Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Completon %, but for other team. Worried?

Dumbsheet

We had a discussoin before about completion precentage for redskin quaterbacks and how they, like, weren't very good. Campell's low pct is understadable at least because he's young and new, but still you want to see pogress sooner than later I would imagene.

But now about your defense. You all seem very impressed tat they don't give up much points, but have you noticed something about your secondary? They seem to let virtually every qb to thorw for over 60%.

Right now, opponents are thrwoing 55-of-84, or 66%, for a YPA of 5.8 and YPC of 9.

Now this isn't a slam on the seconary, as they seem okay. But I notice the opposing qb has forever to throw, and I'm pretty sure this is why the % is so high.

Whtat this means is no matter how many LBs you have or Safeties you draft, if the qb can recline in a lazy boy, flip the remote while watching the jumbotron, and order a ****tail while he's resting back in teh pocket, someone is going to eventally get open.

This could be a probelm, as teams will hold balls longer, have more time of possesion, and will result in fewer atempts for Cambell and the offense.

So my question is, does this worry you.

The Redskins D has played 10 quarters of preseason football and given up 1 TD, 25 total points. I don't care if the QB passes for 80% completion rate. If they don't get the ball in the end zone, it doesnt matter. 14 completions for 90 yards by McNair, a whopping 6.4 yards per completion. Thats great when Baltimore was in 3rd and 15. I'd gladly give up the 6.4 yards. Lets be real here.

Right now, opponents are thrwoing 55-of-84, or 66%, for a YPA of 5.8 and YPC of 9.

5.8 YPA is a horrible figure for a QB as is 9 YPC. QBs facing us have a 79.81 QB rating.

Does it worry you that the only category that Dallas is better than the Skins in pass defense is completion %? I mean Dallas' YPC against is a full yard more than the Skins. Their YPA against is 6.0. And did I mention TD passes against? You might want to look that one up on your own.

Completion percentage can be misleading. As Newblood91 said, dumpoff's

raise a completion percention. You also have to take into account that

we're not using all our defensive packages.

I'll take dumpoff's and high completion ratio to big plays where the receiver

gets behind the defense.

Shouldn't you be more worried about

Matt Schaub 12-16 109 yards and 2 TD's. Thats 75% against your "vaunted" Cowboys pass rushing defense.

lol at that.

teams are dumping the ball all over the place against the skins. sometimes i think its brunell out there but then i come back to reality.

oh, and kyle boller, nice game on saturday haha.

So your saying that when teams throw 75% against our second and third stringers that we should be worried?

Actually, webster, they did it to your first stringers too.

And were a lot of the passes "dump offs"? Some were, yeah, but anyone notice McNair complete several 3rd and longs to keep drives alive and to score the TD? IIRC, 3rd and longs were (one of hte many) issues your D had last year. And dump offs don't usually convert 3rd and longs, but if they do, then that goes to poor tackling. Eiterh way, lack of DL pressure is the ultimate cause.

In short, mathmatically speaking:

Lack of DL pessure = high qb pct & no D turnovers

High qb pct & no D turnovefrs = longer drives

Longer drives = your D getting weared out and your O gettng rusty

Wore out D and Rusty O = last place in NFC east

What do you think? I used to take a physics class, so I'm pretty good with this math stuff.

And were a lot of the passes "dump offs"? Some were, yeah, but anyone notice McNair complete several 3rd and longs to keep drives alive and to score the TD? IIRC, 3rd and longs were (one of hte many) issues your D had last year. And dump offs don't usually convert 3rd and longs, but if they do, then that goes to poor tackling. Eiterh way, lack of DL pressure is the ultimate cause.

What do you think? I used to take a physics class, so I'm pretty good with this math stuff.

Well considering the Bears had a 5.83 YPA last year, and Oakland lead the league in pass defense with 6.42 YPA, I am quite satisfied with what the Redskins defense has done. God I hate when I have to bust out the facts, although this troll will ignore them...

Wait, I am having a premonition...the letters NNT are coming to mind :)

Thanks for your concern. We appreciate it. :rolleyes:

Thanks for bringing up Exhibit A as to why fixating on a certain stat at the exclusion of all others is absolutely pointless. And thank you for presenting Exhibit B as to the importance of actually watching the games and seeing what is happening.

As others have said, the completion % might be great, but the opposition production from the passing game has been almost non-existent. Other teams have been executing a quick, high % passing game. For longer patterns, they've been going max protect - 7 blockers against a 4-man rush. The QB should have good protection with odds like that. What it shows is that other teams are doing a certain level of gameplanning for the Redskins D, but the Redskins really aren't dialing it up there, except on the odd play here and there. What's encouraging is that when GW has dialed up some pressure, he has almost invariably gotten it - and a corresponding negative play for the opposing offense.

BTW, the awesome Cowboy D was really hammering the Texans the other night, wasn't it? Boy, that's one imposing-looking group :laugh:. The other NFCE teams are probably having nightmares about having to face it :laugh:.

As I always tell my kids, unless you're perfect or close to it, you don't have a lot of room to complain or make fun of other people. Maybe you could find a bit of wisdom in there :).

McNair had one good drive against the Redskins where he was converting 3rd downs. And it's the only TD scored against our defense the entire preseason. Am I worried? No. I think this will be a very strong defense, especially once actual gameplanning takes place. It'll look much more like the defenses 2-3 years ago than the defense last year.

Teams have been 3 and out an aweful lot against this defense... your physics class should have taught you that this means a fresh defense. We've also got good depth on that side of the ball.

It's funny. Ever since the Cowboy vs Bronco game most cowboy's fans has been saying pre-season games are meaningless. However they nit-picked stats such as completion percentage while ignoring how our defense as a whole has done to predict that we will finish last in the NFC East.

Typical puke fans

get em boys!! get this hater out of here!! i love it how we can fight amongst each other and go at it like wolves, but let some cowgirl come in here and it is WAR.

boy, dont you know better then to try and talk **** to us? there are too many people with too many stats on the mind to let somebody like you walk in here and rattle us.

This is pathetic. Yeah, the Ravens had one good drive. McNair is a pretty damn good QB and he'll get you now and again. He got into a bit of a rhythym and made some plays. It happens. The other team gets paid, too. I don't think GW was really dialing anything up that drive, either. But they got NOTHING other than that.

The halftime stats were remarkably similar between the two teams. Are you suggesting that the Ravens defense is incompetent?

Apparently you didn't notice that Steve McNair's TD against us was the first TD scored against ANY Redskins D (1st, 2nd, or 3rd string) this whole preseason? Matt Schaub doubled three teams worth of production against our defense against the Cowboys.

I'm not worried.

Archived