Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Spurrier/Gibbs comparison

Thinking Skins

Yes, but Gibbs believed in a huge OLine, a sound running game, and a good kicker, those were his 3 primary concerns that he wanted to start with. Spurrier wants his primary concern to be, QB and WR's. If he doesn't go the way of the NFL and run the ball more effectively next season, we'll be back watching the playoffs at home, instead of watching the Redskins try and show off in the Playoffs.

Funny how time removes a man from his peak, isn't it ASF?

"Good thinking. I banged a couple of great-looking 17-year-old girls in 1982, so I'm looking forward to similar action next year."

And now, 20 years later, you're left to jerking off to Emmitt Smith posters :).

As for the potential for Spurrier to do what Gibbs did I don't think I see it. Spurrier has a very young QB to bring along. Gibbs had a pro like Theismann. It'll be tough on the Redskins at times next year because Ramsey is bound to be confused at times and to struggle some as an emerging young player.

Originally posted by Art

Funny how time removes a man from his peak, isn't it ASF?

"Good thinking. I banged a couple of great-looking 17-year-old girls in 1982, so I'm looking forward to similar action next year."

And now, 20 years later, you're left to jerking off to Emmitt Smith posters :).

Boy, and this is the thanks I get! :)

Here I *single-handedly* ended the Cowboy hex, offering to take matters into my own hands if the Redskins players couldn't pull it out and cream the Cowboys.

(sigh)

If Bill Parcells coaches the Cowboys and starts a new streak, I'm switching my dare to photos of Cowboy cheerleaders. :jerkoff:

Originally posted by Symbol

Yes, but Gibbs believed in a huge OLine, a sound running game, and a good kicker, those were his 3 primary concerns that he wanted to start with. Spurrier wants his primary concern to be, QB and WR's. If he doesn't go the way of the NFL and run the ball more effectively next season, we'll be back watching the playoffs at home, instead of watching the Redskins try and show off in the Playoffs.

This aint the 80's Symbol. The top 6 rushers are sitting at home this post season. It was also a season that set a record for 4th quarter come from behind victorys. You just can't come from behind running the ball every down in the 4th. But I'll bet you dollars to doughnuts that Spurrier is just as interested in a solid O line and rushing production when it's needed.

In short. Don't worry dude. The Ol Ball coach knows what he's doing.:laugh: :pint:

If Bill Parcells coaches the Cowboys and starts a new streak, I'm switching my dare to photos of Cowboy cheerleaders.

Traitor! You cant tell me you wouldn't be rooting for the boys if that were the case. Unless of course you *liked* that pic of Emmitt.

:rolleyes: :laugh:

A couple of points:

1. Richie Petitbon had been with the Skins for a couple of years before Gibbs came in. The D system was solid and RP, promoted in 1981 to DC, was to become the best DC in the league. They only added Dexter in 1982 and not much else. Darrell Green came in 1983.

2. Mark Moseley had been with the team for 7 years before Gibbs arrived.

3. Gibbs/Beathard added Russ Grimm, Joe Jacoby, Mark May and Jeff Bostic - basically in the same year (1981). They would anchor the TEAM for 10 more years. QBs, RBs,WRs and TEs would come and go but the Hogs were the rock. Jacoby and May would be considered huge - Grimm moderately so and Bostic definitely not.

4. Gibbs started the 1981 season with Riggins as his FB and Terry Metcalf and Joe Washington as his RB. He ran the Don Coryell passing game with Theisman performing miserably. After his 0-5 start (and a late night chat with Joe Theisman) he settled on Riggo as his one-back and added another tight end as an H-back (in part to offset Lawrence Taylor). The Hogs, Counter Trey, Riggo and the Fun Bunch (who played off the running game) were born.

The point is that for Gibbs the D had been in place for a while (the Skins just missed the playoffs in 1979 - arrrrggggghh), and the Gibbs that started his rookie season was not the same Gibbs that ended it. The D here changed alot this year (DC system , LE, RT, MLB, OLB, SS), the Skins OL was weak most of the whole year, and we had no established kickers.

However, like Gibbs, Spurrier modified his system and play calling and by the end of this year we had the 12th most carries in the league. Give us the luck that Beathard had in the early 80s and with one or two more good drafts we could be there.

Originally posted by Mad Mike

Traitor! You cant tell me you wouldn't be rooting for the boys if that were the case. Unless of course you *liked* that pic of Emmitt.

:rolleyes: :laugh:

I'll never root for the Cowboys. But I'll also never take a serious bet against Parcells, or at least a bet with gruesome consequences for losing.

Parcells coaching the Cowboys is a worst nightmare come true. I like and respect the guy a lot. And now I have a sick feeling he's about to make the Cowboys the exclamation point of his career.

Here I *single-handedly* ended the Cowboy hex, offering to take matters into my own hands if the Redskins players couldn't pull it out and cream the Cowboys.

And if the Pukes won, you were literally gonna "pull it out" and "cream a Cowboy" yourself :D

The NFL is becoming more passing oriented. SS came into the league at the right time.

The teams that are in the playoffs all have balanced attacks. The Jets with Pennington and Martin, The Titans with McNair and George, etc.

One thing they all have in common is a very solid defense. The Chiefs and Bills could get close, but you can't make the playoffs if your defense is weak.

there never will be another Joe Gibbs here folks :)

he coached and delivered the first championship for the Skins since WWII. That broke the spell of 40 years of frustration and coming close in 1972 under Allen.

any coach coming in here now has a big burden in terms of expectations because of the shadow of Gibbs.

there are only a few coaches in NFL history that got their teams to 4 Super Bowls and to get another in such a short time on one team, geez the odds have to be very long indeed :(

My goals for Spurrier are to get this team to the playoffs in 2003 in what has become a watered down league where teams DO go from 5-11 to the Super Bowl and vice versa.

There is enough talent on D if we resign Gardener, use the draft to build some depth at DE/DT and Trotter comes back healthy to challenge on that side of the ball.

It all comes down to what Steve can do with the area of the team where HE is supposed to be the savant.

He has some tools to work with on offense, but has to upgrade the skill positions and interior line and that is going to require a sharp eye for fit between scheme and talent, especially at WR.

Archived