Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL Network and Comast fight!!

APBT

Yep I did not know it had gone to court. NFL Network was fighting for us to make it free.

Who owns Comcast, Tony Soprano?

They're not fighting for you, they're fighting for themselves because they'll be losing a lot of money through commercials. Maybe I'm misunderstanding?

Well, if available, Verizon FIOS.

But, FIOS is not everywhere yet (except at my house). Directv is pretty good and it is available in most places.

Fred Jones has it absolutely correct, AS SOON as you can get your hands on Verizon FiOS, DO IT!! They not only have NFL Network, but NFL NETWORK in HD!! Hopefully we can see Coach Gibbs Smile at the end of the games against Tennessee and ESPECIALLY against the Bears in High Definition. FiOS has it all HD-DVR boxes so I can watch the games over and over

I'm with Direct TV so i'm good. The reason i switched to Direct TV is because cable didn't carry NFL Network in my area. I have been enjoying NFL network for the past 2 and a half to 3 years. Loving it.

Way to go Comcast!!!!!!!!!

http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/faq_comcast

4. Why is this happening?

Last year, Comcast asserted that it had a right under its contract with NFL Network to distribute the service only as part of its approximately $5 specialty sports tier, and to take it away from the digital basic subscribers who have received it as part of their regular service package. NFL Network believed Comcast's contract interpretation was wrong and brought a lawsuit to try to prevent Comcast from moving NFL Network to a sports tier. The court recently decided that Comcast's contract gave it the right to move NFL Network to a sports tier. Comcast has decided to do so, even though that decision means that you, the Comcast customer, will have to pay more to get NFL Network – and that if you decide to stick with your digital basic service, you will be receiving less content (no NFL Network) for the same price.

With Verizon FIOS, just make sure that Verizon doesn't cut your POTS line or you'll find it difficult to go back to phone/dsl w/o FIOS.
Thats why they cut the POTS line b/c they don't want people to try and switch back and forth so easily.

Actually your statements are incorrect. I just got FiOS installed today (internet only, I have Dish Network - wife loves those South Asian Dramas - and in turn I get my NFLN) and was told I have 90 days to try it out and can go back to DSL if I want. I also watched the guy re-wiring the box outside my house and make sure all he does is re-routes the wires from the POTS lines to the FiOS box. So your lines going into your home are now on Fiber Optics network.

See us IT guys make sure there is always an option B. I made sure the installation was done according to what I wanted. Hell I should have charged Verizon for borrowing some of my tools:D.

One word: DirecTV

++++++++++++++++++

T, did you see that latest deal in the NP? Purchase Sunday ticket for four months at $69.00 and you get the Premium pkg. for free. Up to four systems and you can add Tivo for $5.00 a month it looks like.

Do you every have any problem with reception during our rain storms?

PM me if you want.

This is what one cable company was telling thier employees to do if questioned about NFL Network:

-- First, to be clear, Cable Co. pays networks like the NFL Network to carry their programs. (Many customers think Cable Co. and other cable companies get paid by the networks.)

-- The bottom line on NFL Network negotiations is this -- even with potential advertising dollars considered – the NFL Network’s demands to this point would force us to raise prices for every Cable Co. customer (not just football fans).

 The NFL Network is not allowing us to carry the network on our digital sports tier, where sports fans, in particular, would bear the cost. The network is demanding we carry its programs on our expanded basic tier, a far more costly approach for Cable Co. and all of its customers.

 We also are not being offered an option that would allow sports fans or football fans to choose to pay for the NFL Network on a pay-per-viewer basis.

-- We negotiate with hundreds of networks. We must negotiate reasonable deals with all of them or else cable costs will skyrocket.

-- We will continue good-faith negotiations with the NFL Network.

FOR USE IF PRESSED FURTHER:

 The NFL Network is demanding that we pay prices up to four times what they proposed to charge us in monthly licensing fees before the network started carrying the eight live regular season NFL games.

 The advertising opportunities the NFL proposes to give us are no different than any other programmer and do not allow us to recoup the exorbitant costs proposed by the NFL Network.

 Lots of programmers want to be in expanded basic. The NFL Network proposal would literally require us to spend capital (or construction) dollars across the country to meet its demands. Again, in this case, this would be to accommodate a very limited and very specific portion of a much larger audience.

It makes you understand why Comcast and other cable companies want it on a tier that they make extra money on.

Just an FYI, if you complain they have a special "discounted" $2.99 a month rate.

Just call and complain and tell them its ridiculous, you want to cancel, theyll transfer you to customer retention where essentially you get anything you want. Guy offered me right off the bat the $2.99 plan PLUS $5 a month off the bill for the trouble. No questions asked.

Directv has always been vedy, vedy good to me. :D

But they are seriously getting outrageous with their prices. For example, the "Superfan" package use to be free where as now you have to pay for it. I also received an email a couple of weeks ago from them saying that they were going to have more HD channels available. But, we have to buy some type of additional component from them in order to get the channels.

Did anyone else receive this notice?

That's about the BBC connectors needed for when their new satellites come online. They will give them to you free if you don't have them. That's if you already have MPEG4 hardware (5 LNB sat dish, new receivers). If you don't have those there will be some charge unless you negotiate with customer retention.

As far as the OP goes, if you go satellite and have a HDTV, I'd go with Dish over DirecTV. Better PQ, better DVR.

Yeah **** you comcast. I can't wait until I switch to Verizon FIOS.

for real ... hurry the ef up Verizon, I need some FIOS ... or a I may just go back to a satellite package and take my chances with the bad weather. I just recently had to do this ... now you have to pay $12.99 a month for additional cable box converters ... WEAK! It should be one set price.

I just cancelled my Comcast cable today after having Fios installed over the weekend. Cheaper, better quality picture, more channels, and internet with 15mb down and 2mb up makes me a happy person.

I have been waiting so long to actually have another option for cable besides Comcast (no satellite from where my apartment is), and calling this morning and saying, "I am cancelling my cable service due to horrific customer service" was among the better feelings I've had in the last few months.

comcast sux for sports coverage but is great for high speed internet! that being said i miss my NFL network and since i already pay comcast 170$ a month and now dont get the NFL net, when i call to get it back i'll have to cancel all my movie channels!:doh: oh and this is fairly old newws if u have comcast:toilet:

EDIT: Oh and there TV service is terrible it glitches every 5 min! u always get some digital fart that skips, it really sux cause most of the stuff I tivo cant be burned out to DVD just cause of the #$@^&% quality!

Yeah my bill is up there as well. I pay alot every month to have two HD boxes and one DVR. Also pay for HBO and now they want me to pay for the NFL network. I told them that I wanted to cancel HBO. They are giving it to me for free for two months. Supposedly, Verizon is supposed to be putting in FIOS in my neighborhood. Once that happens, bye bye comcast. Even if the price is the same. I am tired of giving my money to a company that seems to give cruddy channels and charges way too much! Absolutely the worst cable service ever.

On a side note, I would say that Directv is not much better. They are so disorganized. I dropped 500 bucks to get all these boxes and the NFL ticket. They scheduled it for labor day monday. They didn't show and then told me that they couldn't install until OCT. I told them to cancel immediately.

I had Comcast the past year because they gave me a deal I couldn't refuse. After 12 months it ran out so I am back with DISH. The cool thing was DISH now offers a deal to sign up for their HD package, with free installation and a free HD receiver with NO COMMITMENT. As far as I know its offered through a special services department out in Colorado only. I have their top 200 PLUS 27 HD channels for $42.99 a month for 12 months. Locals are extra but their is no need to pay as every local DC channel now broadcasts in digital and can easily be picked up via an off air antenna which feeds directly into the back of my DISH receiver. This setup of course includes NFL Network HD, although not all their regualr programming is in HD. The games however are all HD. :logo:

Ok, I've been through this with comcast a few weeks back when they turned in into the sports package. I tried to call and complain, but the poor sales person really couldn't help me. I did my best not to take my frustration out on her. She gave me the address of the local Comcast PR representative. I tried to email comcast through their website and even discussed it on their forums. Neither way got me anywhere.

So, I broke down and spent the stamp on snail mail. I was respectful through out it, but I pointed out that I felt that it was an attempt to bilk me for extra charges because of the popularity of the NFL and the Thursday games. I mentioned that while the court had given them the LEGAL right to charge us more, it doens't mean that as a customer, I should be happy about it. I informed them that my intentions were to investigate other television and internet providers that didn't charge extra for the NFL network. I then mentioned that I think that charging $5 is a minimal fee, but on top of the rest of my $125+ bill, I found it unreasonable.

Within a week the guy called me back and gave me a year of the sports package for free. He said that this decision has given him the most negative publicity of any move the company has done, but he thought Comcast would stick with it.

So, my suggestion, go mail them and complain. If nothing else, keep them counting how many unhappy customers it is, so they can reconsider. Maybe you'll get a free year out of it too.

I'm glad to hear that, but this is information you've got to pass on to the rest of us. Where did you send the letter to, and who was it addressed to. I want to see if I can pull off a similar thing and get the NFL Network as well.

Archived