Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"I know for a fact, 100 percent," Gardener said, "I will be a Redskin."

DeathByLinebacker

That's a quote from tonight's Washington Post article

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A56382-2002Dec30.html

In Offseason, Change Is Going to Come

After Disappointing 7-9 Season, and With 15 Free Agents, Redskins Will Make a Few Moves

By Nunyo Demasio and Mark Maske

Washington Post Staff Writers

Tuesday, December 31, 2002; Page D03

Washington Redskins wide receiver Rod Gardner placed a burgundy duffel bag in the passenger seat of his black Mercedes Benz SL 500 yesterday before leaving Redskins Park until April. The bag was filled with new sweatpants, new shorts, new socks, new cleats.

Following yesterday's season-ending meeting, almost every Redskin took used paraphernalia home after emptying out their locker-room stalls. But there was a reason behind Gardner's eccentricity.

"I don't need the old stuff. The old stuff they can throw in the garbage can," explained Gardner, who finished with 1,006 receiving yards, 11th best in the NFC. "I go in there and get all the new stuff. I look at it as a fresh start."

Next season, there will be much new for the Redskins, who have 15 restricted or unrestricted free agents. Coach Steve Spurrier will return following a 7-9 record in his first NFL season. But changes will range from a new training camp location to new players at key positions.

Spurrier said he wants to add some speed to his offense. The Redskins plan to acquire two wide receivers and two guards after devoting most of their resources last offseason to upgrading the defense.

"Most of our payroll was spent on defense," Spurrier said. "There is going to be a little bit more focus on strengthening our offense with two or three players."

Center Larry Moore and left tackle Chris Samuels said they don't believe a major overhaul of the offensive line is necessary because it played better in the second half of the season. "We just need time to practice together," Moore said.

Spurrier said the team intends to upgrade mostly through the draft in April but also plans to sign a few free agents. The representative for Buffalo Bills wide receiver Peerless Price already has said his client will strongly consider signing with the Redskins as a free agent. Spurrier plans to have an increased role this offseason in making personnel decisions with owner Daniel Snyder, vice president of football operations Joe Mendes and director of player personnel Vinny Cerrato.

"Last year I basically came in, and if I don't know a lot, I don't pretend that I know a lot," Spurrier said. "Some coaches, I guess, bluff their way through about knowing a little bit about everything, but I'm not very good at that. So I sort of sat back and let everyone do their job. Hopefully now I've learned a little bit that I can have some input in really every phase of our team."

Spurrier said there was "no question" that he brought in too many of his former University of Florida players this season, and indicated that he and his assistants will try to ensure that they have a more disciplined team next season.

"I had a losing year," Spurrier said. "We all lost more than we won. We did like the players. I would say I did not have a very good year. I would hope most of our players would say almost the same thing. We didn't get it done this year. We thought we had a team that could make the playoffs, and we didn't do it."

Before Gardner drove off, the wideout asked running back Stephen Davis, walking in the parking lot, to expect a call on the cell phone. The franchise's third all-time leading rusher is expected to be released within weeks. Davis is scheduled to earn $7.5 million next season, making him an albatross for a team trying to navigate the salary cap to sign players. But more important, Davis isn't expected back because his power-running style -- and public complaints -- doesn't mesh with Spurrier's system.

Instead, the Redskins are likely to utilize Ladell Betts and Kenny Watson, both of whom excel as pass-catchers.

Grasping Spurrier's offense was quarterback Patrick Ramsey's main difficulty during his first season. Despite being hindered by a 16-day holdout, Ramsey showed promise while starting five games, including the final two. The Tulane product finished the season with the best quarterback rating (71.8) among the rookies. But Ramsey was more concerned with another statistic from his final two starts.

"We won twice. That means so much to me," said Ramsey, after putting down sneakers and three footballs to talk to reporters. "I think coach [bill] Parcells said it: A quarterback rating is for fans. The real quarterback rating is your won-loss [record]."

Ramsey expects to bring more wins next season because of his experiences.

Ramsey recently bought a home in northern Virginia to be close to Redskins Park, which he plans on visiting regularly to study tape starting in February. But today, Ramsey will make a 16-hour drive to Louisiana to spend the next month with relatives.

While the starting quarterback position is stable entering next season, several situations are up in the air, especially on defense. Bruce Smith said he will wait to make a decision on his future. Carl Powell wants to return next season but the defensive tackle is one of 11 unrestricted free agents. Powell is a possible successor to Dan Wilkinson, who is expected to be waived.

"I really don't want to go anywhere else," said Powell, who in Sunday's 20-14 victory against Dallas had five tackles and one sack that was concluded with a flip that delighted the crowd at FedEx Field. "I like it here. So hopefully, everything will get taken care of."

Despite Daryl Gardener being an unrestricted free agent following a strong season, the defensive tackle doesn't plan on going anywhere. The best indication was that the 6-foot-6, 300-pound tackle carried only a tiny book leaving Redskins Park: "Who Moved My Cheese?" by Dr. Spencer Johnson.

Gardener borrowed the book from cornerback Fred Smoot, and left his football belongings at Redskins Park. Why?

"I know for a fact, 100 percent," Gardener said, "I will be a Redskin."

On a team full of uncertainty, at least one player promised some stability amid next year's ne

Daryl Gardener's amazing. I've been saying he's the best Redskin DT since Dave Butz, but that's just being kind to Dave and acknowledging his years of great play for the team. Game by game this year, once Gardener got going, he turned in better play at DT than I've ever seen by any Redskin. It's a travesty he's not on the Pro Bowl roster (yet).

I just wish we had a defensive coordinator with the same attacking, menacing style as Gardener. Having Lewis manage Gardener (and LaVar) is like having the Incredible Hulk being led around on a leash by Urkle.

Hell Yah. I like the guy. His first year on the team, and he already hated the Cowboys as much as ANYONE on our team.....he was a monster in the middle of the line this year and almost single-handedly fed Emmitt his worst game vs. us in a loooooong time, possibly EVER......As soon as he is signed I will be grinning~!

<<The Redskins plan to acquire two wide receivers and two guards after devoting most of their resources last offseason to upgrading the defense.

"Most of our payroll was spent on defense," Spurrier said. "There is going to be a little bit more focus on strengthening our offense with two or three players." >>

Go Steve Go! Two WRs and two guards is just what the doctor ordered.

<<Center Larry Moore and left tackle Chris Samuels said they don't believe a major overhaul of the offensive line is necessary because it played better in the second half of the season. "We just need time to practice together," Moore said. >>

Yeah, sure. Did you guys catch the name of the guy playing between you? Don't bother -- it'll be different next year.

Sounds like a deal is already worked out for Gardner even if it hasn't been signed yet. That's good to see. I just hope there is some protection if the back DOES flare up again.

In any case, he seems to be worth the risk. Just looking at him during warm-ups, he looks like a man among children. He's huge ... even standing next to other big guys.

Sounds like the team actually has some good plans. There will be changes made where it is prudent, but not everywhere like in years past. Not to mention that there will be much more stability from the coaches as well, since Steve is obviously staying and Marvin may be as well. This bodes well for us next year. Now we just have to suffer through 8 LOOOOONNNNNNGGGGGG months before we get there.

It sounds like the conversations between Snyder and Gardener are something like, "Daryl you want to stay here, we want you to stay. Don't worry we'll take care of it." and Daryl says "OK". If only working with all free agents could be as easy as this. At least I hope it goes easy. I think he respects the fact that we gave him a shot when alot of other teams had written him off as a liability. We need DG back in a skin uni next year. He was the glue that held the defensive line together.

Originally posted by Atlanta Skins Fan

I just wish we had a defensive coordinator with the same attacking, menacing style as Gardener. Having Lewis manage Gardener (and LaVar) is like having the Incredible Hulk being led around on a leash by Urkle.

ASF, please elaborate on this. Lavar finished with what, 11 sacks? Have you ever seen a DT in the backfield more than Gardener was this year? Do you really believe what you just wrote, or were you looking for an excuse to pull out your little Hulk and Urkle analogy?

Skins56,

You know what's fairly amusing?

Lavar had more tackles and more sacks this year than he had last year and, I'd bet he'd tell you he was less aggressive. Gardener, if you'll recall, spoke about Marvin's defense being a "thinking" defense. He spoke about how in Miami the defense was simple and based on a single gap, single job concept on every play.

Marvin's defense is, by design, thoughtful. It's, by design, reactive. It's, by design, a chain. Every man has to do a specific thing as part of the chain. It's not a flow to the ball defense. It's not a quick pressure upfield, blow up a gap defense. It's a measured, steady, team concept defense. As Smoot said, it's not a star defense. Gardener was breathtaking considering he did what he did in a defense that produces Pro Bowl players with 30 fewer tackles.

I wouldn't term Lewis as an aggressive defensive coordinator. He's more like Ray Rhodes to me. They both employ a similar concept though Rhodes' is easier to implement because he assigns roles by play call rather than taking specific keys off the offense that can alter everyone's job. I remember when Rhodes left Philly how the defense got worse, but created some 25 more turnovers and the fans in Philly were overjoyed.

Not that it really matters. I think if Gardener were in Miami's scheme playing with the motivation he played with this year, he might have had Sean Gilbert production :).

Originally posted by Art

Skins56,

Lavar had more tackles and more sacks this year than he had last year and, I'd bet he'd tell you he was less aggressive. Gardener, if you'll recall, spoke about Marvin's defense being a "thinking" defense. He spoke about how in Miami the defense was simple and based on a single gap, single job concept on every play.

Marvin's defense is, by design, thoughtful. It's, by design, reactive. It's, by design, a chain. Every man has to do a specific thing as part of the chain. It's not a flow to the ball defense. It's not a quick pressure upfield, blow up a gap defense. It's a measured, steady, team concept defense. As Smoot said, it's not a star defense. Gardener was breathtaking considering he did what he did in a defense that produces Pro Bowl players with 30 fewer tackles.

I wouldn't term Lewis as an aggressive defensive coordinator. He's more like Ray Rhodes to me. They both employ a similar concept though Rhodes' is easier to implement because he assigns roles by play call rather than taking specific keys off the offense that can alter everyone's job. I remember when Rhodes left Philly how the defense got worse, but created some 25 more turnovers and the fans in Philly were overjoyed.

Not that it really matters. I think if Gardener were in Miami's scheme playing with the motivation he played with this year, he might have had Sean Gilbert production :).

I see your point Art. I also argue that Lewis' defense allows the players to be more "effectively aggresive". I can remember Arrington being more aggresive last year, but I also rememeber missed tackles and over-pursuits as well. This year it seemed more often than not that the players were in the right places at the right times, and the possibility of over-pursuing qb's and rb's was limited. But I do agree with everything you said. I just think ASF was taking a cheap shot at Lewis, which at this point seems to be a little out of line, considering how the defense finished the season.

I'm not sure I totally agree with some of the characterizations of Lewis's defense here. I happen to think that Lewis' philosophy of defense is EXTREMELY aggressive, in the sense that it aims to completely dictate to the offense once the ball is snapped.

That's the key. Most of the thinking in Lewis' defense happens before the ball is snapped. You read certain keys based on the offensive alignment and that dictates what your assignment is. Once the ball is snapped, it's completly balls-to-the-wall. You don't have to react to the offense anymore. You are now dictating to the offense.

Unlike other defenses that let players "flow to the ball," Lewis' defense is designed not to give offensive players ANYWHERE to go with the ball. Every gap is plugged on running plays. Key receivers and zones are accounted for. Blitzes are designed to force QBs to throw to the strength of the called coverage... etc.

Players don't have to react so much. Lewis himself may have said it, that it's not a "star" defense. But if players are where they are supposed to be, they will be in position to make the play. Finishing the play is were players become stars in Lewis' defense. The Ravens' defense sent several players to the Pro Bowl during Lewis' tenure. So how can it not be a "star" defense?

I really think you will see a huge difference in the defense from this season to next season if Lewis returns, and players like Gardener and LaVar and Champ will shine.

Guru,

The simple point is Lewis' defense teaches players to go against instinct. It teaches them NOT to go to the ball but to play space. That, by definition, lacks aggression. I understand the concept he teaches. I understand that it can and has worked and will work here beautifully given time. But, it is, by definition, not an aggressive scheme because it teaches players NOT to attack the ball carrier. It teaches them even if a guy is three yards from him that they shouldn't pursue until a specific point in the play.

It teaches against basic player instinct. It is not necessarily flawed, though I disagree with the concept. But, it is absolutely not aggressive.

Still disagree, Art.

Pursuing the ball isn't neccessarily an instinct. It is something that is taught in the pee wee leagues. It's a learned activity. The most basic one, granted.

But football isn't just about pursuing the ball. You have to defeat blockers. You have to get to a spot on the field before the opposition. And you can peform this tasks with as much aggression as you can chasing after the ball.

It's a big picture thing. Pete Sampras' best shot, as a young tennis player, was the two-handed back hand. But his coach made him unlearn that shot because a one-handed back hand offered more possibilites in attacking an opponent. It took time, but he became dominating because of it. He overcame a basic instinct and became a better player. Even though he may have been tentative while learning the one-handed back hand, I don't think anyone would every mistake Sampras as anything but an aggressive player.

Take that concept and multiply it by eleven.

I hate that people believe taking the thought process out of playing defense makes for better results. The best defensive coaches I've ever seen, Richie Pettitbon and Bill Billichick, asked their players to think all the time. They sought out players who could think. But I think it would be a major mistake and a major injustice to characterize either one of those guys as "not aggressive."

Lewis produced a top 10 defense with what I believe is top 10 personnel, so in that regard he didn't pull a rabbit out of his hat :)

What he DID do was stick to his guns and manage the defense the way HE thought it should be run. He didn't let the grumblings of LaVar, Trotter and Gardener affect how he coached.

THAT you can have respect for, even if you think another coordinator might get more out of LaVar in another scheme.

Guru,

The difference between what Petitbone and Belichek do and what Lewis does is they design defenses to target specific areas of the opposition's game. Lewis doesn't. Lewis is a dedicated system guy. He doesn't alter. He doesn't sway. He runs his system. He plugs squares into circles and blames the squares for not being circles.

No one has a problem with a "thinking" man's defense like Belichek or Petitbone. But, you are absolutely not getting the same type of coach with Lewis. Period. Further, getting the man with the ball is absolutely instinctual behavior that you are right, is learned from the youngest moments of our childhood. It starts with smear the queer. Lewis has said you have to unlearn what you've always done, and to play against instinct here. Armstead has said it. That's part of what makes Lewis' defense good, when it's fully implemented.

I've no doubt it'll be fine. I just happen to think it sucks. I'll think it sucks when we've got it performing like the Ravens defense too. But, I'll be happy it got to that point :).

you look around the league and a lot of the free spending teams of the past few years are strapped. I don't know whether Gardener will receive the kinds of offers he is expecting, based on his health risk. Remember that Sam Adams didn't get the long term mega bucks deal he was looking for last year.

Denver, Oakland, Green Bay, San Francisco, etc........these teams either are strapped or in SF's case already have money tied up in their DTs.

Perhaps a team like Atlanta or the Chargers (!!) will pursue Gardener. Also the Patriots, who had a lot of trouble stopping the run could use Gardener to pair with Richard Seymour up front.

Dallas? I don't see the Cowboys using up their cap space on another DT when they have Glover and have Noble as a RFA.

Philly? They already have Simon and Walker was just signed to an extension. And they have to resign Hugh Douglas.

Giants? Hamilton comes back and you have young developing players like Cornelius Griffin.

I think with a fair offer the Skins will have Gardener back.

I don't see any reason NOT to pay Daryl as long as there is a rider in there about the number of starts he needs to reach certain escalators and milestones :)

Originally posted by Art

Skins56,

Lavar had more tackles and more sacks this year than he had last year and, I'd bet he'd tell you he was less aggressive. Gardener, if you'll recall, spoke about Marvin's defense being a "thinking" defense.

It's funny how people tend to forget about the previous defenses Marvin Lewis' has run. His defenses have always looked very aggressive to me. Baltimores defense was one of the more aggressive defenses i've seen in a long-long time, as well as Pittsburgh's defensive teams when he was there.

When players get to know his defense like the backs of there hands they will in turn, be more aggressive. The thing about Levar is that he lacks discipline. It's not that his aggressiveness was taken away, it's probably if anything, being concentrated and more focused towards a team defensive goal.

Archived