Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dallas Morning News: Parcells signs four year deal

goldenster95

Source: Parcells, Cowboys agree on 4-year deal

12/30/2002

By JEAN-JACQUES TAYLOR and CHIP BROWN / The Dallas Morning News

IRVING -- Bill Parcells has agreed to a four-year contract that will pay him roughly $4.5 million per season, and will be announced as the sixth coach of the Dallas Cowboys on Tuesday, a source close to Jerry Jones and Parcells said.

The announcement will culminate a coaching search by Jones that began with two games left on the Cowboys' schedule in a meeting between Jones and Parcells on Dec. 18 at Teterboro Airport in New Jersey.

The final details of the contract, including that Parcells will have total control of hiring and firing of assistant coaches as well as a strong say in personnel and draft matters, were concluded in a second meeting Friday on Long Island, N.Y.

Parcells, who has walked away from previous coaching jobs that appeared imminent, including Tampa Bay last year, was expected to fly into Dallas on Tuesday for a press conference.

Jones said Monday in a news conference to announce Campo's firing that he had no timetable to name Campo's successor but added, "I hope it can happen quickly." Jones publicly acknowledged having spoken to former Minnesota coach Denny Green about the possibility of becoming the Cowboys' next coach. Jones said in talking to Green he was taking seriously a new rule among NFL owners to interview at least one minority candidate when there is a head coaching change. Green is black.

Jones said his decision to fire Campo, who had three straight 5-11 seasons, "was not about what Dave was unable to do" but instead about a "change in philosophy." Jones said he was ready to hire a coach with previous NFL head coaching experience. All of Jones' previous hires - Jimmy Johnson, Barry Switzer, Chan Gailey and Campo - had no previous NFL coaching experience.

Parcells won two Super Bowls with the New York Giants, reached another with the New England Patriots and took the New York Jets to an AFC championship game.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/topstories/stories/123002dnspocowlede.3ffa2019.html

Jones was really desperate. initial reports were that Parcells would work for between $3-3.5 million a year. He got a lot more than that.

And the control aspect was worded in a way to sooth Jones' ego as Bill goes about the job of assembling a new Cowboys team :)

It will be interesting to see what Parcells can summon up.

There were those who felt that after taking the Eagles and then the Rams to the Super Bowl in different decades, that Dick Vermeil would do the same in Kansas City.

So far the Chiefs have been more exciting but an average club in his 2 years there.

Past success is not a guarantee of future wealth :D

The NFC East will be back on top in just a few short years. The Iggles will be solid for a few more years atleast. Giants, and Pukes will be much better. The Skins will get better by next year.

The thing that bothers me here is that now that there are four divisions and only two wildcards.......................a very good team in the NFC East will probably miss the playoffs with a better record than one of the division winners..................... I only hope its not us!

one coud see a Dan/Marty parallel here, although both Jones and Parcells are in their 60's and don't have Dan Snyder's timeline in terms of preparing to win a championship.

they are going to have to huddle close and work their butts off to get this 5-11 team back on top in a short time.

Parcells is 63 years old and has a history of heart trouble.

this looks like a 2 or 3 year marriage at most. Dallas at 5-11 and without a lot of impact players looks like a major rebuilding job.

Just consider the scoring differential in their games with the Eagles over the past 3 seasons, the best team in the division.

The average margin of victory has been 24 points.

Originally posted by Kilmer17

Id rqather see him than Dennis Green.

Parcells is done.

You're out of your mind.

Dennis Green is a terrific coach, but not a good disciplinarian. What the Cowboys need is someone with the balls to come in, seize the team from Jerry's grasp, and show the team who's boss. Parcells will excel in Dallas. You'll regret your words.

The Skins are closer to being good on paper, but Parcells is huge. He'd could make 53 turds in a latrine think they were Super Bowl bound. He gets the most from his players, and is the perfect antidote for overpaid, selfish players. On a Parcells team, it doesn't matter if you make $4 million a year. On any given play, you know you're one screwup from having to face Parcells.

The Skins will be lucky to outpace Parcells during his tenure in Dallas. The Cowboys lack talent at RB and OL, but if Parcells can fix that, I'm drinking during future Cowboy games.

Bulldog, we're rockin' over at thecowboys.net board.

Still a bit cautious knowing how Parcells has stood people up before though.

Optimistic, but I'm wanting to see him officially sign the thing and at the press conference before I doo too much celebrating. :pint:

Originally posted by Atlanta Skins Fan

The Cowboys lack talent at RB and OL, but if Parcells can fix that, I'm drinking during future Cowboy games.

You're kidding right?

First of all, saying that someone can "fix" an O-line like the one the Cowboys have is something akin to saying if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle . . . a hell of a lot easier said than done . . .

And "the Cowboys lack talent at RB and OL"? . . . jeez, I guess they don't lack talent at QB, the most important position on the field, at CB, on the D-line too, huh? . . .

Originally posted by fansince62

ASf...they still don't have a QB...and until they find one they will never win big.........

which brings to mind how they will handle the 6th pick in the draft?????

palmer will be gone and the bears will grab a QB.........problematic for the boys.........

My feeling is that Hutchinson is better than he's looked. With no running game and no pass protection, probably even Joe Montana would have looked like cr@p in Dallas.

My money says Parcells either uses the #6 pick on a franchise RB, or if he gets a good RB in free agency (Davis?), Parcells trades down and rebuilds the OL with lower #1 and #2 picks.

bulldog beat me to it. This sounds a lot like a Marty/Dan marriage. Bill has a habit of butting heads with nosey owners and then leaving them in the lurch. Jones will have to learn to stay out of Parcells' way, but if he does, the Cowboys should be a force by 2004. If there was such a thing as a sure thing amongst NFL coaches, Parcells is it.

All in all, I'd say this is bad news for Redskin fans.

With Parcells, there is no guarantees.

He's been successful and is an excellent coach. Will it translate in Dallas? Who knows. He should make the team better, but how much better?

The thing to me that is exciting is the change this represents for the Dallas Cowboys. Gone are the days of head coaches that just can't get it done. Parcells is a real head coach, which marks the first since Jimmy Johnson.

It's a similar situation in my mind to when you all hired Spurrier.

Who knows if he'll succeed here? But he was a helluva college coach, has a great offensive mind, and was a guy you had to hire when the opportunity presented itself.

There's no guarantees in this league. Teams come and go unexpectantly nowadays. So who knows how successful we could or will be under Parcells.

But if this is true and he's our guy, at least we finally have a coach that gives fans the feeling that can at least give us the chance of getting it done.

what Parcells does is make his players nervous, ALL of them. He doesn't allow any players to get over on him and act as if they are irreplaceable.

some like Drew Bledsoe he coddled and spoke softly in his ear so as to get him to play up to his potential and not whine.

With Keyshawn Johnson he just intimidated the WR from Day 1. He told him he hadn't done anything for HIM in the NFL and would have to earn a starting job just like everyone else :)

Once you get the prima donnas uncomfortable and working hard then you don't have a problem with the others because they realize they are expendable.

That's how Johnson managed the Cowboys from 89-93.

Johnson cut John Roper a week after trading for him because he fell asleep in a meeting.

Parcells once cut a guy for being 15 minutes late for a team flight with the Jets.

There will be some sucker with the Cowboys that Bill chooses to go after to make an example of, you can count on that :D

Originally posted by Atlanta Skins Fan

. . . The Skins are closer to being good on paper, but Parcells is huge. He'd could make 53 turds in a latrine think they were Super Bowl bound. He gets the most from his players, and is the perfect antidote for overpaid, selfish players. On a Parcells team, it doesn't matter if you make $4 million a year. On any given play, you know you're one screwup from having to face Parcells.

The Skins will be lucky to outpace Parcells during his tenure in Dallas. The Cowboys lack talent at RB and OL, but if Parcells can fix that, I'm drinking during future Cowboy games.

In a first, I agree wholeheartedly with ASF. Disliking the Cowboys, hopefully, doesn't affect my objectivity -- if this turns out to be accurate, I think this a BIG improvement for them. The only question in my mind is Parcells' health and "how quickly" he can turn things around rather than "if" he can turn them around. The RB issue will require some talent, but Parcells has a proven track record of taking low draft picks on the OL and making them into excellent players. Unfortunately, I think he'll make a big difference with their OL, barring a return of their injury jinx, as early as next year.

As ASF has said, one thing Parcells has consistently proven is that he knows how to get a team to play hard (he does it in a different way than did JJohnson for them, or Gibbs for us -- he does it through fear and intimidation rather than through positive encouragement, but either way can work).

Archived