Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What do you fear most about 07 season?

BMahoney

depth good at dline???? please do tell.

I don't think a satisfactory talent level is there, but we have a bunch of guys who can produce at a similar level. I think our rotations of Wynn/Daniels/Carter/Evans at DE and Griffin/Golston/Salave'a/(Boschetti?) at tackle are both solid. All eight of these players have starting experience and have proven they can play despite a lack of star-power.

EDIT: Compare that with our offensive line depth... if anybody goes down, we have no idea what we are going to get. Letofu, Pucillo, Tucker and Whitticker are all crapshoots and will likely be playing out of position.

I don't think a satisfactory talent level is there, but we have a bunch of guys who can produce at a similar level. I think our rotations of Wynn/Daniels/Carter/Evans at DE and Griffin/Golston/Salave'a/(Boschetti?) at tackle are both solid. All eight of these players have starting experience and have proven they can play despite a lack of star-power.

EDIT: Compare that with our offensive line depth... if anybody goes down, we have no idea what we are going to get. Letofu, Pucillo, Tucker and Whitticker are all crapshoots and will likely be playing out of position.

wynn/daniels are both very old. they have health issues and durability issues. evans has never produced much of anything. carter is solid, needs to get better at stopping the run though.

griffin is an injury concern as well as salavea, both are on the wrong side of 30 and havent been effective in a few years. golston gained weight, looks promising, but hes more of a crapshoot than anyone else. boschetti i dont think has played a snap for us, and if he has it was in junk time. montgomry is the other guy you should have listed, and hes played in very limited time as well.

our dline is full of unproven rookies, aging vets with injury concerns, and andre carter. there is no good depth there. if you feel comfortable with demetric evans subbing in for carter if he goes down, youre a braver man than i.

our oline is where i think we have ok depth. puccillo was very effective last year in his time on the line, we added fabini who is a proven starter and solid veteran depth (everyone seems to forget we signed this guy), tucker is solid guard or center, and some of the other younger guys are question marks. our oline was killer last year, and sure injuries can definitely hurt this unit, but ill trust our oline/depth any day of the week over our dline.

wynn/daniels are both very old. they have health issues and durability issues. evans has never produced much of anything. carter is solid, needs to get better at stopping the run though.

griffin is an injury concern as well as salavea, both are on the wrong side of 30 and havent been effective in a few years. golston gained weight, looks promising, but hes more of a crapshoot than anyone else. boschetti i dont think has played a snap for us, and if he has it was in junk time. montgomry is the other guy you should have listed, and hes played in very limited time as well.

our dline is full of unproven rookies, aging vets with injury concerns, and andre carter. there is no good depth there. if you feel comfortable with demetric evans subbing in for carter if he goes down, youre a braver man than i.

our oline is where i think we have ok depth. puccillo was very effective last year in his time on the line, we added fabini who is a proven starter and solid veteran depth (everyone seems to forget we signed this guy), tucker is solid guard or center, and some of the other younger guys are question marks. our oline was killer last year, and sure injuries can definitely hurt this unit, but ill trust our oline/depth any day of the week over our dline.

Well we're probably not going to agree here. I think we are injury away on the o-line from tailspinning, and a lot of people in the media and on this site have agreed. Pucillo spent most of his time as a 6th O-Linemen (69 is still eligible) and we signed a lot of castaways from other teams for vet minimums. Guys ike Fabini and Tucker could be good, but my issue is that we have no clue as to what their capabilities are. Fabini, Tucker, and Pucillo started a combined one game last season.

On the d-line we know we're going to have guys with significant starting experience who have played in the Williams system for 3+ years.

I'm most concerned about the chemistry of the entire team, and how Gibbs will get entire team to respond to last year's performance.

Gibbs has won it all with arguably less talent across the board, so I really think this season is going to come down to how well everyone plays as a unit.

In other words I fear Gibbs may have lost this team.

Well we're probably not going to agree here. I think we are injury away on the o-line from tailspinning, and a lot of people in the media and on this site have agreed. Pucillo spent most of his time as a 6th O-Linemen (69 is still eligible) and we signed a lot of castaways from other teams for vet minimums. Guys ike Fabini and Tucker could be good, but my issue is that we have no clue as to what their capabilities are. Fabini, Tucker, and Pucillo started a combined one game last season.

On the d-line we know we're going to have guys with significant starting experience who have played in the Williams system for 3+ years.

pucillo was great when he reported as an eligible receiver (god we should have thrown him the ball once for fun) and the other guys have starting experience. fabini was a starter for a long time, tucker was on the patriots a few seasons ago. wade was great at OT last year in place of jansen for that small time period, he could always be moved back if another guy can play guard. and this kili lefotu could turn out as well, hes another one of our rookie "ifs". our depth isnt great, but then again, our oline doesnt have nearly the injury concerns that our dline has. even our dline depth has injury concerns.

we might not have a clue what were getting from our OL reserves, but we have a clue about how well our dline depth can perform, and its quite a scary clue.

Many

1. Jason Campbell not panning out or the coaches not living with his growing pains.

2. Wade not holding up at LG.

3. Any injury on the DL would be devastating. Of course any injury is devastating but the age of our DL makes them more susceptible.

4. Lloyd continuing to be what he was last year....Not much

I'm most concerned about the chemistry of the entire team, and how Gibbs will get entire team to respond to last year's performance.

Gibbs has won it all with arguably less talent across the board, so I really think this season is going to come down to how well everyone plays as a unit.

That's the scariest thought of them all.

That would be the worst possible scenario but I just don't believe it to be true or that it will come true, though Gibbs has had a far from perfect record since he came back I am yet to see any of the players began bashing the team or saying such things as "we were outcoached" like Tiki did after Coughlin lost the Giants. The only bad thing we have heard about Gibbs and his staff came from Portis about playing in the pre season game and this was out of sheer frustration and I am as positive as I can be that the relationship between CP and our organization is a good one.

Aren't all rookies unproven?

He's not a rookie anymore, Montgomery went the entire year without sniffing the field.

He's a late round pick and hopefully he will develop, but to count him in as any kind of contributer at all at this point is a reach.

IMO the team seems to have an up and down psyche & when things go bad they can go downhill fast. My fear is that they DON'T play with a chip on their shoulder to prove that last season was a fluke but instead play like last season never happened and they expect that they will be great, don't take some of their opponents as seriously as they should, start losing, and point fingers maybe not openly but internally about the coaches.

Gibbs is on the hot seat -- 2 of his three seasons were losing ones..if we start off slow, the media and perhaps the players will start writing his football orbituary.

Gregg Williams likewise is on the hot seat, maybe not as much so as Gibbs though. His defense played well the first two seasons but poorly last season, will the real defense stand up..if they start slow the media and perhaps the players will wonder about his scheme and the fact that he didn't do what the media thought he should do in the off season and that is upgrade the defensive line.

Personally, I don't think the Skins will get off to a poor start and I like both Gibbs and Williams but on the chance it does things can spiral out of control fast.

A few scout NFL types thought last season at the beginning the Skins had an air of arrogance about them, counting the chickens before they were hatched, they didn't play with an edge like they did during their playoff run but played fat and happy as if they already arrived. I think the Skins play better with a chip on their shoulder as opposed to act if they are the team to beat.

I hear you, but I don't think this will be too much of a problem, at least not on the offensive side of the ball, and not with Gibbs directly. Two years ago when the season was on the verge of tanking, Gibbs reached down deep and was able to motivate his players. He used a staunch defense and a good running game to pull the team into the playoffs. Last year Gibbs tried to do the same thing with the season on the line, but there just wasn't enough there. An injured Portis, a new quarterback with a new offense, and a weak defense just didn't leave much room for maneuvering.

Going into this season we're getting Portis back, Campbell and the offense should be better polished, and the defense (at least the secondary and the linebackers) should be better. The concern that I have is with Williams. He pretty much lost control of the defense last year and his whole scheme came unglued. The big variable is weather or not we've done enough to get the defense back on track. Williams defenses seem to either have it or they don't. If they don't have it this year, I don't have much faith in Williams' people skills to be able to dig deeper and find that next level like Gibbs can.

Can't fear anything. Life is too short, and this is only football.

Having said that, I fear that the locker room is lost....and no one cares about winning.

I fear the players hate Williams.....no one wants to play up there, but just wants a paycheck.

Archived