Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wade Phillips... Cowboys question

bedlamVR

Somebody brought up in another thread something that has been bothering me all offseason .

Why do people think that it will be a simple transitionto Wade Phillips 3-4 scheme from Bill Parcells 3-4 scheme?

Parcells has had 4 years to build and mold that team into his image Phillips seems to be cut from a totally different cloth . Parcells was very much a bend but don't break defensive guy..he was accused of micromanaging but his guys when they bought into the system looked stellar.

Phillips has taken the peices Parcells assembled and hopes to super impose his philiopsophy over the top . As far as I can see Phillips has just one change in the starting line up on defence . Also Ware is a tallent but is he at Merriman level ?

Phillips is a fantastic defensive co-ordiantor but in Dallas he will not be a DC but a HC, there is no one else on the Dallas staff with the experience at the top level.

It just seems that there is a lot more stacked against Phillips than his man managment style.

91ca9428.jpg

:cheers: the same reason :puke: fans think Ellis(injured wk10) will bounce back in less than a year and P.P.(injured wk1) won't.

The same reason why Romo sits to pee is really the Qb that played good at the start but the games down the stretch were he looked very GROSS-MAN-ESQUE isn't the real Romo sits to pee.

The same reason they belive Hamlin is going to be the answer at FS that they've been missing since Darren Woodson retired.

The same reason they belive Leonard Davis is going to get the O-line back to its playoff/superbowl level of play which was over a decade ago :rolleyes:

The same reason they belive Witten is a better TE than Cooley.

The same reason analyst pick them to be a playoff/superbowl contender year in and year out but they can't even manage 1 playoff win for more than a decade now.

The Homer glasses, we all wear them for our teams but Dallas fans seem to be the only ones that never take them off, even if its been 10yrs or more since they've proven to NOT be overrated.

Actually, most puke fans are worried because of all the changes...

It's just puke fans who post on ES that think all this change is good.

Yeah, i haven't heard much from the Dallas fans at work yet but I'm sure that will change as soon as Romo sits to pee completes his 1st preseason pass :laugh:

When BP retired they did try and downplay the FACT that the coaches were changing and the philosophy on offense and defense was changing w/ it.

We know what its like to change philosophies, especially on offense. It will be harder to transition sooner rather than later. Well I guess I can't say that about Dallas b/c they like to STRUGGLE LATER in the season rather than EARLIER. ;)

I can see the defense being in the middle of the pack in the Nfc and the offense struggling more early on b/c of all the tape teams have in Romo sits to pee's games now and how teams gameplanned to shut em down and force him to be a qb from THE POCKET were he looked much like Ramsey(happy feet and NO POISE in 3rd in long situations) looked in Spurriers great offensive protection based system :rolleyes:

But yeah Leonard Davis will be BETTER than Larry Allen, of course and Hamlin is the best safety they've had since Darren Woodson so all the secondary struggles will be fixed b/c Hamlin is a top safety that has proven to be a GREAT FS(even though he is a true SS) and Williams will love playing next to another safety that can't cover a bed w/ a blanket.

Thats just my :2cents:

:doh:

Somebody brought up in another thread something that has been bothering me all offseason .

Why do people think that it will be a simple transitionto Wade Phillips 3-4 scheme from Bill Parcells 3-4 scheme?

Parcells has had 4 years to build and mold that team into his image Phillips seems to be cut from a totally different cloth . Parcells was very much a bend but don't break defensive guy..he was accused of micromanaging but his guys when they bought into the system looked stellar.

Phillips has taken the peices Parcells assembled and hopes to super impose his philiopsophy over the top . As far as I can see Phillips has just one change in the starting line up on defence . Also Ware is a tallent but is he at Merriman level ?

Phillips is a fantastic defensive co-ordiantor but in Dallas he will not be a DC but a HC, there is no one else on the Dallas staff with the experience at the top level.

It just seems that there is a lot more stacked against Phillips than his man managment style.

Parcells big thing was to maintain your gap. Don't overpenetrate, just hold your ground. Phillips 3-4 is all about pressure. The hell with your gap, get upfield and wreak havoc. Its worked everywhere he's been. Its all about pressure really.

As far as Phillips not being the D coordinator, but being the head coach, well, in name yes, but he's there to fix the defense and make it dominant. He said so during his press conference.

I realize that this answer isn't as simple as bubba's "sunglass" response. But It certainly makes more sense .

Yeah, i haven't heard much from the Dallas fans at work yet but I'm sure that will change as soon as Romo sits to pee completes his 1st preseason pass :laugh:

Dfos81 you are consistently one of the worst posters on ES. You write like a small child. What exactly does this mean? Dallas fans will get excited when Romo sits to pee completes his first pre-season pass? I don't follow?

When BP retired they did try and downplay the FACT that the coaches were changing and the philosophy on offense and defense was changing w/ it.

Does change for the BETTER even enter your brain. We weren't so hot with BP down the stretch ever. Why do you act as if we WANT what he had previously.

We know what its like to change philosophies, especially on offense. It will be harder to transition sooner rather than later.

Why do you relate everything to your pitiful team. Every team is different. Every situation is different.

Well I guess I can't say that about Dallas b/c they like to STRUGGLE LATER in the season rather than EARLIER. ;)

Yes, our BP led squads struggled every year he was hear down the stretch. You guys attribute strong finishes in December to Gibbs. Why not attribute our slow finishes to Parcells? Can't have your cake and eat it too.

I can see the defense being in the middle of the pack in the Nfc and the offense struggling more early on b/c of all the tape teams have in Romo sits to pee's games now and how teams gameplanned to shut em down and force him to be a qb from THE POCKET were he looked much like Ramsey(happy feet and NO POISE in 3rd in long situations) looked in Spurriers great offensive protection based system :rolleyes:

So now you're comparing Romo sits to pee to Patrick Ramsey. :doh:

But yeah Leonard Davis will be BETTER than Larry Allen, of course and Hamlin is the best safety they've had since Darren Woodson so all the secondary struggles will be fixed b/c Hamlin is a top safety that has proven to be a GREAT FS(even though he is a true SS) and Williams will love playing next to another safety that can't cover a bed w/ a blanket.

This is textbook skins fans ranting right here. O.K., so what does this all mean. How many games do you think we will win as a result of how pathetic you think we are? Will you sweep us? Do you think your team will win more games. Will Dallas make the playoffs? Will we win 2 games? What does your analysis boil down to?

A big reason for me to think that is that almost all of the teams Wade Phillips has taken over as DC have had immediate improvement defensively.

Parcells only ran the 3-4 for 2 seasons in Dallas. They started drafting/picking up players for the 3-4 in the 2005 offseason.

As far as Ware goes, we'll see what talent level he is this season when he's used in Wade's scheme. Personally, I think he's incredibly talented and will really make some waves this season... he's easily the best player on our team.

Wade Phillips is the HC but I think he's said that he'll focus primarily on the defense and let the offensive coaches do their thing. Also, Brian Stewart is our DC and he's been working under Wade Phillips for the past 3 years in San Diego... so he knows Wade's system well.

The difference between Phillips 3-4 style and Parcells' 3-4 style is like night and day. They might be 2 defenses of the same "formation" but they are hardly alike at all. That said, its MUCH harder for players to learn to play effectively in the Parcells' style of defense. The Phillips style of 3-4 is more similar to the 4-3 style of play for the defensive line and the players normally (based on Wade Phillips coaching history) pick it up very fast.

As a Cowboy fan, I'm optimistic simply because I know I don't have to watch Parcells' vanilla style of play for another season. This new coaching staff brings a much more aggressive and innovative style of play with them. Which is obviously very exciting for us Cowboy fans.

We know what its like to change philosophies, especially on offense. It will be harder to transition sooner rather than later. Well I guess I can't say that about Dallas b/c they like to STRUGGLE LATER in the season rather than EARLIER. ;)

Romo sits to pee had the highest 3rd and long conversion percentage in the leage last season. :rolleyes:

Romo sits to pee had the highest 3rd and long conversion percentage in the leage last season. :rolleyes:

...and you forgot, during his 10 game season, where he played some of the worst pass defenses in the league, he had a 97.1 rating!

:excited:

A big reason for me to think that is that almost all of the teams Wade Phillips has taken over as DC have had immediate improvement defensively.

Parcells only ran the 3-4 for 2 seasons in Dallas. They started drafting/picking up players for the 3-4 in the 2005 offseason.

As far as Ware goes, we'll see what talent level he is this season when he's used in Wade's scheme. Personally, I think he's incredibly talented and will really make some waves this season... he's easily the best player on our team.

Wade Phillips is the HC but I think he's said that he'll focus primarily on the defense and let the offensive coaches do their thing. Also, Brian Stewart is our DC and he's been working under Wade Phillips for the past 3 years in San Diego... so he knows Wade's system well.

The difference between Phillips 3-4 style and Parcells' 3-4 style is like night and day. They might be 2 defenses of the same "formation" but they are hardly alike at all. That said, its MUCH harder for players to learn to play effectively in the Parcells' style of defense. The Phillips style of 3-4 is more similar to the 4-3 style of play for the defensive line and the players normally (based on Wade Phillips coaching history) pick it up very fast.

As a Cowboy fan, I'm optimistic simply because I know I don't have to watch Parcells' vanilla style of play for another season. This new coaching staff brings a much more aggressive and innovative style of play with them. Which is obviously very exciting for us Cowboy fans.

Have you ever considered that Bill Parcells was such a great motivator that he may have gotten above-average play from average players?

Sorry, but BP probably left the pukes because he knew he didn't have enough talent to do much.

But, hey, if you want to believe Wade is a god, don't let me rain on your parade.

:laugh:

Dfos81 you are consistently one of the worst posters on ES. You write like a small child.

...and where exactly do you rate yourself, THA?

Ease up on criticizing the poster...focus on the post.

Geez... no wonder you're having trouble understanding people's responses.

WTF kind of sentence is that?

I suppose the puke fans' anger is actually their anxiety about the upcoming season manifesting itself in this type of pitiful responses.

With all of the hype, with all of the cheese, with all of the expectations, there is going to be a mighty crash when the pukes fail this season. It'll soon be obvious that last year was a 'charmed' year for the pukes...

Can I suggest counseling?

Regarding the original post, it's not like the switch is from a power running ofense to a west coast offense. We're talking similiar defensive alignments with, albeit different, responsibilities at times. Wade Phillips has sucked as a HC, but he has proven his worth as a DC, so I'd expect that side of the ball to be decent for the Cowboys. I'm hoping they aren't, but they do have a lot of talent there. Defensive system changes are not nearly as difficult to implement as offensive systems.

What is going to be more interesting is the offense. Will Romo sits to pee pick it up and improve upon last year? Are there enough throws to keep TO/Glenn/Witten happy? How is the OL going to gel? I believe that will determine the "health" of the Cowboys season.

PF

Dfos81 you are consistently one of the worst posters on ES. You write like a small child.

enough with the personal insults, this is at least the 2nd time you've insulted someone in the past couple days...... go back and read the board rules

BTW resorting to insults to a post you don't like doesn't make someone look very mature themselves, and kind of the "pot kettle black" thingy

Geez... no wonder you're having trouble understanding people's responses.

WTF kind of sentence is that?

First, "WTF", is a stupid resonse and perhaps you should keep these kinds of answers to yourself.

Second, I thought it was funny and the creativity meter went into the eight range.

Third, remember where you are posting.

Have you ever considered that Bill Parcells was such a great motivator that he may have gotten above-average play from average players?

Sorry, but BP probably left the pukes because he knew he didn't have enough talent to do much.

But, hey, if you want to believe Wade is a god, don't let me rain on your parade.

Just the type of response I expected from you.

I wanted to keep this to the defence because that is the closest comparison of Bill Parcells and Phillips expertese as defence orientated coaches. However as a head coach Bill Parcells has shown he has by far the greatest expertese when dealing with players. He shouts at them, belittles them, humiliates them but by god he gets the most out of them.

But also changing scheme is not just a matter of X,O's. You have to have the people with the tallent to match the philosophy of the scheme. Changing a defence can be as complicated and disruptive as an offence . Even if it is the same base set .

Archived