Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com:"Chiefs' Holmes: I'll be starter if L.J. stays out"

jrfriedm

Sorry if this has been posted already, I didn't see it anywhere.

http://www.nfl.com/teams/story/KC/10286809

RIVER FALLS, Wis. (Aug. 8, 2007) -- Kansas City running back Priest Holmes has a message for holdout All-Pro Larry Johnson: If you don't want the job, I'll take it.

Holmes, a three-time Pro Bowl selection, will turn 34 in October and has been out of football since 2005 after suffering what many figured was a career-ending injury. The Chiefs are not planning on him being anything more than a situational back, if he returns to the field at all.

But he created a stir in July with his surprise return, and said this week his comeback attempt is going well as he works himself back into game shape.

He's still on the physically unable-to-perform list while veteran Michael Bennett and rookie Kolby Smith take most of the snaps at running back. But on Aug. 7, he was on the practice field in pads, taking handoffs and absorbing hits from assistant coaches using blocking pads.

Afterward, he said he's ready to fill the 27-year-old Johnson's shoes -- at least financially.

"Somebody has to get the money," he said. "Hey, if L.J. wants to leave the money out there, guess I'm going to take it. If he wants to come get it, it's rightfully his to take. He's earned it. But if he chooses not to come back, well, somebody has to take it. Why won't it be me?"

Johnson has been a no-show at camp as he seeks an extension to the seven-year contract he inked in 2003, which he can void down to a five-year deal after the final game of the 2007 season because of playing-time incentives.

Both head coach Herm Edwards and Chiefs president Carl Peterson have said Holmes will not be their feature back.

"If he's able to come back, he understands and accepts the fact that he would have a different role than when he was the starter," Edwards said.

*Click link for full article.*

Personally, I think that this is all a plow to help get LJ into camp. I understand LJ's position, but at the same time I'm really sick and tired of these guys just deciding not to show up for work because they think they deserve more money. If you or I tried this at our jobs, we would be shown the door before the laughter even stopped. You signed a contract, not honor it and get you butt out there and play.

I understand LJ's position, but at the same time I'm really sick and tired of these guys just deciding not to show up for work because they think they deserve more money. If you or I tried this at our jobs, we would be shown the door before the laughter even stopped. You signed a contract, not honor it and get you butt out there and play.

I understand what you are saying but they let some guys get by with this so it does work.

The NFL should just say that all contracts are final and until you complete your contract you are still owned by the team that you signed with. Even sitting out a year should mean you owe that year still.

These guys make crazy money anyway. LJ signed that rookie contract after all.

Personally, I think that this is all a plow to help get LJ into camp. I understand LJ's position, but at the same time I'm really sick and tired of these guys just deciding not to show up for work because they think they deserve more money. If you or I tried this at our jobs, we would be shown the door before the laughter even stopped. You signed a contract, not honor it and get you butt out there and play.

I respectfully disagree, Holmes should keep his mouth shut on this matter. This is how management gets leverage on their players. No player and I mean no player should ever speak on another players' contract. That is just bad taste. LJ is going to be getting the rock over 400x this year, if he plays the full year. KC would run him into the ground. He's proven he's a great RB and he deserves the money. Side note: didn't Holmes hurt his neck a couple of seasons ago? Isn't he still on P.U.P list? :helmet:

Archived