Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Draft 2003: Another Chance to Move Down?

bulldog

The Redskins pick at #13 is just high enough to get the interest of some of the teams picking in the early 20's :)

I wonder if we can package a deal to get a pick say 8 or 9 slots down and acquire an additional pick in round 3 as we did last year?

We traded our #5 pick for Brendan Stai, an experiment that now looks like it could have been a waste of time as Stai appeared on his last legs both figuratively and literally :(

The Redskins need impact players on offense but if the wide receivers start to slide in the draft I wonder if the team will take a calculated risk once again, figuring they are still going to get a producer at #20 or #21.

Where were we picking last year, #17? We managed to drop two times in the first and pick up a 3rd rounder each time. I'd expect that #13 would give us maybe even a late first and late second. I think the market would bear that.

I'd love to pick up a 3rd and a 5th to recoup the Stai trade, but I wouldn't want too much of a drop for that. I'll bet we could still stay in the high teens and achieve it.

well, if that is the case I hope the Skins are VERY successful at hitting the free agent market at the right time :)

if we move up and give up picks to grab a WR, we still are going to have to fill in at 2 defensive line positions, safety, guard, etc..

I liked trading down in this year's draft and getting extra picks and drafting Ramsey, Betts, Russell and Cartwright, etc. --and said so back in April when too many were bashing our draft.

This year, however, I am not for trading down, UNLESS we can trade down and still get a premere DE or DT -- which I doubt. I would prefer us to take a DE and DT with both the #1 and #2 picks, although I doubt we will go defense with both picks.

I am not for moving UP in the draft because you always have to give up another high pick and we have too many holes to fill.

We really don't know what positions we are going to draft high, until we have a free agency run at someone in March and April. :rolleyes:

And by the way, Bulldog, I don't agree with you on this one for a change. I don't think Brenden Stai was a bust for a 5th round pick. He had barely begun to learn a new offense, when he went down with a knee injury which required surgery. I would resign Tre at the miniumum plus incentives based on his starts, and let both Tre and Stai compete for the starting RG job this year. Either way at least we would wind up with some depth at RG.

May as well add my 2 cents. The listed players are targets based on my prioritized interpretation of need. The Redskins gurus need to trade picks as required to get these guys. Criticism welcome, be gentle cause I'm sensitive. :rolleyes:

Round 1

DE, Jerome McDougle

DE, Michael Haynes

DE, Kindal Moorehead

DE, Cory Redding

DT, Jarret Johnson

DT, William Joseph – My Pick

DT, Jimmy Kennedy

DT, Ty Warren

Round 2

OG, Derrick Dockery

OG, Vince Manuwai – My Pick

OG, Eric Steinbach

WR, Doug Gabriel

WR, Justin Gage

WR, Bryant Johnson

WR, Taylor Jacobs

DT, Colin Cole

DT, Kenny King

DE, Antonio Garay

DE, Chris Kelsay

Round 3

DE, Aaron Hunt

DE, Calvin Pace

DT, Eric Manning

DT, Langston Moore

WR, Talman Gardner – My Pick

WR, Billy McMullen

WR, Walter Young

inmate

I liked trading down last year as well. It was a great choice that paid off well. But this year *may* be different. Trust me, if the perfect WR is not there or it would cost too much to trade up I don't want us to do something stupid. On the other hand if we could trade our late round pics to move up a few spots and grab a game breaking WR I'm all for it.:D

It just doesn't work that way Mad Mike. In order to get much higher up in the first round, we'd have to trade more than just late round picks. Something like a late rounder AND our 2nd or a late rounder and a trade down with our 2nd. For the sheer # of holes we have on offense alone, we'd be foolish to trade up.

I think the only thing that might complicate a trade down for us is that there are a number of teams who might be interested in trading down this year. It may work out that the only smart move we can make is to stay put and take the best player available in the first, then try and move up in the 2nd in order to get a player that unexpectedly drops into the 2nd round.

Originally posted by Montilar

You left off Terrell Suggs DE. He only had 22 sacks.... maybe you don't want him, but I'd think he should be on the list.

He seems like a good player. I just think he is a little too light to handle the OTs he will face in the NFL. I'd like him better if he weighed in at 275-280 instead of 251.

We could potentially trade down, but why? We'd be giving up arguably the best defensive player in the draft in Suggs for a couple marginal third and fourth rounders.

We could trade down to around 21 or 22 and pick up McDougle, but he seems like a pretty big dropoff from Suggs.

And tex, I would've liked your pick of Gardner in the third round had I not watched the Sugar Bowl tonight. Boldin put a bomb right in his hands and he dropped it. Plus, it would be too damn confusing to have to WRs named Gardner. :)

Originally posted by OrangeSkin

We could potentially trade down, but why? We'd be giving up arguably the best defensive player in the draft in Suggs for a couple marginal third and fourth rounders.

We could trade down to around 21 or 22 and pick up McDougle, but he seems like a pretty big dropoff from Suggs.

And tex, I would've liked your pick of Gardner in the third round had I not watched the Sugar Bowl tonight. Boldin put a bomb right in his hands and he dropped it. Plus, it would be too damn confusing to have to WRs named Gardner. :)

I may change my mind on him. The Redskins don't need a butterfingered WR. :doh:

I was watching the game in my car on the way home from work last night, but it really looked like that pass was underthrown and when Gardner slowed down or stopped to make the catch the DB caught up to him and made a play on it. If he were available in the late 3rd round, I'd have to take him there if possible.

A trade down is possible.

A lot of what's to come will stem from free agency. If we can't fill a couple of holes in free agency before the draft then we are going to be left to make the draft the primary player acquisition method and in that case, we could find it useful to trade down and add picks and hope we do as well as we did this year in terms of finding keepers.

At No. 13, though, we're sure to be in line for one of the better defensive linemen. That's big. Last year we were just too far down and trading down was just too in our sweet spot not to do. This year at No. 13 someone will probably want to move up for the QB perhaps and we'll have the opportunity to go down. But, that depends on how active we are early in free agency. If we fill receiver and offensive guard I'd be surprised if we move down.

Can you name a team that traded down for more picks (obviously) and later regretted it? If you can, I can guarantee you that there aren't many, and that there are far more teams that have traded up who regretted it. The Chargers and Ryan Leaf, anyone? The Saints and Ricky Williams?

The reason is simple: if you're trading up, you're identifying one particular player who you simply must have. This opens you up to the risk that you're no longer objectively measuring talent, but that you instead are addressing a need on your team, and one that may well be a short term need. Besides, love affairs with individual players quite often are the result of the wrong reasons, like outstanding combine performances or great senior (or junior) years in college, etc. And especially in the depth-starved salary cap era, teams are rarely that one player away from success.

We are not one or two players away from being a dominant team. We have a number of needs. No single player at #13, no matter how good, is going to change that. I'd love to trade down to the low first round this year in exchange for another Day One pick. We need far more Bauman's and Betts' and Jansen's on our team than we need Bailey's, Lavars, Samuels and Gardners.

Archived