Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USA 23, Japan 20 (OT) American Football World Cup Championship (MERGE update)

Switchgear

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=ap-worldcup&prov=ap&type=lgns

U.S. routs South Korea in American football World Cup

By JIM ARMSTRONG, AP Sports Writer

July 10, 2007

KAWASAKI, Japan (AP) -- Bobby Awrey scored an 85-yard opening kickoff return Tuesday, leading the United States to a 77-0 rout over South Korea in the American football World Cup.

The U.S. scored 28 points in the first quarter in its first game of the six-nation tournament in Japan.

"There was a lot of adrenaline flowing at the start of the game," Awrey said. "A couple of guys made some great blocks and I was able to take it all the way down the field. It was exciting to start the game that way."

Awrey, a running back for Saginaw Valley State, added a 75-yard punt return in the second quarter to give the U.S. a 42-0 lead.

The United States will play Germany on Thursday in its final round-robin game. The top team in each group will advance to Sunday's championship game.

<click link for the rest of the article>

Is this even going to be fair?

Here's a question for you all...Is this going to be like basketball where other countries slowly get better, or do we think that American Football will never quite catch on, so we'll dominate every year? I tend to lean toward the latter. Then again, I really don't know how popular our brand of football is outside the country.

This is pretty embarassing.... sounds like the perfect coaching gig for Coach Run Em Up Spurrier though.

http://wc2007.info/cgi-bin/news_e.cgi?32

Finally, Team USA is on the show as they play their first ever game against Team Korea. Right off the bat, team USA showed their explosive talent with WR Awrey returning Team Korea?fs kickoff for a touchdown.

On the defensive side Team USA totally dominates on the scrimmage allowing no first downs with -31yds total yards.

Team USA scored 5 TD on Offense, 2TD on Defense, and 4TD on special teams adding the total point to 77.

Team USA will play against team Germany for the championship game on Thursday.

Team Korea will play against Team France on Saturday for the 5th Place game.

Fair? Japan won the last 2!

its our first time in it

The U.S. team, making its debut in the tournament, is comprised of players from Division I, II and III colleges. The U.S. scored most of its points off defensive gaffes by the South Koreans.

You'd be surprised by how many places have an American football league. And I have a fellow I game with from Australia who plays rugby, and he mentioned that they sometimes play American football games just for fun. So it does appear to be spreading, slowly but surely.

I think the game appeals more so to folks who can enjoy a methodical game such as American football, which is probably why it is most popular in Germany (compared to the rest of Europe).

What the hell, I can't find video anywhere. Is it the 70's again or something? Pictures are all that are out there so far. Enjoy...

The opening kickoff return touchdown:

bild0128.jpg

de-FENSE!

bild0129.jpg

are they still in college, Im sure they played college ball but I thought they couldnt play in pro leagues and be in the NCAA?

From what I understand the team is composed entirely of guys that have finished their college eligibility but weren't going to catch on in the NFL, CFL or even possibly the Arena leagues.

You'd be surprised by how many places have an American football league. And I have a fellow I game with from Australia who plays rugby, and he mentioned that they sometimes play American football games just for fun. So it does appear to be spreading, slowly but surely.

:laugh: That reminds me of the time we tried to play American football with all the Brits, Kiwis and Aussies on the men's club my college team practiced with - it was hilarious. Looked like a bunch of chickens with their heads cut off. :laugh:

Archived