Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Bird lovers, if there are any. Wild baby bird, help it or kill it.

Art

So, I have an Explorer I don't drive much, and sits in my driveway. I noticed a bird family moved into the suspension somewhere and it was clear there was a little baby making going on. I can't be sure, but tonight upon getting home, I see a little baby bird outside on the ground next to the car. Not sure if's abandoned or not.

Leave it alone or try to find the nest and put it back, or just kill it? What do you do?

From my limited experience, that bird is screwed Art. If you handle it (unless you can do it without touching it somehow), the parents will smell you on it and refuse to have anything to do with the chick. If you do nothing, the chick will probably die.

Like a young Carlos Rogers, while you'd like to help, chances are the little guy will either make it on his own, or dwindle away into obscurity.

Either that, or we could trade him to Arizona. I mean, assuming he's a Cardinal :)

The best thing to do probably would be call the local Humane Society. Many times in the wild, the scent of another animal on a baby will cause the parents to kill or abandon the child anyway. However, the Humane Society should be able to tell you what the best course of action would be to do.

The best thing to do probably would be call the local Humane Society. Many times in the wild, the scent of another animal on a baby will cause the parents to kill or abandon the child anyway. However, the Humane Society should be able to tell you what the best course of action would be to do.

They would tell you to bring it in so that they could kill it.

Don't just kill him, Art. Make him talk. He probably has information. Find his family, kill them in front of him. Let him know you mean business. Or you go ahead and be all "by the book", patting yourself on the back for being a "stand-up guy." And then the terrorists win.

Hey TK, can you help Art out?

I've heard from several of our female members, you're almost an expert on 'little peckers'....

Maybe.

I think I still have those blackmail photos of you & yours from OTA's a few years ago.

Huly says to take it to a local vet clinic, they usually have links to wildlife organizations.

Emergency vet clinics turn them over to these wildlife rehab centers who raise then release them.

Have you got a kitten?...........You know, practice and all.........:D
Like a young Carlos Rogers, while you'd like to help, chances are the little guy will either make it on his own, or dwindle away into obscurity.

Either that, or we could trade him to Arizona. I mean, assuming he's a Cardinal :)

Hey TK, can you help Art out?

I've heard from several of our female members, you're almost an expert on 'little peckers'....

:laugh: :notworthy Classic!

You are the man Tarhog. :cheers:

I've seen similar situations pretty frequently where I live. My policy is to leave it alone. Let nature take its course. It could be the bird is just sitting there gathering energy to take off, which often happens as they first learn to fly. If it's not going to make it, I don't take it as my duty to be the instrument just because it happens to be in a place where I can see it-- as opposed to being out in the woods somewhere. If I find a dead one lying on the patio, I kick it into the yard. That's the extent of my interaction.

Archived