Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Areas needing improvement (without trade)

BMahoney

I searched and could not find any thread about this sorry if I am reposting, I just wanted to gather everyone's opinion on what needs to happen for the redskins to really excel this season. Please do not reply with the obvious answers Jason Campbell breaking out and Portis staying healthy, IMO our weakest area is our WR core, IMO LLoyd and ARE are not the answer and Moss has been plagued with minor injuries, and what we need to do is put Thrash in as the #2 I know this may sound rediculous to some of you, but Thrash other than Moss is our most sure handed reciever, and it seems to me that he puts in alot more effort than Lloyd especially. Secondly I believe our defense needs to disguise itself better, I can't count the number of times Taylor would come up to the line and really blitz, by doing this we have allowed other teams to find weaknesses in what was a depleted secondary. Rather I feel we need to start showing blitz with Taylor/Rogers/Washington who ever it may be, and drop them into coverage occasionally, like every other team in the NFL does. Third I would like to see some different play calling, I know very little about running an offense, but it seemed to me (from all my madden experience) that our offense was quite predictable at times and about the only unpredictable play we ever ran was a draw on 3rd and long which was almost never successful. I must give credit to our trick plays though they did work for the most part last year, but our offense was still very predictable. I would really like to see alot more play action this year, and hopefully with Jason at the helm who knows we might even bomb it once a game on 1st and 10 to see if we can catch a secondary (that will be expecting a heavy dose of the run) off guard. This is just my 2 cents and all my opinion, I tried my best not to step on any toes, so if you could please keep your comments about the topic.

I think personally the area of concern is LG. I know we plugged Wade in there, and we know he can play, but putting a tackle of his height in a guard position that requires a lot of handwork which could become a problem. Protecting the inside of the line and giving Campbell time to throw could become an issue.

I think the best way to attack a young QB is to blitz, and reduce the time he has to process the defense. Luckily, we have some quick WR's and TE to come out of the backfield to create seperation. But if Wade doesn't do a good job plugging up that hole, it could turn out to be problem. I think Portis and Sellars are good enough blockers to help secure the left side on play actions, but they can only do so much.

LG could also impact the running game, as we like to pull our guards out in front of Portis and Betts on runs.

If the DT's are able to get low on Wade, they could cause a lot of havoc in our backfield, and no matter how good our WR's, Campbell and RB's are, it may all turn out be a nullified by the LG play...

Just my 2 cents...

I think that I have a little more optimism in Lloyd than others. I know he never seems to put as much effort out there as other receivers but I've seen spurts of motivation from him. I think he just really needs to prove himself out there. Whether he realizes this or not is soley on him. I do agree that Thrash could possibly be a better option. I just pray that Moss will be fully in good health. I think our improved secondary should/will help our d-line with its work as well. We just really need to get ALL of our guys healthy and fired up!

The two obvious areas which need to improve/deliver this year are Lloyd in the #2 WR spot and Carter at DE.

Forget putting Thrash in as the #2 WR at this point he is a #4 or #5 guy who is great on teams and provides the occaisonal change of pace at WR - if it comes to that it means we are in trouble. LLoyd has to step up and make some plays or at least make the D respect he is out there to draw some coverage off Moss. If he can get say 40+ catches for 500+ yards and 3 or 4 TDs I will be happy. Thats just under 3 catches per game for a 12 yard average. Not earth shattering but enough to make the oposition take him into account.

Carter played really well the last 5 or so games - if he plays that way out of the gate and all season he will provide that pass rush we have all been worrying about this offseason. He actually played the run well late on as well. If, however he plays like he did the first 10 games we are going to have to rely on the blitz to get to the QB and that puts pressure on the secondary and limits what you can do scheme wise on passing downs.

LG needs to be filled but if Wade does not cut it in camp we will find a lte camp cut from somewhere who can come in and do a job so I am not sweating that.

wade is only 2 inches taller then Dockery. He has really good hands and technique, and should be able to make up for his lack of lower center of gravity through technique and being smart. remember, we have the best oline coach ever, or at least top 5, in the history of football, and thats no exaggeration.

We are going to need to replace Mike Sellers soon. He turns 32 next month. Its tough to quanitfy his contribution to this team, but its been substantial.

Obviously a fullback isnt that high on the priority list, I feel the Skins should take a good look at Owen Schmitt out of WVU in next years draft.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/bigeast/2006-11-01-wvu-schmitt_x.htm

He is also pound-for-pound the strongest player in the NCAA, and a local boy.

Go back to 1981. This team needs to have that type of season. No, not starting out 0 - 5, but developing team chemistry and an offensive rhythm. By the end of 81, you could see this team was going to be very, very good. And of course they were for the next 12 years or so.

Even if we go 8 - 8, which would be an improvement, but we find a sense of what we are on offense and defense, we'll be okay for the next several years. Use the preseason to work on things, find what works, and ****can what doesn't.

Hail,

H

I think what the redskins need is one of those training sessions that companies and schools usually do. They have these activities that promote teamwork, unity, trust, respect, etc. I think that with all of the new players we are getting it wouldn't hurt if everybody bonded together. I think that is why the Patriots and the colts were so successful because they tried to keep the same core of players and everybody held each other accountable. If we did that then the performance would most likely improve.

I really agree I think our best chance at improvement is to not make anymore blockbuster trades.. which IMO have not exactly been very productive for us, other than of course CP who is our MVP, but even in that trade we didn't receive the better deal. The unity needs to be there though I'm sure many of you have read the article about the last game of the season, where Lloyd clearly lost a ball in the lights and when asked by Al Saunders if that is what had happened, he replied the ball was overthrown, which (from being at the game) I can tell you was not the case. I think that if we had more unity within the team everyone would be accountable, and rather than slum around for the rest of the game maybe this season Lloyd will do the right thing and go out there and try harder to make it up to his teammates

']Who is the backup to the backup at QB? Brunell is done soon and they need someone who can replace him as Campbell's primary backup. Who is the third stringer now and is he capable of this?

We'll find out in training camp. God i hope its not Sam Hollenbach. :doh:

']Who is the backup to the backup at QB? Brunell is done soon and they need someone who can replace him as Campbell's primary backup. Who is the third stringer now and is he capable of this?
Todd Collins. And from what I saw out of him last preseason' date=' he reminds me of, well.... Imagine Eli trying to play left-handed the morning after the night your favorite picture was taken. Aside from that, we drafted Carson Palmer's younger brother in round 6 or 7, but our real ace in the hole is Casey Bramlet, who's basically the Peyton Manning of NFL Europa.

We'll find out in training camp. God i hope its not Sam Hollenbach. :doh:

No worries there I'm sure. It'll be Bramlet or Jordan Palmer. The other will go on the Practice Squad I'm guessing.

Hollenbach is just a camp fodder arm. Maybe he will find his way to the NFLE next year.

Hail,

H

While looking back on highlights from last season, I noticed after the huddle alot of players didnt really know where they were suppose to go, this could have been a tactic to try to disguise the play to the defense but it seems highly unlikely when watching the footage. Makes me think that after a year or two under their belts they'll really be able to use Saunder's system to their advantage hopefully we pick up a cheap possesion wideout along the way.

Archived