Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Observers (Free-thinking)

Arsenic

Something i wrote as a myspace blog. www.myspace.com/jpickeral

Figured I'de throw it out here to stir up a little dust. Not necessarily something I believe entirely, just a thought.

The Observers

Have you ever noticed how everything involving our planet and our mere existence is set, so perfectly, into place? It's almost like the greatest jig-saw puzzle ever created. If you completely removed any single piece of the puzzle, our environment would fall apart. Humans seem to put themselves above every other species, failing to realize how vital every tiny piece of lifes puzzle is, except ourselves. Infact, some could admit that removing humans from this marvelous ecosystem would likely lead to improvement. I've stumbled across a theory, recently, regarding the duty of humans and a possible reason for our existence on this planet.

If it is assumed that everything is too perfectly placed to be a complete coicidence, then perhaps what that actually means is that there must be a "creator". We've all created many things in our lifetimes. Paintings, songs, gardens, contraptions and devices or maybe simply a tower of stacked objects are among the endless list of human creations. How fulfilling is a creation, though, if no one is there to observe it?

Upon the completion of any creation, especially a great one, the first thing we do is run to another conscious creature and say "look at what I've created". We are so proud of our accomplishments that we must find someone to observe and admire what we have done. This galaxy, this planet and this ecosystem are all part of the most complex creation ever. Every single piece of nature has a certain endeavor which is never even questioned by the creature fulfilling its task. For instance, a bumble-bee isn't physically able to fully understand the importance of its duties. All that the bee knows is that it's feeding on nectar & pollen in order to provide food for its larvae. There is only one single "conscious" creation that is able to question and understand the importance of everything in its entirety: human beings.

Its logical to assume that everything must play an important role in order to exist. Our position as humans may not be vital to the continuation of everything but perhaps our part is more related to the fulfillment of our creator. What good is an achievement this spectacular with no witness? Perhaps our role here is simple. We are here to observe, admire and appreciate what "something" has created.

Joshua Lee Pickeral

Just another consideration. The truth may never be known but it doesn't hurt to atleast consider the possibilities.

Nice essay. I think much like the bees, we don't realize our impact and what our role is. We overestimate our importance in some ways and underestimate in others. Because I am a human, I think our role must be one of great importance. It could be that I am secondary to the ultimate master race tough... goldfish or roaches. I do think you're right about the mosaic or puzzle. The world, the universe is an amazing series of interlocking pieces. It's something we often overlook.

The fact of the matter is that multiple species have been driven to extinction by the actions man, and we are still here (see the dodo bird). Clearly, there is some breaking point where things fail if enough species go extinct, and different species have different levels of importance, but when your third sentence ("If you completely removed any single piece of the puzzle, our environment would fall apart.") is false, it is difficult to take anything else you say seriously.

I agree and disagree, Peter. It could be imagined that the role of the extinct animal either expired, that it fulfilled its mission, or worse, that the entire puzzle has been damaged or diminished and we just don't feel or recognize it. Or perhaps, that piece of the puzzle with replaced by something that fit in just as well.

I just don't think we know. It's like the global warmng question. I don't know to what degree we are damaging the Earth or killing ourselves, but I figure cutting pollution and acting more responsibly probably can't hurt and is the better course of action in any case. So, it's better to plan for a worst case scenario versus planning for the best case scenario.

I agree and disagree, Peter. It could be imagined that the role of the extinct animal either expired, that it fulfilled its mission, or worse, that the entire puzzle has been damaged or diminished and we just don't feel or recognize it. Or perhaps, that piece of the puzzle with replaced by something that fit in just as well.

All of that is possible, but that all also draws away from his idea of a "perfect" puzzle. In addition, I'd challenge anybody to come up w/ a reason for some deseases (e.g. HIV). If the objective of creation was to create a perfect system.

I just don't think we know. It's like the global warmng question. I don't know to what degree we are damaging the Earth or killing ourselves, but I figure cutting pollution and acting more responsibly probably can't hurt and is the better course of action in any case. So, it's better to plan for a worst case scenario versus planning for the best case scenario.

First, I don't know anybody that thinks it is likely that global warming is going to cause extinction of the human race. Second, this is different situation that may have have world wide impact. His whole premise is everything is perfect. From a human perspective, I can think of several things that can and have been removed that have benefited us and not hurt us (think of all the things you are vaccinated against).

I can think of several things that can and have been removed that have benefited us and not hurt us (think of all the things you are vaccinated against).

Unless, we are the virus and the world keeps trying to eliminate us so all of the puzzle pieces will start fitting together better. What if we are the ill fitting piece and by trying to make everything fit into our whim we are wrecking the symetry, balance, and inter-relative perfection?

I don't think this is the case, but it might explain Carrot-top, Rosie, and Rumsfield :D

Unless, we are the virus and the world keeps trying to eliminate us so all of the puzzle pieces will start fitting together better. What if we are the ill fitting piece and by trying to make everything fit into our whim we are wrecking the symetry, balance, and inter-relative perfection?

I don't think this is the case, but it might explain Carrot-top, Rosie, and Rumsfield :D

Well that is certainly an interesting perspective, but I doubt it is one that the author would agree w/.

Just so you know, "free-thinking" is a term that has been appropriated by atheists/agnostics/skeptics, which your piece definitely is not, so there may be a few very disappointed "Brights" (another recent one) wandering in here... :)

All of that is possible, but that all also draws away from his idea of a "perfect" puzzle. In addition, I'd challenge anybody to come up w/ a reason for some deseases (e.g. HIV). If the objective of creation was to create a perfect system.

I can think of several things that can and have been removed that have benefited us and not hurt us (think of all the things you are vaccinated against).

Maybe diseases are made to control human population. While it seems like they have hurt us, it is possible they have protected us from ourselves. i.e. we haven't run out of resources and gone extinct.

• 2 weeks later...
Just so you know, "free-thinking" is a term that has been appropriated by atheists/agnostics/skeptics, which your piece definitely is not, so there may be a few very disappointed "Brights" (another recent one) wandering in here... :)

agnostic:

1. a person who holds that the existence of the ultimate cause, as God, and the essential nature of things are unknown and unknowable, or that human knowledge is limited to experience.

2. a person who denies or doubts the possibility of ultimate knowledge in some area of study.

This holds well with my view. I'm not claiming to know or understand anything. Im simply throw out a consideration.

Great reply's, btw.

agnostic:

1. a person who holds that the existence of the ultimate cause, as God, and the essential nature of things are unknown and unknowable, or that human knowledge is limited to experience.

2. a person who denies or doubts the possibility of ultimate knowledge in some area of study.

This holds well with my view. I'm not claiming to know or understand anything. Im simply throw out a consideration.

Great reply's, btw.

Fair enough, but the line about "everything being too perfectly placed to be a total coiincidence" is a fairly standard statement of the anthropic argument for the existence of God. That's the part that stuck out to me, and would seem to make your argument more Deist at the very least.

I see what you're saying about the agnosticism in your piece as well, though, and it actually occured to me after I wrote that. Of course, immediately thereafter the thread died, and so I forgot all about it.

Have you ever noticed how everything involving our planet and our mere existence is set, so perfectly, into place? It's almost like the greatest jig-saw puzzle ever created.

At this moment in time, the Earth is very well suited to our needs. We know there have been catastrophic natural events in the past, and one way or another humans won't be living on this planet in a billion years (thanks to the Sun), perhaps much less. That's a very long time for us in human history, but not so significant in the life of the Universe.

If you completely removed any single piece of the puzzle, our environment would fall apart.

Absolutely not. It's estimated that 99.9% of species that ever existed on Earth have become extinct. Great empires and entire civilizations disappear without trace and the Earth and its ecosystem adapted and keeps going just fine.

Humans seem to put themselves above every other species, failing to realize how vital every tiny piece of lifes puzzle is, except ourselves. Infact, some could admit that removing humans from this marvelous ecosystem would likely lead to improvement.

I don't buy the puzzle analogy, at least not one with a fixed number of pieces. The number of pieces changes all the time as does the picture.

The Earth would very temporarily be a little different if humans disappeared, but it would be hard to notice in a few decades that we'd ever even been here.

Its logical to assume that everything must play an important role in order to exist. Our position as humans may not be vital to the continuation of everything but perhaps our part is more related to the fulfillment of our creator. What good is an achievement this spectacular with no witness? Perhaps our role here is simple. We are here to observe, admire and appreciate what "something" has created.

It's not logical to assume that at all. Species die out and others evolve to take advantage of changing environment.

If there is a creator smart enough to build our Universe who wanted to show off his handywork, I'm not sure we'd meet the standard of peers. :laugh: If I paint a picture I'm proud of, I'm not going to show it off to a ****roach.

Just another consideration. The truth may never be known but it doesn't hurt to atleast consider the possibilities.

It would be interesting if homo sapiens on planet Earth are that important in the grand scheme of things, but at the moment my inclination is that our entire history, accomplishments and knowledge is as significant to the universe as a whole as a single grain of sand on a beach.

But it's all we got. It's our grain of sand. :)

:cheers:

• 1 year later...

Archived