Jerametrius Butler, CB

Draft:

Rd. 1 (No. 6 overall) LaRon Landry, S, LSU

5 (143) Dallas Sartz, LB, USC

6 (179) H.B. Blades, LB, Pittsburgh

6 (205) Jordan Palmer, QB, Texas-El Paso

7 (216) Tyler Ecker, TE, Michigan

Analysis:

It was a quiet offseason by the Washington Redskins' standards.

That's a good thing, in this case.

The big move that the Redskins needed to make was made during the season last season, when Coach Joe Gibbs made the quarterback switch from veteran Mark Brunell to youngster Jason Campbell. After that, the wise thing for the Redskins to do was to keep everything else the same, at least as much as they could. That's what they did.

Now the offensive players have had some time to settle into coordinator Al Saunders's system, that after Gibbs--perhaps unnecessarily, with the team coming off a playoff season in 2005--turned over control of the offense to Saunders last year. Gibbs reclaimed some measure of control over the team's offensive identity late last season, pledging to get back to the run-first approach that produced three Super Bowl titles in his first go-around as the club's coach. With Campbell, the Redskins should be able to do the things that Gibbs's teams did on offense to be successful: Run the ball, and throw it deep. The club kept tailback Ladell Betts off the free agent market by signing him to a contract extension beforehand; Betts and Clinton Portis give the Redskins an effective one-two rushing combination.

Guard Derrick Dockery left for a big-money contract with the Buffalo Bills in free agency. That hurts the offensive line but certainly doesn't dismantle it. The Redskins were more careful then usual in free agency, picking up linebacker London Fletcher and cornerback Fred Smoot early and, more recently, adding cornerbacks David Macklin and Jerametrius Butler. The team now has some depth at cornerback, and Fletcher is a solid tackler to anchor the defense. The sixth overall pick in the draft perhaps should have been used to address a more pressing need on the defensive line, but it's difficult to quibble too much with selecting a player as talented as LSU safety LaRon Landry.

The Redskins have a long way to go after stumbling to a 5-11 record last season. But you can fix a lot in this league if you fix your quarterback position, and the early returns on Campbell as a starter last season seemed to indicate that the Redskins are on their way to doing that.

:dallasuck

the switch in quarterbacks was going to result in a step back. What we didn't know at the time was that Brunell had a torn labrum. I anticipated Brunell would take us to a 9-7 type record in 2006 and compete for a playoff spot, while 2007 would be the year the team took that step back to usher in the Campbell era.

it happened a year early. perhaps now 2007 will be a better season from a competitive standpoint, Campbell grew a lot in those 7 games in 2006.

1. Campbell's offseason work ethic is so important. Many players have shown flashes only to flounder when they were called on to be the day in day out player. Hardwork should never be discounted as the way to success.

2. Year 2 under Saunders tutledge

3. Very little turnover means players start ahead of where they did last year this time.

4. Low media expectations may not be bad thing (witness 2005)

1. Campbell's offseason work ethic is so important. Many players have shown flashes only to flounder when they were called on to be the day in day out player. Hardwork should never be discounted as the way to success.

2. Year 2 under Saunders tutledge

3. Very little turnover means players start ahead of where they did last year this time.

4. Low media expectations may not be bad thing (witness 2005)

These are all very good points, and and I think that numbers 1 and 2 are going to be the big reasons why this team is going to be a sucess.

I think as low key as this off-season has been, following a very disappointing year, this whole upcoming season seems like 2005 all over again in the making. No media expectations, building a better/healthier offense, and making some key moves to help our defense in areas that drastically needed it. Last year I had this kind of bad feeling in my gut once the preseason started, but this year I honestly believe we'll at least find a way to make the Wild Card, and I think a lot of it has to do with the mellow off-season we've had to keep chemistry.

It still annoys me that Brunell was injured and didn't say anything. He probably hurt it in pre-season but didn't say anything for fear of losing his job. Anyways, this is a good article. I'm still quietly optimistic for the season. The skins made some great moves but Campbell is playing his first full season so you can't expect the world of him. Give him at least this full season to grow

Our fate shouldn't be put in JC's hands. It's too early in his career and with our running game the pressure doesn't have to be piled on him.

We'll be succesful running the ball and we'll be succesful if we can find a dominating D.

The "Campbell factor" is being over-played.

Our fate shouldn't be put in JC's hands. It's too early in his career and with our running game the pressure doesn't have to be piled on him.

We'll be succesful running the ball and we'll be succesful if we can find a dominating D.

The "Campbell factor" is being over-played.

He's the starting QB. The pressure will always be piled on him =P.

And although I agree with how our team will get the most Ws, your QBs effectiveness is just as much a factor.

This article is just about the closest thing to reality I've seen from the media. Breath of fresh air!

The great thing about Maske is he doesn't bring the agenda and vitriol that's become the hallmark of so many WP writers. JLC would be wise to strive to be a poor man's MM. Instead, he's a poor man's nobody.

Took the words right out of my mouth.

It really is possible to write objectively, offer reasonable criticism, and not come off like a total douchebag.

I think that the big misnomer is that there was a lot of turnover last year.

On defense Carter was a new starter and on offense Lloyd. The rest of the team was the same.

This year there is Fletcher, Landry, and whoever starts at Guard. The rest of the signings are backups, just like last year. Even Arch was supposed to be a backup until Prioleu got injured, I heard.

The one difference this year is that they haven't overpaid ****ty players like last year.

Archived