Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dallas Morning News: Parcells signs four year deal

goldenster95

Ok, before I get jumped on further, let me clarify. I didn't say Parcells was a sure thing, just as close as you'll find in the NFL.

He's taken three different teams to conference championship games. Both the Patriots and Jets were perennial losers before he arrived, and in a few seasons he instilled each with a winning attitude that has carried over to this day, much as Lombardi did for us 30 years ago.

This is the exact type of coach a Cowboy organization that has gotten comfortable with losing needs.

I definitely agree Monarch with some of those issues.

Parcells is a guy that will be gone in 3 years or so. And as you said, he's not the youngest fella.

The problem though, IMO, is every coach has a blemish on their record.

Green, while he got his team to the playoffs 8 years of his 10, he never once took his team to the Super Bowl and has a reputation for his teams choking in big games. He also has the reputation for letting the inmates run the asylum.

A guy like Bob Stoops is unproven at this level.

Norv Turner failed his first time around, and if hired in Dallas, would be viewed as nothing but another puppet and an attempt on Jones to relive the glory years.

Holmgren, if he became available, has never enjoyed success without Brett Favre.

Mariucci is probably not going to become available, but if he did, he has the reputation for not being aggressive and not taking his team all the way.

The perfect coaching candidate can't be hired, because he isn't available. The guys that are atop the NFL coaching mountain right now won't even sniff the open market.

And, considering all this, I think it's hard to argue that there is a better candidate available than Bill Parcells...

Part of me says NOOOOOOOOO!!!! But there's another side of me that says (if he does actually end up being their coach that is) just sit back and watch Jerrah work his magic. After all, he's the one that rode JJ out of Dallass after winning those Super Bowls. Jerrah will eventually :shootinth just you watch (nods head nervously).

I can't believe all the questions I see throughout this post about Parcells' ability to turn around the Cowboys. Sure, he didn't win the SB with the Pats and Jets but he turned ttwo sorry franchises around. Right now, the Cowboys are a sorry franchise. Parcells has done it with each team he has coached. Why not the Cowboys? It is ridiculous to even question him when he has left nothing to question. I am not happy at all about him becoming the Cowboys coach. The Jets and Pats I didn't mind but an NFC East rival? That sucks!!!

As far as the Cowboys' QB situation. I read that Parcells has always liked Jake Plummer and he may go after him. And don't start making fun of this because we all know if anyone can make a winner out of Plummer, it is Parcells.

You want my honest feeling about this whole thing? How about this:

:cuss: :evil: :soapbox: :shootinth :doh: :hammer: :hammer: :box: :box:

Well as a Buc fan I have much anamosity toiwards Parcells for backing out of his word TWICE (one in 1992 and last year). Now last year I understand since he was going thru a divorce and his wife got like 8 mil and his favorite house from what I read. Plus It turned out for the better anyways by us getting a long term good upside coach in Gruden.

Parcells just doesn't seem like the coach puppet Jones usually wants. Maybe that will change. One thing is for sure, The Bucs will probably get draft picks back either two ways. If the NFL agrees on the compensation or if Keyshawn wants to go play for Bill again.

I remember Vermiel a couple years ago when he retired from footbll took a year off and then decided he wanted to coach again in KC but the Rams still had the rights to his contract and KC had to compensate them.

If he does go I hope Spurrier and the Redskins start a tradition of beating them with your last win as the first of many.

Parcells is most definately good for the Cowboys. Congrats to them for getting him.

One has to wonder if Jones is SLOWLY beginning to understand his limits. He'll alwyas want to be involved but he might be taking a baby step back here. If it leads to success, who knows ...

It will be very interesting to see who the Cowboys acquire over this coming off-season. That will go a long way toward determining how much success Parcells has in his first year. With the current Cowboy team under the Tuna I'd think he might have made it to 6-10 or 7-9. If he fills the right holes, who knows ... .500 or better is not out of the question.

The biggest thing Parcells will do immediately is get that team to believing that they will win. That's a big factor (IMHO) in a closely competitive game.

Agreed Blade. as of this a.m., nothing out there about Parcells and the Cowboys that hasn't already been reported. No confirmation on any press conference today as well. That said most reports seem to lean towards it's only a matter of time. Dollar as of right now the NFL is saying that it sees no stumbling blocks in the way of the Cowboys hiring Parcells by way of the Bucs. There is a hearing between the Bucs and the league this Thursday so we'll find out then. However all reports, including those from the NFL, say the contract was invalid so draft picks there may be unlikely. :cheers:

Originally posted by Park City Skins

...Dollar as of right now the NFL is saying that it sees no stumbling blocks in the way of the Cowboys hiring Parcells by way of the Bucs. There is a hearing between the Bucs and the league this Thursday so we'll find out then. However all reports, including those from the NFL, say the contract was invalid so draft picks there may be unlikely. :cheers:

I understand that, but legal battles are never over that easily.

If the Bucs have a contract with Parcells name on it in their possession, then the Bucs will get compensation. If they do not have one; they don't.

In the case of hiring an NFL HC, the window is usually very small. With all of the deadlines for college scouting, combines, minicamps, and draft out there, you can argue that every day that a party does not live up to their intent to execute a contract would be grounds for damage.

IF the Bucs can prove that they had legitimate claims to hire a backup coach IF Parcells had just simply said no right away, they could argue damages in the amount of the draft picks used for Gruden based on being forced into that scenario. That would be a long and tough case to prove in court though.

IF Parcells made any overture that he was prepared to except the Bucs offer, and thus forcing the Bucs to stop their HC search, they would be entitled to damages of some sort. IF he has a full contract (w/o an out clause, which no legitimate business would give here), NFL submitted or not, then he is indeed Bucs property, and the team that hires him MUST compensate the Bucs for his services.

This has nothing to do with whether or not he was paid a cent by the Bucs. A typical employee contract states the intent to pay an employee on certain fixed dates/time periods. If the Bucs didn't miss one of those dates, then they have lived up to their intent on that contract, payment or not.

It all comes down to whether or not the Bucs have a signed contract or letter of intent, or if they do not. But then why are they claiming they do?

It really doesn't matter to me unless the Bucs are entitled to something. Since I much rather have Gruden than Parcells anyway for long term stability.

Well, not quite. The Bucs will get compensation if they have a signed, enforceable contract. Part of that appears to require that the contract be submitted to the league office. Any official word on whether that happened?

Allowing the Bucs compensation on what amounts to a secret contract would set a horrible precedent.

For the record, I think the Bucs probably were entitled to compensation - from Parcells. But that opportunity seems to have been passed up when they quietly let him off the hook last year. Try to enforce anything now and maybe Parcells threatens to show up in Tampa for work tomorrow, and then let'em sort it out.

No matter what Jones and Parcells supposedly agreed to concerning control, you can be sure they both had their fingers crossed behind their backs. These guys are both control freaks! There is no way this relationship will last. On the positive side, Jerry vs. Bill should be quite an entertaining show for a couple of seasons. How will it end? With flamethrowers at 25 paces?

Archived