Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: McCardell rejects Skins contract proposal

morpheusmeyers

That's a bummer. I think McCardell would have been our best option for the #2 WR position. He is lightyears better than that POS Brandon Lloyd. And ARE is a slot reciever. We need a #2. Lloyd can't do it. McCardell could have.

Maybe he will reconsider.

yeah, who wants a 25 year old very athletic #2 option when we can have a 37 year old guy who got cut cause he didnt produce and is most definitely slower? i know i would!

and was it just brandon lloyd who sucked last year? or did moss and ARE suck too? because from what i can tell, every single player on our team with the letters WR for their position had a very poor season. moss was actually MORE disappointing than lloyd.

The idea of having McCardell with this team is romantic, but I don't think he'll be effecrtive if we sign him. It has taken our other WR's 1 whole season and an entire offseason to grasp the playbook. McCardell never played for Saunders thus it should be expected that it'll take him the same amount of time to understand the plays.

I can't see where that immediately upgrades the team. I'd rather see espy or some player we've had learning the system for a year get the shot.

I have faith that Brandon Lloyd will step up. Cause if he doesn't, his career is done. And I think he knows that. No receiver resigns himself to being a number 2 receiver. They all want to be the go-to guy and I think Lloyd has made changes in his game to try and become equivalent to Moss, but instead of being a speed guy, hes going to try and become a possession guy. He can make the amazing catch, but he has been criticized for not giving full effort on the easy catches. If he can correct his attitude, it seems like his work ethic has been corrected, and his chemistry with not only Jason, but also the rest of the team, he can be a good receiver for this squad.

Great post! I've thought the same things, he's not a bad reciever, it was just a bad situation that the entire team went through. Have him put a couple of solid games together with a spectacular catch or 2 and alot of the whining about him will stop. I personally believe in his ability so hopefully he proves me right this season. :logo:

yeah, who wants a 25 year old very athletic #2 option who (1) disappears in games, (2) can't get separation, (3) is known for nothing other than making circus catches 3 times a season, (4) who didn't finish in the top 100 WRs in the NFL last season, (5) who has only had 2 100 yard recieving games in a 5 year career despite starting, and (6) and has a massive attitude problem.

There, I fixed that for you. And the answer is "not me" and "not the team" last year, apparently, since he got benched.

Are you just defending him because you are embarrassed by your handle you chose after he came here?

There, I fixed that for you. And the answer is "not me" and "not the team" last year, apparently, since he got benched.

Are you just defending him because you are embarrassed by your handle you chose after he came here?

my username has nothing to do with lloyd, its more associated with Lloyd Christmas, who i hope you are familiar with.

and every one of our receivers disappeared in games, because all of them had bad years. moss finished with some of the worst numbers for a #1 receivers, so its no shock that our #2 was just as bad. he just bulked up so the whole "he cant get separation" will be fixed, and i vividly remember plays last year where he was wide open and nobody hit him, especially brunell who wouldnt throw to anyone other than moss or betts. lloyd put up 700+ yards in 05 on a HORRID offense, then he comes to the skins where nobody puts up anything and everyone thinks the guy sucks. then he throws his helmet and everyone flips out. hes only played 4 seasons, and managed 5 and 6 touchdowns in his 2nd and 3rd years, hardly bad by my judgment.

the guy is talented, hes young, and he just showed everyone that he cares enough to go bulk up to improve himself, and youd rather have a 37 year old guy. hillarious.

maybe they are trying to do to the WR what they did to the RB last year..... some people thought we needed TJ Duckett and some people thought we didnt. In the end we didnt but it sure as hell lite a fire under Bett's ass to produce.

Its probly just for Motivation/ insurance the only difference is it wont cost us draft picks.

Keenan McCardell rejected the Redskins initial contract offer of the veterans minimum. He had a similar offer from the Houston Texans. Here's the article from Thursday's WP...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/20/AR2007062002006.html

Redskins Are Interested In Free Agent McCardell

Thursday, June 21, 2007; Page E02

The Washington Redskins have exchanged contract proposals with free agent wide receiver Keenan McCardell, according to sources with knowledge of the situation, with the player rejecting their initial veteran minimum proposal.

McCardell, 37, was released by San Diego and also has a veteran minimum offer from Houston, where he lives. Should the Redskins fail to add a signing bonus or additional salary to their offer, McCardell, who mulled retirement earlier this year, likely would take the Texans' offer. With training camp five weeks away, there is no pressure on either side to strike a quick deal, although sources said the Redskins do have considerable interest in taking a chance on him despite investing a large chunk of their salary cap at the wide receiver position in recent years.McCardell had just 36 catches and started 11 games for the Chargers in 2006, but in 2005 his output dwarfed anything the Redskins' current No. 2 and 3 wide receivers -- Brandon Lloyd and Antwaan Randle El-- have ever produced. McCardell caught 70 passes for 917 yards and scored nine touchdowns in 2005. McCardell has ties to several people in the organization -- he played with quarterback Mark Brunell and defensive tackle Renaldo Wynn in Jacksonville -- and is familiar with some of the coaches here after being selected in the 12th round by Washington in 1991 (he never played for the Redskins).

Snyder: "Oh phooey! Back to the drawing board. Vinny, get me the latest free agent wire...and some coffee, dammit!!"

i think the texans are going to surprise a lot of people this year.

New RB, new QB... and a lack of quality WR's.... a mediocre o-line and a lack of TE's.

And I haven't even started about the defense.

And you think that's a formula for success?

New RB, new QB... and a lack of quality WR's.... a mediocre o-line and a lack of TE's.

And I haven't even started about the defense.

And you think that's a formula for success?

ahman green is good, matt schaub should do ok, andre johnson is a stud, daniels is a solid TE. yes, their oline has issues, but they could improve this season and they werent as bad last year as they were before.

their defense is young and they have some big difference makers, williams/robinson/ryans/faggins/okoye.

im just saying, i think people will be surprised by this team. theyre not going to the superbowl, but they shoud do decently.

but they did finish ahead of us last year.

ahman green is good, matt schaub should do ok, andre johnson is a stud, daniels is a solid TE. yes, their oline has issues, but they could improve this season and they werent as bad last year as they were before.

their defense is young and they have some big difference makers, williams/robinson/ryans/faggins/okoye.

im just saying, i think people will be surprised by this team. theyre not going to the superbowl, but they shoud do decently.

but they did finish ahead of us last year.

If you say the Oline has issues, why would you think Schaub will do ok?

If you say the Oline has issues, why would you think Schaub will do ok?

because i think carr was somewhat at fault for his sack issues. he held on to the ball WAY too long at times. schaub knows he cant do this or he will suffer the same fate as carr did. plus i think they will run the ball a lot more this year. with dayne and green playing against the colts and titans 4 times a year, they will be pounding the rock.

If skins are serriously looking at Maccardell then that means that for whatever reason they are not happy with the WR corps.

weather it be ??? with:

Health of Moss

abilities of Lloyd and randel El

there seems to be a casue for concern..

If skins are serriously looking at Maccardell then that means that for whatever reason they are not happy with the WR corps.

weather it be ??? with:

Health of Moss

abilities of Lloyd and randel El

there seems to be a casue for concern..

Don't read into this too much. Gibbs likes veteran receivers, but there is a very good chance that he never would have cracked the roster.

A move like this is just to make everyone better at camp, and to spur competition. That's all.

Really? You think they can suck more than they already do?

But seriously, The Texans are very promising, except they never seem to like those big guys up front who protect the quarterback. They can have a potentially great DE, two former first round DTs (including one whose only 20), and a GREAT MLB, but at the end of the day, their quarterback will have maybe 4 seconds to put himself in a position to take the least amount of pain from a blitzer.

Good. Man it seems like EVERY year the Skins have to make a stupid move. They were doing pretty good in avoiding those moves this year but they just cant resist. Signing McCardell would fulfill the Skins FO need to make at least one stupid move a year.

I agree with this.

I think the Texans, if healthy, have enough pieces in place to give teams problems this year. They have young, emerging players everywhere. Unlike us, they've spent a ton picks on defensive lineman and that unit played really well down the stretch. They looked like the 91 Eagles in the second Indy game. If they really do have their Reggie White in Mario Williams... watch out.

But it all comes down to whether you believe in Schaub or not. If you do, it's not hard to see them come up with 8 or 9 wins and threaten for the playoffs. If you don't, then I understand why you'd disregard them. I happen to think he's going to make a big difference.

We see virtually every year what a new QB can do for an offense that was held back by the incumbent. You don't always have to have the new QB AND the pretty new toys to play good offense. Bledsoe's been replaced twice - first by Brady in 01 and then by Romo sits to pee. Sacks went down, picks went down, and wins went up. Same could be said of Delhomme in 2003 or Brees last year - though DB did get some weapons that Brooks never had. When the ball comes out on time and with some accuracy, it's amazing how different an offense can look. Plus, Kubiak is from the Shannahan school where they always seem to be able to get an offensive line to play better than the sum of the parts. They made big strides last season - even with Carr who has never done them any favors.

Should be an interesting team to watch.

So if I'm McCardell, this is not such a bad team to hitch my wagon to.

I'm home.

I have a reasonable shot to win the #2 job there and catch some balls.

I can get some credit if we do end up playing some good offense.

If they offered me any kind of incentives - I'd pick them over Washington for sure.

Archived