Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Big Daddy?

Henry

Maybe this is old news but I haven't seen anyone post this yet.

I was watching the news last night (Fox, I think. Not sure) and they were talking about the defense giving up 340 or so yards to Philly and they interveiwed a few players. Then they got to Wilkensen. He talked about how frustrating it was to watch yada yada yada.

Then he said something like "Hopefully next year we'll get better. Well, I won't be here but I'll rooting for the rest of the guys."

The newscasters noted his remark but didn't elaborate. Is he as good as gone and I just missed it?

Originally posted by Bufford

its common belief that the team will make a mistake and release him. He's on restructured his contract 50 times for this franchise.....why should the team show him any loyality?

yeah i agree and especially after a quote like that ("Hopefully next year we'll get better. Well, I won't be here but I'll rooting for the rest of the guys.")... Wilkinson has always seemed like a "team" player and always brought positive influence... i remember him and Gardener became close almost instantly and i think that was a big reason Daryl signed here... the only negative thing i can remember about Big Daddy was his workout methods and how Spurrier didn't much approve... but, hey, whatever, he's been a solid, although not game-breaking, DT the last few years... i'll wish him good luck wherever he goes...

Originally posted by Bufford

its common belief that the team will make a mistake and release him. He's on restructured his contract 50 times for this franchise.....why should the team show him any loyality?

Well, I know WE"VE been speculating about his future and all, but I didn't expect Wilkensen himself to say something like that. Must be more than just guesswork at this point ... I guess.

Nevermind loyalty. Am I the only one here who thinks this is a really dumb move? BDW and Gardener together pack a great punch. With all the restructurings and the price of DTs, are we really saving much by cutting him? Anyone else think a year or two down the road and we'll be overpaying some other FA to take his place after our line returns to its usual sieve-self? Buddha, what's your take on the cap and so forth. Does this guy just have a bad attitude? I just don't see the wisdom, unless we're planning on gutting the roster, calling '03 a rebuilding year, and taking all our cap hits right away so that we'll be in a great position to stack up in '04.

Originally posted by Henry

Well, I know WE"VE been speculating about his future and all, but I didn't expect Wilkensen himself to say something like that. Must be more than just guesswork at this point ... I guess.

there's been articles in The Post referring to Wilkinson being released after the season... even many threads on here... when the rumors first came up (a couple weeks ago), they asked him about it and he said "it's a business, blah blah blah"...

it's nothing really new...

Wilkinson had an exceptional year last year over the last 10 or so games. He definately wasn't as good this year. Unfortunately, he's the type of player that is best in a single gap. Despite his size, he is a guy you want to assign one job on any play and that job won't be a worry because he is capable of getting into a gap and using his weight to overpower someone. He is less adept at reacting and holding a block and shedding it as he usually plays far too high for that.

I think losing him would be a blow, but, the team is clearly hopeful it can find a bit more quickness and suitability to the system in a tackle that might offer a bit more in pursuit than Wilkinson. I'd love to keep him and think this is a bigger loss than losing Davis despite how much more important Davis has been over the years.

I do think there has to come a time you get yourself out from under the renegotiations you've had with him and swallow the huge pill you've made for yourself with him. If we can draft a defensive tackle in the first round this may be that time.

He's scheduled to make a base salary of $3.5 million next season and unfortunately has renegotiated his contract too many times to renegotiate again. It's the one contract that I doubt anyone on the outside can pin down, but one that everyone can agree has generated a large amount of prorated signing bonus money due to repeated renegotiations. Guaranteeing his contract for one more season would only further increase the hit we'd take when he finally is released.

At this stage in his career, he's really only a Sam Adams space-occupying type of DT with little pass rush ability. That's still a valuable player to have on your line, but not one you'd want to pay $3.5 million for. A playmaking, play-disrupting guy like Gardener is.

I think this goes back to him not showing up for the workouts in the offseason. Not the way to make a good impression on the new coach. It was amplified when he showed up to camp more out of shape than usual. If he had been in better shape and played like he had last year, he'd probably be coming back.

Everyone says that they want Spurrier to take control and get rid of the slackers, does that only apply to the scrubs?

Originally posted by ThatGuy

Everyone says that they want Spurrier to take control and get rid of the slackers, does that only apply to the scrubs?

i don't view Wilkinson as a slacker... he's fat... but he's also a DT... granted, he should have attended the workouts, but regardless, i love his attitude... he always seems positive and he always seems to have that will to win... that postgame quote after the Dallass loss showed that... i'm sure he will be gone and i'm sure we could upgrade that position... but, is it worth letting him go for and not looking at another position that's more pressing? guess we'll find out...

observation.....snyder likes to hang out on the field with his cronies and the players up to maybe 30 minutes or so prior to gametime. big daddy was on the sidelines during wramups for the Gints game maybe 10 ft behind snyder. snyder was shaking hands and encouraging a lot of the players. however, there was no interaction between him and big daddy. it looked like a cooled relationship with snyder having already written BD off. I may be reading too much into this, but there were maybe 20-30 minutes when they were near one another and there was no interaction. snyder generally likes to shoot the *hit with a lot of the players during this time........

Might he be one of the players that Marvin indicated isn't doing his job, taking care of his responsibilties, or even doing his assignments at all? I remember when the defense struggled a year or two ago, Wilkinson was one of the ones mentioned as "shucking" his assignments and doing his own thing.

Also, I think Spurrier wants guys who are going to do the work in the offseason and come to camp in shape and ready to progress in the defense. Wilkinson's belief that conditioning isn't a big deal in the offseason might be why he's been targeted for a pink slip. This release might be an eye opener to the rest of the team, stay in shape and come to minicamp ready to improve at your position.

I like having his size in the middle beside Gardener, but if he's underachieving than he isn't worth $3.5mil a year. A new DT who can push the pocket and stand his ground against the running game might EVEN be a better fit for this defense.

Budha,

I thought that, if a player has $x in dead money, and his total contract is n years, then every year his eventual cap hit went down by $x/n.

I thought the only way his eventual "termination hit" could go up would be if we gave him more virtual money.

I thought that, say, if he was willing to stick around for $1M salary (or, better yet, that vet min deal), then the hit when he leaves next year would be lower.

Now, ho might not take an offer like that if he can get more elsewhere. If he's goint somewhere else it's another matter. But if it's just a choice between staying here vs. retireing, I'd think playing always pays better for the player, and, if the salary's cheap, almost always works out well the the team's cap (but not necessarily for roster spots).

Archived