Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A More Disciplined Team?

RFK Lives

The Redskins have been penalized 15 times for 103 yards in, let's call it 2 and 1/2 games.

2007 Preseason

Titans - 3 for 40

Steelers - 8 for 43

Ravens - 4 for 30

Compared to 2006 Preseason where the total was 28 for 226 yards.

Bengals - 5 for 45

Jets - 6 for 61

Patriots - 12 for 81

Ravens - 5 for 39

Granted, this is not a huge improvement and there is still the Jags game to go but I was wondering if anybody felt like the team is showing more discipline than last year.

The penalties don't seem as glaring as last preseason and they do not seem to come in bunches. Since I have not seen every second of the preseason I was hoping to get some thoughts from the insightful bunch here at ES.

Well in our first drive against the Ravens when we were actually moving the ball, we had back to back penalties that were drive-killers. Other than that I don't remember us making too many egregious penalties. As long as ST or LL injures whomever they catch a 15-yard penalty for nailing, I'm fine ;).

Thanks for posting. I missed the first part of the Ravens game due to the delay and the fact that our Fantasy Draft had a bunch of race fans changing the channel. I finally had to hide the remote.

I agree about Taylor and Landry. I don't have too much of a problem if the game is not on the line and they pick up a PF, it will enhance the reputation that is already building.

Those are just offensive penalties right? Because I beleive we have like 21 defensive penalities already.

I checked the NFL Gamecast and I thought it would list total. If it's just offense than that Steelers game looks really bad.

Let me double check and I will update.

Those are just offensive penalties right? Because I beleive we have like 21 defensive penalities already.

We know you're negative about the Skins, so you don't have to post completely ridiculous stats to reinforce it. We get the point - the Redskins are going to have a horrendous season.

We know you're negative about the Skins, so you don't have to post completely ridiculous stats to reinforce it. We get the point - the Redskins are going to have a horrendous season.

No I am not negative about the skins, i just cannot be ultra positive, untill they give me reason to.

However, I get very fustrated hearing all this positve propaganda that doesnt seem to ever be true yet we here it every year so my posts seem to come off more and mroe negative even though i try to just state facts (which happen to be negative and it sucks).

Talk to me just prior to a game and im gonna tell you the skins can win the game. See me at the game and im the guy screamin at the fans to stand up and not just sit there (pitt game anyone).

I just cant take the constant "everything is good" "every skins players is the best" comments untill we actually start winning ballgames.

It has been interesting to see the discipline of Heyer. I expected a rookie LT to be false starting all over the place, but he has been completely solid.

Good point on Heyer. You would think they would have issues plugging in different players.

I guess the OL is where you notice it the most. When a play can't get off due to a false start or worse two consecutive penalties.

If the time management is there and the plays are sent in much more briskly, I think we won't see any of those Bad News Bears' stretches of penalties.

Yeah, I saw that stats window on nfl.com too. I knew it was way too many. The only thing I can think is they list all penalties (for and against) and list the net yards? So, if you had a holding penalty against you for 10 but got a pass interference against them for 35 then it would list 2 penalties in the Offense Stat Window but a net of +25 yards. I may take a closer look when I get home and verify my theory.

Yeah, I saw that stats window on nfl.com too. I knew it was way too many. The only thing I can think is they list all penalties (for and against) and list the net yards? So, if you had a holding penalty against you for 10 but got a pass interference against them for 35 then it would list 2 penalties in the Offense Stat Window but a net of +25 yards. I may take a closer look when I get home and verify my theory.

No i checked, when you switch from defensive stats to offensive stats, the penalities go from 21 to 15. Meaning that we have had 21 defensive and 15 offensive according to nfl.com

And the 15 offensive match up with your initial report in the OP.

I wish you were right, but it seems that we have 21 total defensive penalities, but that does seem too high.

No I am not negative about the skins, i just cannot be ultra positive, untill they give me reason to.

However, I get very fustrated hearing all this positve propaganda that doesnt seem to ever be true yet we here it every year so my posts seem to come off more and mroe negative even though i try to just state facts (which happen to be negative and it sucks).

Talk to me just prior to a game and im gonna tell you the skins can win the game. See me at the game and im the guy screamin at the fans to stand up and not just sit there (pitt game anyone).

I just cant take the constant "everything is good" "every skins players is the best" comments untill we actually start winning ballgames.

Facts like your 21 penalties on the defense :)?

Everything I've seen from you lately is overtly negative, so I don't see how it can be interpreted as anything but that. If you've seen the games, you would know that that 21 penalty figure is absolute BS, even if you didn't know the actual number. But, you glommed onto it, which indicates, to me anyway, someone who is looking for things to be negative about.

I don't see an overly rosy atmosphere on this board, so I don't know why you feel compelled to be the "propaganda police". In fact, there is a lot of hand-wringing going on.

You know what the Redskins have failed to do in the last 15 years? It isn't squandered draft picks, botched trades, or big free agent signings. It's the failure to land a franchise QB - that is the surest ticket to consistent winning in the NFL. Over the last 15 years, when the Redskins have had competent QB play, they have either been in the playoffs or very close (and that's if you assume Frerotte gave them competent QB play). A vast majority of the top winning franchises in the league today have that rock under center. Yeah, you can find outliers, but they're just that - outliers. Every slam against the Redskins/Cerrato is just looking for that scapegoat.

It's fair to say that most Redskin fans on this site are die hards (maybe unhealthily so), as much as if not more than you. We want to feel good about the team and we want to have hope. Does that mean covering one's ears and hearing no evil? Of course not. I can't speak for everyone, but I try to be somewhat realistic about the prospects of the team, but I want to enjoy it, too, and the hope for success is what sparks that enjoyment. If I thought they were going to be as miserable as your constant haranguing indicates, where would the enjoyment be? Why do you enjoy it if you're feeling pretty bleak about their prospects?

On another level, it's the certitude with which you negativeers state your "facts" that is especially grating. "Well, trading Bailey and a 2nd for Portis was stupid." How in the hell do you all know what the circumstances were surrounding that situation? Or any of the situations? Om says it all the time, but he's right - w/o knowing the context of each situation, it's hard to really get a good grasp for why something was done.

Of course, if we all marched in lockstep saying the team was great, it would be quite boring. But, just as being Johnny Sunshine ("Skinz rule. The players are awesome. Super Bowl, Baby!") all the time will cause people to disregard your analysis of a particular situation, so will being "all Debbie Downer, all the time". Honestly, you may (and probably do) have some good points in your posts, but the lack of balance kind of calls your credibility/agenda into question.

Sorry for the long-windedness. This is more of a general observation than specifically directed at you, but I've just noticed that you've been quite the prolific negativeer lately, and the post I quoted at the top of this post was pretty disingenuous.

21 penalties = 21 penalties the defense has "forced" or the opposing team has committed

Titans game: Titans have 6 penalties

Steelers game: Steelers have 6 penalties

Ravens game: Ravens have 9 penalties

6+6+9 = 21

Please do research before saying the sky is falling, thanks.

Sorry for the long-windedness. This is more of a general observation than specifically directed at you, but I've just noticed that you've been quite the prolific negativeer lately, and the post I quoted at the top of this post was pretty disingenuous.

:applause: :applause: :applause:

Well said (the whole post, I just didn't want to quote a huge block of text)!!!

21 penalties = 21 penalties the defense has "forced" or the opposing team has committed

Titans game: Titans have 6 penalties

Steelers game: Steelers have 6 penalties

Ravens game: Ravens have 9 penalties

6+6+9 = 21

Please do research before saying the sky is falling, thanks.

:applause: Thanks WorldBFree (for three!) for checking it. I just got home and was getting ready to figure it out but you got it all squared away. Much appreciated.

Archived