Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

AP: Tank Johnson Under Legal Limit

jimster

Tank Johnson Under Legal Limit in DUI Arrest

http://sports.iwon.com/news/07022007/v1137.html

Jul 2, 6:06 PM (ET) Email this Story

GILBERT, Ariz. (AP) -Tank Johnson's blood alcohol level was below the legal limit when the former Chicago Bears tackle was arrested on suspicion of drunken driving June 22.

Johnson's blood alcohol level was .072, under the presumptive limit in Arizona of .08 percent, police Sgt. Andrew Duncan said Monday. No charges have been filed pending results of a completed investigation.

Johnson, whose legal name is Terry Darnell Johnson, was arrested when officers pulled him over at 3:30 a.m. for driving 40 mph in a 25 mph zone. Duncan said an officer placed him under arrest because he believed Johnson was under the influence of alcohol. He was released without being booked or charged after providing a blood sample, and police said he was very cooperative.

A message left with Johnson's agent, Bill Heck, was not immediately returned.

The 25-year-old player was released by the Bears three days after his arrest. The team said it was "upset and embarrassed" by the defensive tackle's legal troubles.

Johnson already had been suspended for the first eight games of the 2007 season for violating probation on a gun charge. He spent two months in jail and was released in May.

Last December, police raided the 300-pound Johnson's suburban Chicago home and found six unregistered firearms - a violation of his probation on an earlier gun charge.

Two days after the December raid, Willie B. Posey, Johnson's bodyguard, was shot and killed in an early morning fight while he and Johnson were at a Chicago nightclub.

Johnson was suspended by the Bears for one game for being at the club. He played in the Super Bowl as the Bears lost to Indianapolis.

In March, Johnson began his two-month jail stint. In May, he pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor weapons charge from the December raid as part of a deal with prosecutors that kept him from serving more time in jail.

Johnson was chosen by the Bears in the second round of the 2004 draft out of Washington. He played in 46 games, starting 15.

Damn Bears look dumb.

Andy, holla @ Tank!

Do you really think he knew that he was "only" at .072 when he got behind the wheel? I'm sorry but this is a guy who was already suspended by the NFL and on probation. He should have been taking absolutely no chances. He had no idea what his blood alcohol was but decided he would roll the dice. I'm sorry but I have no sympathy for this guy. He clearly didn't learn his lesson from A) his time in jail B) his recent gun conviction not related to his jail time C) His recent 8 game suspension from the NFL.

Do you really think he knew that he was "only" at .072 when he got behind the wheel? I'm sorry but this is a guy who was already suspended by the NFL and on probation. He should have been taking absolutely no chances. He had no idea what his blood alcohol was but decided he would roll the dice. I'm sorry but I have no sympathy for this guy. He clearly didn't learn his lesson from A) his time in jail B) his recent gun conviction not related to his jail time C) His recent 8 game suspension from the NFL.

:applause: 100% ditto!

The legal limit is .08 and he was only .072. Alright, but given how huge he is, that still implies that he drank a lot of alcohol to even reach the .072. Dumb, absolutely dumb to get behind the wheel of a car. I could care less about the NFL or team-related ramifications. This was just poor judgment, period. And the Bears were right to cut him loose. So what if he wasn't legally drunk. He still got behind the wheel of his vehicle after consuming several drinks. Damn idiot!

And i hate to bring this up, but 40 in a 25 is nothing. During the day you wouldn't be stopped most of the time. But at 3-something in the morning........in a late model truck. The cop(s) probably thought he'd (they'd) hit the jackpot - drug dealer or something.

i agree with skinsplay 40 on a 25 isnt as bad as they make it seem and this is an example of your innocent untill proven guilty.

Are you joking? 25 is winding roads and a residential area. This isn't going 80 in a 65; this is going 63% over the speed limit. Did you know that if he were going 10MPH faster, then it would be a felony? At .072 he's still slowed down on judgement and risking the lives of himself and whoever is walking in a RESIDENTIAL area.

Please don't drive anywhere near my house if that's the attitude that you have.

here in williamsburg, let me tell you that 25 isn't winding roads and residential areas. I'm certainly not advocating speeding in a 25 zone. Definitely not. I'm just saying that officers can exercise discretion in these circumstances.

Are you joking? 25 is winding roads and a residential area. This isn't going 80 in a 65; this is going 63% over the speed limit. Did you know that if he were going 10MPH faster, then it would be a felony? At .072 he's still slowed down on judgement and risking the lives of himself and whoever is walking in a RESIDENTIAL area.

Please don't drive anywhere near my house if that's the attitude that you have.

How many people you know that go out walking at 3:30 in the morning? ;)

And yeah, my cruising speed in neighborhoods is usually at LEAST 35 mph unless i'm turning a corner or i see people up ahead in the street or on the side that might step out into my path.

How many people you know that go out walking at 3:30 in the morning? ;)

And yeah, my cruising speed in neighborhoods is usually at LEAST 35 mph unless i'm turning a corner or i see people up ahead in the street or on the side that might step out into my path.

Wow, sounds like a guy who just got his license. You can kill someone very easily with a car. Kids dart out, teenagers, like yourself, are being absolutely stupid and driving way too fast in neighborhoods. Drive for a minute or two longer, watch one or two more stories about speed killing people in residential areas, and get to college before you try to set an example, a horrible one at that.

NewCliche are you really 23?

That's funny. When I read NewCliche's response my first reaction was to look at his age, then I scrolled down and saw that you must have done the same thing.

Not to say that NewCliche was wrong in any way, but that was certainly a sentiment I expected to read from an older citizen.

That's funny. When I read NewCliche's response my first reaction was to look at his age, then I scrolled down and saw that you must have done the same thing.

Not to say that NewCliche was wrong in any way, but that was certainly a sentiment I expected to read from an older citizen.

Not that I think this thread should go any further off track than it has, but I'm about 20 and agree with NewCliche's attitude completely. Going anywhere over 35 in a residential area is completely unnecessary and probably one of the dumbest (sober) things you can do with a car. I usually push 10-15 over the speed limit as soon as I'm a 45 mph area or anything faster, but 25 mph in a residential area with kids, pets, people backing out suddenly, etc.? Why? What's the need?

When I used to go running in my neighborhood back in NoVa, where I didn't have sidewalks, the biggest jerks were the ones who went speeding by me way over the speed limit, I felt like a living version of Frogger.

Not that I think this thread should go any further off track than it has, but I'm about 20 and agree with NewCliche's attitude completely. Going anywhere over 35 in a residential area is completely unnecessary and probably one of the dumbest (sober) things you can do with a car. I usually push 10-15 over the speed limit as soon as I'm a 45 mph area or anything faster, but 25 mph in a residential area with kids, pets, people backing out suddenly, etc.? Why? What's the need?

When I used to go running in my neighborhood back in NoVa, where I didn't have sidewalks, the biggest jerks were the ones who went speeding by me way over the speed limit, I felt like a living version of Frogger.

I know its wrong and i know its dangourous im just saying there making it seem like he was going 80 on a 25, he went 40 and wasnt drunk everybody rushed to conclusions before finding out the facts.

Haha, sure didn't learn that from that FANTASTIC Howard County education, did ya? :cheers:

I know its wrong and i know its dangourous im just saying there making it seem like he was going 80 on a 25, he went 40 and wasnt drunk everybody rushed to conclusions before finding out the facts.

He was barely under the limit and going 63% faster than a RESIDENTIAL speed limit at night. If you're defending him, then you know your traffic court judge's name, birthday, and blood type.

It's extremely easy for me to go 40 mph in a 25 mph zone...unless your car is missing its shocks, most of the time you won't even know you're going 40 until you look down at your speedometer. And if there's absolutely nobody else on the road, it's even easier.

I pretty much think that most cops seeing a car out at that time of the night/morning, will wonder if they should pull it over...no matter what speed it's doing, especially if a black man's behind the wheel. Not to bring race into the discussion, but trust me, I've been pulled over numerous times in just that scenario, and I was not speeding, or drinking, or anything...so yeah, I wonder what the hell I did to have a cop decide I needed to be checked out. One cop told me that I looked like someone who they were looking for, another time a cop told me I didn't use my turn signal when turning into my apartment complex. If they already have it in their mind that they think pulling you over and checking you out is a good idea, the cops will use anything they want to do so. Tank gave them a reason to do so, even if it wasn't THAT big of a reason.

That being said, Tank is a dumb mf for driving after KNOWING he had been drinking. He just got lucky that his blood alcohol level just barely snuck in under the legal limit. He has way too much on the line to be taking that chance. Idiot.

He was barely under the limit and going 63% faster than a RESIDENTIAL speed limit at night. If you're defending him, then you know your traffic court judge's name, birthday, and blood type.

Whats with the 63%? barely under or barely over is still over or under your either over or under not barely. He was under the alchohol level and over the speed limit thats it end of story.

Whats with the 63%? barely under or barely over is still over or under your either over or under not barely. He was under the alchohol level and over the speed limit thats it end of story.

It's actually not the end of the story. Under Arizona law he can still be charged with being impaired even though he was slightly under .08. This isn't a case of a guy being wrongfully charged with a crime and then they find out he has an airtight alibi and couldn't have done it. This is a case where he wasn't sure he was legal or not and decided he didn't care. Not only that he made a conscious decision to risk it before he even had his first drink because he knew he was going to drink and then drive himself home.

Archived