making the playoffs" would be OK, too.)

I'm really surprised at the results being three to one for Spurrier. Perhaps new blood really is important here. Art makes a good point here:

And, I think he's a better tactician on game day than Parcells, who is, to me, more of a master motivator like Cowher or even Gruden

I agree with this, but I would argue that underachieving teams (and the Skins are one of the top five underachieving teams every year) need the second type of coach rather than the first. Marty certainly wasn't the man for the job last year, but I wonder what would have happened if there were a Cowher type of coach in charge.

Ray Buchanan from Atlanta was interviewed yesterday on ESPN by Chris Berman and said that he could see throught the body language of Packers before the game that Atlanta would have their way with them. He said they looked ininspired and Atlanta was pumped to the gills.

I believe this is EXACTLY the problem with the Skins who don't look ready to play in half of their games.

Reagan,

No, you shouldn't put Spurrier now and Gibbs from 1981 in the same category. Gibbs didn't compare in even the slightest way to what Spurrier is at the time. Gibbs became something, but, as Bulldog said, he was an unknown. Spurrier's not.

I think the results you're seeing here stem from the general belief that Spurrier understands how to win and he's shown the ability to adapt already to at least understand what he may need to do to improve.

Obviously Parcells is a far greater coach at present. I think the support of Spurrier is on the hope of a top end that may even surpass Parcells.

Obviously Parcells is a far greater coach at present. I think the support of Spurrier is on the hope of a top end that may even surpass Parcells.

From the looks of this poll, I expect you are right on this point because there doesn't seem to be a great deal of support for Parcells. I bet any coach would get that type of margin so Parcells doesn't appear to have the same magic he once did.

I really worry about this team and it's not from the tactical standpoint. Spurrier said in an interview that he was truly surprised how little players implemented what he told them to do and that it took coaches several years before players would listen.

Spurrier believes that his system is fine, it's just the players not listening to him.

How on Earth could any self-respecting football fan (not "Skins fan" mind you) choose Spurrier over Parcells? Parcells is one of th best coaches of the past 25 years. If you were to say Parcells or Gibbs, than fine, maybe there would be some room for argument, but Spurrier and Parcells? Please.

:pint:

Stink,

It's not really a simple one for one comparison here. Parcells hasn't won a Super Bowl in 12 years. He hasn't shown the willingness to stick with a team. He's older. He's got health problems. In general, he's shown he'll probably go to and stay with a team for about three years. And then that team is left to its own devices.

With Spurrier, there's the thought he'll be around a little longer if he's successful. And, if he is, a coaching tree may branch off, starting in Washington, that could conceivably allow for success even after he's gone. The problem the Redskins had when Petitbone got in was that they altered the entire offense right away and that broke the system that was in place.

I don't think anyone here is under any illusions that Parcells is presently a far superior coach to most in the NFL, including Spurrier.

But, it's a question of whether you'd want Parcells, and the thought he'd be around for three years, make your team older in the process, and then leave, or whether you'd want Spurrier, IF you believe he'll succeed, for a bit longer, and with the thought that things might not change much when he goes if one of his guys shows the promise to coach.

I'd take Reid over Parcells as well, because Reid appears to be in it for the long haul. But, if Parcells is going to be around for five to 10 more years, you might find a different answer.

I'll take Spurrier.

I thought that Parcells would make a great GM here.

I agree with alot of what Candy said, especially the Parcells of 10 years ago.

He's coming into a situation in Dallas where he has a lot of young players, and me being the old fart that I am, believe he will have a discipline problem with some of these boys.

And what's he gonna do? Cut them?

Hopefully Spurrier has made a not of what he needs on Offense and we can get it revved up next year.

I'll take Spurrier for all the reasons Art pointed out and because of attitude. I know Parcells has attitude, but it usually manifests itself as a motiviational tool, directed at his own players.

I like the Spurrier "us against the world" attitude. I think the Skins as much as anyone needs that right now.

that's kinda like asking "who would you rather have at WR, Rod Gardner or Jerry Rice."

I don't know what the answer is there. I have no doubt Parcells will turn the Cowboys around and at least get them into the playoffs in short order. After that, who knows? He has a habit of royally screwing over his past associates.

I guess Spurrier's our guy now, so I'll stick with him. I wouldn't mind if Parcells had signed with us either, however.

Originally posted by Art

With Spurrier, there's the thought he'll be around a little longer if he's successful. And, if he is, a coaching tree may branch off, starting in Washington, that could conceivably allow for success even after he's gone.

I agree with everything but this quote, Art. I don't think anyone else can run Spurrier's offense effectively, mostly because of how impulsive, instinctive and unpredictable he is. They may have his plays, but he has certain improvisational rhythm that I don't think can be taught.

RD,

That's certainly a legitimate point.

Part of what makes Spurrier's offense as good as it's been is how Spurrier calls the plays. It may be that no one else would really capture the spirit of the offense as he has.

However, I think you may find a Wuerffel or even a Brindise, guys who have Spurrier's confidence and know the offense, and may have a similar ability. But, this is certainly a question that is fairly asked.

wouldn't it be ironic for Jones if the Cowboys was the one job in his career that Parcells screws up? :D

of course the other factor here is that the Giants in 1982, Patriots in 1993 and Jets in 1997 were awful teams for which there was LITTLE EXPECTATION.

managements were patient as those teams had been down for years and didn't have the national following the Cowboys do.

fans and the ownership in those cities were grateful that the coach got them back to respectability and the playoffs.

that won't be the case in Dallas. Jerry is enough of a meddler that a 10-6 team won't be good enough for Parcells to hang his hat on.

I could imagine a scenario where Parcells gets Dallas back to playoff contender and then Jones gets dissatisfied because the Cowboys look like the 2002 Giants, a decent enough team, but not a true Super Bowl favorite/contender.

Yeah, Regan, in one case the team he left was 5-11, then turned around by a new coach with new players. In the other case, the team got better without Parcells but had to retool itself in the last couple of years to get to the playoffs under Edwards.

You ought to be comforted. No team Parcells has left has done well immediately.

the biggest question about Parcells at 61 is endurance. Does he still have what it takes to see a complete rebuilding program through to the end. And will Jones stay out of his hair long enough for Bill not to leave this job as he left New England after Bob Kraft decided to poke his nose into what Bill was doing? :)

the other factor is for the first time Parcells is NOT going to have a lot of the staff he has had work for him in the past.

because he has been out of the league since 1999 most of those coaches are spread around the NFL and already have contracts with other teams.

the best of them on D are with Bellichick in New England.

it is doubtful any of them are going to leave a now winning program to go to Dallas.

Archived