Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL referees, thank you for being clean (?)

Skins Addict

Check out these stats for all 32 NFL teams:

In 2003, there were 3378 penalties for 28026 yards

In 2004, there were 3570 penalties for 29216 yards.

In 2005, there were 3720 penalties for 29796 yards.

(notice the numbers rising)

I was trying to figure out why penalties were on the rise in recent years. Here are some possible reasons I thought of:

• Refs being instructed to call more penalites, which equals longer games, which equals more money for owners and the league (from TV commericials, stadium concessions, etc.)
  • Secretly gambling referees having more control over point spreads.
  • Refs simply mishandling their authority.

But last season, there were only 3045 penalties for 25165 yards, a huge decline from the previous years!

My biggest fear as a sports fan is that games are 'rigged', even if just a little. As a hardcore fan of the Washington Wizards and NBA, my worst fear has come true. I always suspected it, but couldn't do anything about it. Although the NBA's gambling problem may be isolated to one referee, that is difficult to prove without an extremely thorough investigation.

I've seen no signs of 'dirty' refs in the NFL. I'd like to see them stop throwing flags for excessive celebration, but apparently that is too much to ask for. As much as I have bashed the NFL refs the past few years, I must admit the NFL refs seem to be on the right track, especially after seeing the penalty numbers on the decline, and comparing them to their NBA counterparts.

^^ Sometimes, withholding a flag is just as bad, if not worse, than throwing one.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen one of our guys on the Dline get held so blatantly with a ref right there who decided NOT to throw a flag. It's sickening.

Check out the last game of the season against the Giants if you don't believe me.

^^ Sometimes, withholding a flag is just as bad, if not worse, than throwing one.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen one of our guys on the Dline get held so blatantly with a ref right there who decided NOT to throw a flag. It's sickening.

Check out the last game of the season against the Giants if you don't believe me.

the andre carter hold fest

I too am a huge Wiz fan, and I don't know how I'll ever watch another NBA game without some question as to whether the refs are rigging it. They're horrible enough as it is...

Regarding the rising penalties, the pass interference rule and holding past five yards being enforced more would probably affect both the number of penalties and the penalty yards (increasing both).

The second cowboys game was pretty bad too.

I

Regarding the rising penalties, the pass interference rule and holding past five yards being enforced more would probably affect both the number of penalties and the penalty yards (increasing both).

And that roughing the passer garbage, you can't even breathe on the QB legally anymore.

Nearly impossible for the refs to stay clean when you really think about it.

They don't make much money, and are more easily bought off than paying off several players of an entire team, who already make much more money than the ref.

They alone control much more of the final score than any quarterback or receiver could possibly do on their own...and because of this are much less risky to the party interested in paying them off.

Paying off one qb......doesn't mitigate the risk that his defensive players won't return interceptions back for touchdowns. However, paying off one ref to throw extra holding flags....or to throw a block in the back flag on any kickoff return is easy.

It has likely been done already.....but I don't even know why the bookies would take such a risk with a high profile nfl game, as opposed to some division 2 little ncaa school that no one is watching. They can make just as much money fixing either....and the less viewed game of course makes it easier.

I've seen no signs of 'dirty' refs in the NFL.

I don't know if I'd agree if I were a Seahawks fan.

Even to a neutral observer it looked like the Steelers were given a trophy 2 years ago that they didn't earn....coincidentally (?), during Bettis' last season and when it was obvious their coach--considered some kind of genius by most of the media--was running out of gas on a long tenure with the team.

At best the officiating was incompetent. IMHO.

Well I think the reviews have helped alot with this since everyone can now see the play and it can be overturned if needed, seems like they are doing whatever they can to try and keep the calling as correct as possible.

Everything of everything is dirty these days. Too much bad things to filter out the good things.. If I had a league to run I would allow cheating to gain success. I mean you can argue that our President had something to do with cheating to win Florida during last elections. Or Bud Selig knowing about Steroids (which helped bring Baseball back to life after losing fans from Strikes in the 90s). Boxing is rigged by Promoters, Judges and even Refs. Olympics, I mean everything! It is this new generation of butt-faces taking shorcuts to prosper when oldschoolers did everything the hard and long way. Very sad, but imo very true...I mean common people even cheat drug tests at work when they run heavy machinary, driving, etc; jobs that require you to be sober no matter what. I mean come on!

One reason for the increase of penalties is the new rules that seem to get put in place. The way they changed the defensive interference and added defensive holding on defensive backs added a lot more penalties. Players needed to adapt, and it was hard at first and they went to their old habits and got flagged.

']I'm going to have to say' date=' no thank you to the refs. i dont think they're clean at all, regardless of what the director of officials says on NFL Network.

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204130

:2cents:

Well that is discouraging. Reading what you said about the GB/WAS game in 2004 brought back some bad memories and made me shiver, literally. That is clearly the most questionable call I've seen during Gibbs II.

But the NBA scandal really got me thinking about this. I cannot even count how many NBA games I've watched where it seemed like the refs just handed the game to one team, while screwing the other. But I cannot say the same about NFL games - maybe just a handful (such as GB/WAS). To me, the difference is that NBA refs appeared to intentionally screw one team/player, while the NFL refs just seemed to suck and act like they were blind.

One reason for the increase of penalties is the new rules that seem to get put in place. The way they changed the defensive interference and added defensive holding on defensive backs added a lot more penalties. Players needed to adapt, and it was hard at first and they went to their old habits and got flagged.

Well that is a good point. But how do you explain the sudden drop in penalties? (There were 700 fewer penalties in 2006, an 18% decrease) Did the DBs finally figure out how to cover people without getting flagged?

Well I think the reviews have helped alot with this since everyone can now see the play and it can be overturned if needed, seems like they are doing whatever they can to try and keep the calling as correct as possible.

Good point. Sometimes stupid, sometimes blind, but generally they are pretty clean IMO. After a few years of bad calls going against us, I think we might have come out slightly ahead last year. Go Wahoos.

Archived