Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kerry's speech

Kilmer17

Originally posted by Kilmer17

Im trying to find the exact quote.

paraphrased.

He commented that somebody was so weak that they couldn't beat Italians.

It was said on Imus.

It would have made more sense if it was France don't you think?

Sorry, I was out until this AM. Thought it was common knowledge by now.

Her's the first Google response.

http://www.osia.org/public/newsroom/pr12_03_97.htm

CSJ Responds to Kerry Remark

Commission for Social Justice Responds to Kerry Remark

Washington, D.C., Dec. 3, 1997 -- The Commission for Social Justice (CSJ) has demanded a public apology from U.S. Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass) in response to a statement he made on the Imus in the Morning show that was offensive to Italians and Italian Americans.

The Associated Press reported on Nov.13 that, commenting on Iraqi military strength, Kerry said ". . . even the Italians could kick their butts."

"Be advised that your senseless and inane comment. . . is a disgrace not only to Italy. . . but relegated to ridicule the tens of thousands of Italian Americans who gave their lives in defense of our country," CSJ President Angelo R. Bianchi said in a letter to Kerry. Bianchi said that by his statement, Kerry has asserted "a negative stereotype of Italian Americans which certainly is contrary to the principles upon which this nation was founded."

Bianchi requested that Kerry publicly apologize via the media to Italy and Italian Americans for his "insulting" comment. By date of release, there has been no response from Kerry.

CSJ is the anti-defamation arm of the Order Sons of Italy in America (OSIA), the oldest, largest, and most demographically diverse organization of Italian-American men and women in North America. The CSJ works to ensure equal concern, treatment, respect, freedom, and opportunity for all people regardless of race, ethnicity, creed, age, or sex.

###

Now what would be happening if he had said "Blacks" instead of Italians?

Uh ... where did he say 'Italian Americans'? I don't believe he did.

To use your analogy you'd have to insert something like 'Nigerians' instead of 'Blacks.'

And then Kerry has a point.

EDIT: And the dateline of that story is 1997? What's up with that?

If he had said Nigerians instead of Italians, the maelstrom would be the same. Just pointing out the Dems hypocrisy.

Not sure about the date thing. Odd.

Hypocrisy is Newt Gingrich having an affiar with a 20 something staffer while issuing daily condemnations of Bill Clinton's extra-marital activities. Hypocrisy is Susan Molinari bashing Clinton for pot-smoking in college. Hyposcrisy is Jesse Jackson saying .... well, just about anything. :)

I think you are attempting to point out hypocrisy in politics, which runs rampant through both parties.

But I don't think this case applies. If Kerry doesn't think much of the Italian military (Or Nigerian military for that matter), that's just an opinion of the past or current international climate.

Further quotes from Kerry.

"Of course, that's the same thing his office said following another appearance on the Imus show when, attempting to belittle Bill Weld's work ethic, Kerry described the former GOP governor as ``a guy who takes more vacations than people on welfare.''"

Now if a GOP Senator made fun of people on welfare, how fast would the left jump on him or her?

Jack, maybe he was referring to the military, but that's not what he said. Similarly, Lott might have been referring to segregation (we wouldn't have all these problems...) but he didnt say it explicitly.

I'm just calling for the same standards to be applied.

Further quotes from Kerry.

"Of course, that's the same thing his office said following another appearance on the Imus show when, attempting to belittle Bill Weld's work ethic, Kerry described the former GOP governor as ``a guy who takes more vacations than people on welfare.''"

Now if a GOP Senator made fun of people on welfare, how fast would the left jump on him or her?

Jack, maybe he was referring to the military, but that's not what he said. Similarly, Lott might have been referring to segregation (we wouldn't have all these problems...) but he didnt say it explicitly.

I'm just calling for the same standards to be applied.

I don't know, didn't the welfare queen thing get RR nominated in 1980?

As for Kerry, if the Italians can beat the Iraqies what else did he mean instead of war? (military) You are grasping on Kerry because you see him as the next Democrat Presidential nominee. Don't worry he's not the guy anyway.

Hahaha.... like the GOP would be worried if Kerry was the guy. Hahahaha..... such a charismatic and forward thinking leader who can galvanize his constituency and bring out the vote... not.

The reason this board is so funny is that the vast majority of supporters of both parties have their head stuck in the stand when it comes to the shortcomings of their own parties. If the Democrats could pull their head out for a bit, they'd see that there are a few people in their party who can get them where they want to be. Instead, they're sitting around ****ing and whining like five year-olds.

Im pointing them out as I find them.

Of course it's not the same as Lott, it was said by a Democrat and the group being poked fun of aren't black. Switch the word Italians with Blacks and the person from a Dem to a Rep and the press would be howling.

Archived