Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Quality of Redskins Radio Content

Jino

I have been a regular listener of 980 since it's inception.

I used to enjoy Kornheiser, Doc and Al and Ken Beatrice.

More recently, I have turned Redskins radio on regularly.

Mainly because John Thompson really bores me and his interviews are horrible and Brian Mitchell is just too annoying.

I have to admit though, Redskins radio's programming is very mediocre.

Mike and Mike is decent and at times amusing even though I don't really agree with their opinions on the Skins.

Colin Cowherd is just absolutely unbearable to listen to. He whines, puts down more successful sports media people and doesn't know much about sports except for college football.

Dan Patrick is a joy to listen to however. He's become my new Tony.

Czabe and the group is always good. Although many of you won't agree with his thoughts, you gotta admit, it feels like you're talking amongst yourselves when they talk local sports.

What do you think about our local sports radio programming?

The radio host I miss the most is Ken Beatrice. What a class act and an informed host who just strictly dicussed sports and none of the soap opera in sports of today.

Czabe and the group is always good. Although many of you won't agree with his thoughts, you gotta admit, it feels like you're talking amongst yourselves when they talk local sports.

this is why czabe is good. listening to bmitch act like he is the end all know all of sports is painful. john thompson doesnt even comment on football that much, and doc walker is ok, but he gets way too up on his high horse. the riggins show is more boring than watching grass grow. czabe is light and funny, and still discusses relevant topics, and like this poster said, even if you disagree, he creates an atmosphere that sounds like youre just shooting the s*** with him, which makes for fun radio.

It's never been the same since Ken Beatrice retired. I used to listen to his show in the evenings with few exceptions. I have never had the priveledge of listening to anyone who was more prepared or knowledgeable...or frankly gave out his office phone number to call him and "chat" when he ran out of time on the air. There's been a void in sports talk radio in D.C. that has never been close to being filled.

I wonder if Dan Patrick can ever make it through a show w/out posing a third person question to himself beginning with "Do I..." think, want, hope, etc. If you ever listen to the guy, you know what I'm talking about.

And adding a long dramatic pause to make me think my streaming radio has cut out.

Dan Patrick = overload Barry Bonds coverage

John Thompson = overload basketball coverage

Brian Mitchell = total clown

Czabe = funny clown

Doc Walker = pretty good, like his new show

Mike & Mike = Vanilla, overload coverage of issue du jour, sometimes entertaining

Colin Cowherd = whiny, annoying blowhard who's only schtick is criticism of everything

Feldman & Maloney = weak, but at least its local

Kornheiser = where he belongs, doing non-stop American Idol coverage on WP radio

John Riggins = better when he was a once a week show, but still pretty good

I think you pretty much nailed it Jino. When "Redskins Radio" first launched, it's all I listened to. But I find myself more and more tuning back to Czabe on the "First Team" and then on the way home on the "Sports Reporters" on 980.

I agree with your assessment of Dan Patrick. I think his show is the best going. My wife will even listen to his show (Which may or may not be a good endorsement!).

And Ken "Yoouuu'rrre Next" Beatrice is definitely missed. He had the perfect show to listen to late at night (or whenever he was on, which was moved around it seemed every year or so!).

Hail,

H

I generally listen to 980 only but their new schedule is throwing me off a bit. Czabe in the mornings and afternoon is tolerable. I love the Doc Walker and "Feldman and Maloney" shows. The John Thompson show is still great for interviews but the chemistry on that show is a bit off with BMitch taking Doc's spot.

So many fond memories of driving home on the GW Parkway after the games with Ken Beatrice taking calls on WMAL 630 after what had usually been a Redskins win. I remember how he used to argue with the callers.

Ah, the good ole days!

why the hell is it still called the "NEW" triple x espn radio after 1 year?

It'll probably be that way for a while, especially if Red Zebra can get ahold of a strong banded station like 100.3 for full time coverage.

It's only a matter of time.

Dan Patrick is a joy to listen to however. He's become my new Tony.

Any reason you don't listen to the old Tony on Washington Post Radio? 1500 AM and 107.7 FM Going off the air once MNF starts, but should be back afterwards if, he notes, the radio station is still on the air. Less sports, but as good a show as before.

Dan Patrick drives me crazy. Acts like he's so daggum smart, but can't put together a logical train of thought to save his life. Those awards have really gone to his head.

The pauses drive me crazy too.

Cowherd needs to leave the air. Idiot barely knows his sports. Love the bit where they interview writers around the nation, but the rest is absolute drivel.

I agree there is no decent radio content around. 980 is ok

The Riggins show is pathetic. very boring, and very little redskins content. They talk about totally unrelated stuff that nobody cares about, such as thier personal lives.

we want to hear about the redskins

Dan Patrick = overload Barry Bonds coverage

Czabe = funny clown

Mike & Mike = Vanilla, overload coverage of issue du jour, sometimes entertaining

Colin Cowherd = whiny, annoying blowhard who's only schtick is criticism of everything

Kornheiser = where he belongs, doing non-stop American Idol coverage on WP radio

John Riggins = better when he was a once a week show, but still pretty good

Patrick is best with Olberman, IMO, when he makes his 2-3pm appearances.

Mike & Mike, along with Riggins going against John Thompson (when tripleX first came on), was the main reason I switched about 95/5% to tripleX. They can drone on about the current hot topic like you said, but some of their pre-recorded bits done by Jauquin and the other guy are hilarious.

Cowherd can be entertaining and intelligent, then promptly shoots off his mouth and says something idiotic.

Kornheiser, used to love him on 980, but never listen to WP radio. He was good with Andy Pollin and Gary Braun.

Riggins seemed more special when he was only on once a week, but he's not really that bad as an everyday host. Plus the fact they stole Braun from 980 and bring on Bram Weinstein for the Redskins news is pretty good. Kevin's not too bad for an update/sidekick either.

The Larry Michaels' show, on in-season as Redskins' Lunch, is almost unbearable. And that's even with Bram there helping Larry along.

And finally, I was really hoping Snyder would buy 104.1 to make TripleX only SingleX, but that deal never went through. As much as he's reputed to have overspent for players, Bonneville, 104.1's owners, must've really been trying to gouge Snyder over that deal. Here's hoping to picking up another strong station. 92.7 is OK near where I live, but when I have to work in VA, only 730 works, and that's marginal at best.

Even his outlying signals in Richmond and The Beach are questionable. 950 is extremely weak at night in Richmond (decent during the day), and 102.1 at the Beach can't be picked up in the outlying HR area.

He needs to buy a 50K watt signal on AM, turn it into the sports monster on the East Coast, spread the word of the Redskins at night, and leave it at that.

Archived