Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

One on one with Fred Smoot

themurf

nice piece. i keep thinking about the first time portis touched the ball in a skins uniform and taking it to the house and just knowing that on that first pass play against miami smooty is gonna come out of nowhere and snag a deflection and take it to the house. i'm tellign you right now i've seen it happen in my head.

now that would be sweet. that was the sweetest thing ever when that happened with portis.

and since when does someone that is humble say that they are humble? lol doesnt sound very humble to me

• 3 weeks later...
Good stuff Murf. Who served as your interpreter?

hehehe ... sad to disappoint, but it was just smoot and i. no interpreter necessary. we'll say it's because i traveled the world for more than seven years in the army - i guess i learned how to speak a few different languages.

Nicely done, Murf!

Sorry to say that I'm not sold in having Smoot back. He does add depth but his play was suspect when he left; not very good in Minny; and I haven't seen him do well in the 1st 2 preseason games. Maybe he'll make a good nickel.

We're in agreement. He was a "decent" corner but horribly overrated by Skins fans. He gave up a lot of plays... but he also made a few.

But I think as a nickel corner.... he has to be one of the best in the business right now. You KNOW he's going to make a few plays by the time it's all said and done.... and that's all you can really expect from a nickel corner.

But he's also going to get burnt as well... because he's not exactly a shut down corner either :) And we'll be cursing his name a few times by the time the season has ended as well. :)

With that being said... for a $7M signing bonus type of contract... for a nickel corner.... he's probably the highest paid 3rd corner in the NFL. So he had BETTER produce :)

Thanks everyone. We had a feeling something like this would be a hit. Smoot is such a great interview I just had to turn the recorder on and get out of the way. Tell your friends to come and check it out – if people really love this there’s a better chance of seeing more stuff like this down the road.

These interviews are phenomenal. Very candid and real. Very rare that a player admits to it being a business decision and nothing else.

Did he even talk to Minnesota before leaving Washington?

We're in agreement. He was a "decent" corner but horribly overrated by Skins fans. He gave up a lot of plays... but he also made a few.

I thought he was pretty close to shut down in 04 as you would expect from a #2 guy. I know he didn't give up a lot of plays that year but supposedly he wasn't the physical corner that Williams wants.

Now we have him back but that is a lot of money to pay the #3 guy. Walt Harris would have cost a ham sandwich to sign last year.

I guess if Springs finds another body part to break he's good enough to step in for a few games though.

Archived