Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Vick Pleads Not-Guilty

turbodiesel#44

CNN reports Vick has pleaded not guilty in Richmond court. Court date set for November 26th.

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/07/26/vick.dogfighting/index.html

http://www.reuters.com/article/domesticNews/idUSN2622880920070726

Also, the judge has taken Vicks passport and told him that he cannot leave Virginia without court permission. So much for camp anyway. The Judge also suspended Vicks dog breeding license.

Here is an interesting article from SI that breaks down the indictment with commentary.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/07/24/case.against.vick0730/?eref=si_nfl

And it looks like Vicks alleged dogfighting operation may have been more than an east coast thing.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/13759991/detail.html

What does everyone think of this defense team? formidable? Bunch of sleazebuckets?

I just don't get the Johnnie Cochran vibe from this guy. I know he's defended a bunch of famous people (Lewinsky, Iverson, Jayson Williams) but will he actually get an acquittal?

I don't think this should have been a federal matter to begin with but the point is moot......the feds very seldom lose (whether the defendant is guilty or not). Twenty years ago this would not have even been much of a story and would not have come close to threatening his career. My how times have changed. I hate to say it but his career is pretty much over.

I wonderder how the legal team his lawyer assembled feels about going up against the federal government.

Eh, it happens a lot. Any case that is across state lines is a federal case. If I speed from ten yards inside Maryland to ten yards inside Pennsylvania, it's literally a federal case.

Anyway, anyone that Vick would hire would have a lot of experience with federal cases.

I hope that justice is served.

Eh, it happens a lot. Any case that is across state lines is a federal case. If I speed from ten yards inside Maryland to ten yards inside Pennsylvania, it's literally a federal case.

Anyway, anyone that Vick would hire would have a lot of experience with federal cases.

I hope that justice is served.

Good point, but they are involved in one of the biggest cases in recent history, it must be even a little daunting to think about. At least until the team gets rolling with the case.

Good point, but they are involved in one of the biggest cases in recent history, it must be even a little daunting to think about. At least until the team gets rolling with the case.

I see where you're coming from, but hyped doesn't mean big. NOT to be political, but I'd say what was going on with our Attorney General and his case would be a lot bigger. Same with Scooter Libby. Vick is popular, but an animal cruelty case < a lot of other cases.

Not that I think that animal cruelty in ANY way is acceptable, and I hope Vick dies the same death as the dogs that he killed (if true), but reality is reality.

Sadly, I think Vick is going be playing football in the NFL even if he's convicted.

This lawyer isn't going to keep him from being found guilty. He's going to keep Vick employed. And if Vick gets a prison sentence, this lawyer is going to make sure it's not a long prison sentence. Less than a year.

Same with Scooter Libby. Vick is popular, but an animal cruelty case < a lot of other cases.

Not that I think that animal cruelty in ANY way is acceptable, and I hope Vick dies the same death as the dogs that he killed (if true), but reality is reality.

While not trying to downplay the animal cruelty thing, this is also about illegal betting and the fact that they went through so much trouble(buying a house and kennel, breeding dogs, setting them up in practice fights etc.) makes it organized crime.

If Vick just had a dog that he took from Virginia to North Carolina for a fight and never did it again, then I would see this as an overblown animal cruelty case. I think this case has a lot more scope to it than people are giving it. This isn't something that came about in Vick's backyard when an aquataince brought over another dog.

I see where you're coming from, but hyped doesn't mean big. NOT to be political, but I'd say what was going on with our Attorney General and his case would be a lot bigger. Same with Scooter Libby. Vick is popular, but an animal cruelty case < a lot of other cases.

Yet another good point by NewCliche :)

I don't follow political trials or happenings all that much, just a waste of time and energy for me, so I am not sure what those other cases are. Question though, if hype doesn't mean big, does anyone consider the O.J trial "big"? On a time scale, for something that televised, it was enormous, in my humble opinion, of course :)

While not trying to downplay the animal cruelty thing, this is also about illegal betting and the fact that they went through so much trouble(buying a house and kennel, breeding dogs, setting them up in practice fights etc.) makes it organized crime.

If Vick just had a dog that he took from Virginia to North Carolina for a fight and never did it again, then I would see this as an overblown animal cruelty case. I think this case has a lot more scope to it than people are giving it. This isn't something that came about in Vick's backyard when an aquataince brought over another dog.

Agree. This is a major thing. In my opinion, it's not the defense attorney's job for a total acquittal (although I'm sure he'd like to have it). For this federal case, it's his job is to get the most lenient sentence or getting everything reduced to a minimal charge. A total acquittal is a bit of a pipe dream.

Archived