Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Two TV news choppers crash mid-air while filming police chase

Leonard Washington

How did this happen?

caution the videos have footage right up to the crash.

http://www.9wsyr.com/content/news/breakingnews.aspx?content_id=478328b0-219f-44d6-adab-cffd1225cd29

PHOENIX (AP) - Two news helicopters collided and crashed Friday while covering a police pursuit on live television, killing at least two people.

Both helicopters went down in a park in central Phoenix and caught fire.

The collision happened as the two choppers broadcast coverage of police pursuing a truck. Cameras aboard both aircraft were pointed at the ground, so viewers did not witness the accident. The first indication of trouble came when pictures from one of the helicopters broke up, then showed spinning images before the station switched to the studio.

Television station KNXV reported that it owned one of the choppers. The other was from KTVK, which reported that the pilot and photographer were killed in the crash.

Within a minute, other stations with helicopters in the area began reporting news of the crash.

The two choppers came down on the grass lawn in front of a boarded-up church at the park. Firefighters swarmed to the area as thick black smoke rose from the scene.

Mary Lewis said she was stuck in traffic with her four grandsons and was watching the helicopters. She turned to talk to the children, then saw a fireball in the air when she looked up again.

"I looked up and I see this 'boom,' and I see one of the helicopters coming down, and I said 'Oh my God,"' Lewis said. She said she went to the crash site to help, but there was nothing she could do.

"It's nothing there," Lewis said. "Just burned-up stuff."

Archived