Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Questions for Subaru drivers

rm8899

i'm looking at getting a new ride. I'm getting away from the SUV but still need room for my bass gear so i was looking at getting a 2000-2002 outback. wondering if any one could give me any info about them from a driver/mechanical standpoint. i know their parts are more expensive than the usual, but i've heard they run very well. any pros/cons or experiences with the sub's would be very much appreciated. HTTR

I have not owned one but from everything I've heard (and I worked with some guys who were Subaru techs) they are extremely well built and reliable. I haven't heard of people having major problems with them at all. They're also fairly easy to and sensible to work, unlike certain german brands I'm familiar with :laugh:

Don't have an outback, but I do own a 2003 Impreza. It has 76,000 miles and has never had a single mechanical problem. -Knock on wood-. Subies are built like tanks and are designed to take a beating.

Handling is superb. The boxer engine lowers the center of gravity and the weight of the AWD system gives all subies and real solid feel on the road. The difference in build quality from a civic, lancer, jetta or any other comparable car, is very noticable. Just by shutting the door, you'll hear a nice solid thud.

The steering is a little soft when it's centered and the accelerator is a little punchy at times since it's very responsive. Gas consumption is the killer though. The weight and the power in low end torque uses up gas. I get about 25.5 mpg in the summer and about 23 mpg in the winter in L.A.

If you get a subaru, signing up at http://forums.nasioc.com/ is a lifesaver. You'll get info on everthing and learn how to fix certain things yourself.

I had a 2006 Impreza 2.5RS, it was the best car I have ever owned. I've had 13 cars and that was one of the few that I would seriously recommend to others.

They are built like a tank and are some of the best driving cars for the money. Quick personal story.

In September of 2005 I was coming home with my girlfriend after dinner. They where doing construction on the road and we where at a dead stop. We got hit by a 3/4 ton Chevy Suburban going about 40mph. The driver was completely tanked and just plowed into me. Pushed me underneath a Nissan Frontier. Completely collapsed the trunk and crushed the hood.

That little Subaru took the beating and saved our lives. If you want a fantastic build quality with safety and usability I highly recommend it.

Stay away from the 98'. It's a one year only engine that has the classical Subaru head gasket problem. It'll cost over 3k to fix and it's over 2k for a used motor. The later years they seemed to pull it together, some timing belt problems, but it's as easy to fix as the old 2.2l engines were.

What car did you decide to buy? And when did you come to the realization that you don't make enough money to buy a car that's going to get you laid :)

I think he had a turbo Schwinn while in Hawaii.

Now that he has come stateside, my guess is a beater.

:laugh: Somebody drives an Audi or a VW! :laugh:
What car did you decide to buy? And when did you come to the realization that you don't make enough money to buy a car that's going to get you laid :)

Oh boy an epic battle in the making, Diehard squaring off with Jrock! :laugh::laugh:

You know your my boy Jrock but my money is going on Diehard for this one. :silly:

Oh boy an epic battle in the making, Diehard squaring off with Jrock! :laugh::laugh:

You know your my boy Jrock but my money is going on Diehard for this one. :silly:

Jamie doesnt stand a chance. It wont even get past the 4rd round.

Who wants to wager ?

:laugh:

Why do you continue to misquote me? The topic of that thread was buying vs. leasing. :laugh: DH - just because someone disses your car anonymously, doesn't mean you need to defend it. :)

I'll even save you the legwork, DH: here's the link. :)

Why do you continue to misquote me? The topic of that thread was buying vs. leasing. :laugh: DH - just because someone disses your car anonymously, doesn't mean you need to defend it. :)

I'll even save you the legwork, DH: here's the link. :)

Hey Jaime,

Thanks for the help. I'm sure anyone that read your replies in this thread know the only thing you cared about... was getting an answer about what was the econimical (buying or leasing).

You can stick by that bullcrap.... but it doesn't get more obvious than this dude.

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3462044&postcount=29

A brotha needs all the help he can get!

Its not about attracting the ladies, its about impressing the ladies. A nice car projects your image better, imo. Its about pulling up to pick up a girl you met elsewhere for a first date in a nice car, or a beat up VW Scirocco (my first car). True, a girl that makes a judgement on a man's car is probably materialistic, but I would bet money that the majority of women make some type of assumption about a guy, conciously or not, based on what he drives.

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188849&highlight=car

I said the majority, not all women. My ex happened to be the type who didn't judge by the type of car a man drove (thankfully). A lot of women are, however. And in the dating game, every advantage is a good one!

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3462228&postcount=36

Exactly. Some guys (myself included) gain confidence from driving a nicer car.

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3462369&postcount=38

Well its not about that for me, its more just about self-confidence. That could be just a car that looked nice; it doesn't have to be a tricked out porche or something...

http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3462426&postcount=40

Yeah. When I'm driving a nicer car (say a rental car) I feel like I'm projecting better. I've driven around a ****ty car before; it was a HUGE POS. And I know the kind of looks you get when you drive something like that around.

I'm not talking about driving around a Beamer or a Lexus or something, just something nice.

Again, huge irony is someone making fun of another person who drives a VW.... when he has to ask a bunch of anonymous internet posters what car will help him get laid.... under $10k.

Which again, is ironic, considering you poked a joke recently as the quantity of sex I'm getting..... whilst I've been married for 5 years now (and together for 11) with 1 kid and another on the way..... and you're single asking dudes how to get laid.

Seriously, if you're going to make jokes at somebody's expense.... don't make fun of matters where you're worse of than the person you're joking about. That's just dumb.

Archived