Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

i need electronics advice

squatch66

so i found this coupon that i had from best buy that i lost for $50 that expires tomorrow. i also have a $25 gift card from there as well so i need to spend it by tomorrow.

i have narrowed it down to two things that i want to use them on. either a ps3 or a home theatre system. i figured i should pick up a ps3 now while they are getting rid of the cheap ones. $425 for a ps3 isnt bad.

the home theatre system is a pioneer 5.1 dvd system. the dvd player is touted as an upconversion unit to 1080p. i have an hdtv so i am interested in this. the system is on special for $380 so i would get it for $305.

im really torn between the two as the new ps3 is coming out at $600 and i am thinking $175 off is a good deal but have been wanting a home theatre system.

HELP!!!!

I would also go with the PS3 in this case. You are getting a blu-ray player when you do that and it is in 1080p, and you can find very inexpensively priced surround sounds after the fact. Some stand alone ones go for as low as $150 as long as you don't need the DVD player. If you have a large DVD collection and do not want to invest in blu-ay then it is a tougher decision.

Since the latest firmware update the PS3 is an excellent upconverting DVD player (it is as good as very expensive stand-alone DVD players) AND a Blu Ray player as well. Why don't you get that now and then add the surround sound system down the road.

Out of those 2 I'd say PS3 (although if you read any my gaming post I recomment 360). Surround sounds you want to make sure you get a good system. I purchased one system (Home theater in a box) I have already upgraded my speakers, and would like to get a new reciever if I could afford the one i want. But when getting surround sound make sure not to cut corners, speakers will last a long time, and good ones will really immerse you into the game or movie.

I'd have to agree PS3... although I'm biased towards spending more $$$ on the Home Theater System. I put together one for about $700 and I barely crank the sub up...

I am biased too I guess. The reciever I want costs about $1500 and I spent about $1000 on speakers. But the reason why so much is cus I went cheaper and now I see what I want so have to buy again, hoping not to have to buy again after that.

Torresa... you got a big room or something? To me that seems like a lot. I guess I'm just a casual audiophile.... although my budget was like $500 on speakers (50% for an entry 5.0 set, and 50% for a great sub) and $200 on a receiver.

Torresa... you got a big room or something? To me that seems like a lot. I guess I'm just a casual audiophile.... although my budget was like $500 on speakers (50% for an entry 5.0 set, and 50% for a great sub) and $200 on a receiver.

I guess I am kind of particular. I want my reciever to do everything. Have all the connections I need, which mean multiple HDMI inputs, up conversion and all. Done some studying to get good quality stuff. The speakers are basically Klipsch knock offs. If you really start to look at speakers, $1000 is not that much for whole speaker set. It's when you start paying $1000 per speaker that gets out ridiculas.

It's really not all that much considering how much I paid for my TV. I bought a Big Screen High def about 3 years ago so prices were higher then. Most people will spend $1000 on a TV no problem. But I think sound is as important as viseo sometimes more important. Watching Sports, I'd say a High Def picture is more important than surround sound. But watching a movie, Audio is as important, if not more important thatn video. Cranking the sound up watching the battle scene in LOTR really immerses you in the movie.

Torresa has it right. A good receiver typically starts at about a grand. There are some exceptions, but that's usually the rule.

It is also important to get good speakers as well, which you never really get with HT in a box systems.

I'd buy the PS3. That isn't likely to drop in price anytime real soon.

Jason

hmmm to really judge the marginal benefits you have to tell us what your current home theater system is like. If you got some crappy 25 inch TV and no stereo then buying a new theater system would be wise... but if it is already awesome, get the PS3

i have a 56" 1080p dlp tv. i dont have a home theatre system yet thats why i was thinking of buying the system. i wanted to build my home theatre system with one of the really nice upconverting dvd players from denon and a high quality reciever but was just thinking of something to tide me over.

i think you guys are right about the ps3 so credit card = maxed out:laugh:

Archived