Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Running Game/draft a RB?

BG

So it looks like Davis is about 89% gone and neither Betts nor Watson has the skill to replace him. What do we do?

Do we draft a RB this spring or look through free agency? The only decent pass catching RB's seem to be either locked in contract or would be too expensive. Travis Henry, Holcomb from the Titans Dillon from cinci it keeps going..................

God I miss Larry Centers :cry:

i say no.

let's see what betts and watson and gillespie (sp?) give us next year.

i would absolutely stay away from dillon. he has not done much this year, much like stephen. he has a bad oline, much like stephen. he fumbles in bad situations, much like stephen. he gets stopped in short yardage situations, much like stephen (although a bunch of dillon's were goalline situations. you just gotta make those). he has a bloated sense of his ability and worth to a football team, much like stephen.

Ljer, while that is true, he doesn't appear to posess any power or speed out of the holes which is what we need. Dillon, ugggghhh

I really mentioned him as an example of a back we can't get.

I don't know y'all. I think we need to adress this in the draft or free agency. I just don't see any of these guys having any impact in a pro-style running game that I know Spurrier will not and does not want to run next year.

I am well aware that his knowledge of football far exceeds mine but you gotta have at least one decent guy on offense other than your QB?

Originally posted by IAMBG

Ljer, while that is true, he doesn't appear to posess any power or speed out of the holes which is what we need. Dillon, ugggghhh

I really mentioned him as an example of a back we can't get.

I don't know y'all. I think we need to adress this in the draft or free agency. I just don't see any of these guys having any impact in a pro-style running game that I know Spurrier will not and does not want to run next year.

I am well aware that his knowledge of football far exceeds mine but you gotta have at least one decent guy on offense other than your QB?

Its too early to say that Betts does not bring this to the table. He is a rookie and has not seen many carries. He is going to be a little tentative at times. As ljer said, patience...

I also think that Dillon might be worth a look if we get a really nice deal.

with the Redskins needs at WR, OL, DL and S I doubt seriously that we will be in the running for a back in the first couple of rounds of the draft :)

in free agency we might pick up a veteran with some speed to be be a value backup.

The Cardinals are going to release Thomas Jones in the offseason and if he recovers his speed I wonder if he might not be a good risk to take and bring in for a look see? :)

He may not have what it takes at this level, but I don't necessarily trust that the Cardinals get the most out of their draft choices and personnel either :D

Whoever said Trung Canidate... that would be interesting. He would seem to be a good fit for Spurrier's offense (homerun hitter w/ great speed) but there has to be some reason he's been in the doghouse since year 2. As an Eagle fan, I just hope they don't get Fred Taylor.

Now, let's see:

Without Steven Davis, we've got three guys on the roster who I think of as running backs: Watson, Betts, and Cartwright. Two of them cost us draft picks last year.

So far, the rookies have a total of 29 carries. (Betts: 28, Cartwright: 1). If you include Watson, then the total goes to 108 total carries.

I don't know if we can say we've even "seen" Watson enough to make a decision about him. (And, you really can't evaluate Rock on 1 carry).

I've said it before: If this team cuts Steven Davis, goes past the RBs already on the roster, and spends a draft pick on another RB, then I'll become a Philly fan. (OK, I might forgive a second-day bargain. But good luck convincing me that there weren't any linemen left on day two who were worth checking out).

Originally posted by bulldog

with the Redskins needs at WR, OL, DL and S I doubt seriously that we will be in the running for a back in the first couple of rounds of the draft :)

in free agency we might pick up a veteran with some speed to be be a value backup.

The Cardinals are going to release Thomas Jones in the offseason and if he recovers his speed I wonder if he might not be a good risk to take and bring in for a look see? :)

He may not have what it takes at this level, but I don't necessarily trust that the Cardinals get the most out of their draft choices and personnel either :D

Very good idea. At UVA, he was better than Tiki. Just don't know what happened in Arizona. I'd love to see T.J in Burgandy and Gold. Bueno!!!

Lets not forget that Davis wasnt worth a damn as an RB until he spent a year as an FB. He ran too high, was too tentative and was a pu*** as Michael Westbrook showed when he ***** slapped Davis and Davis did nothing back (not that I'm ever, EVER supporting Westbrook but hes gotta do something there ...)

After he was an FB and in the league for 3 years or so he hit holes much harder than before and basically did the job.

Watson hits the holes quicker than Betts - hes not a rookie. But hes not a full time RB. Betts need time learn some giddy-up. It took time but Davis finally did so Betts can too.

However, Tech RBs do not have much success in the NFL.

Uh, how many RB's from tech have even been worth drafting?

Until Vick, the big names from Tech who played in the NFL were Bruce Smith and Don Strock.... few Tech players made the NFL or were even drafted until the Beamer era.

Originally posted by Montilar

Uh, how many RB's from tech have even been worth drafting?

Until Vick, the big names from Tech who played in the NFL were Bruce Smith and Don Strock.... few Tech players made the NFL or were even drafted until the Beamer era.

I am just remembering some players who were great for Tech, i.e. Oxendine and Corey Moore, who completely bit nut in the NFL.

I guess my point is, does VT's schemes make players look better than they actually are.

(OK, Moore was a bad example;) )

Westbrook sucker punched davis from behind when Davis wasn't looking. Then management warned Davis in no uncertain terms against retaliating because Westbrook was Norv and Casserly's golden boy.

You call Davis a P**** after 3 consecutive seasons rushing for over 1000 yards?

Whateva.

Originally posted by SkinsNorth

Denver RB Olandis Gary is a FA at the nd of this year & I think he'd be a good vet RB to add to the mix. He has good hands & does not have too many miles on him. He has also had success at the pro level.

This sounds like a good idea to me.

Which brings me to another point. The Broncos draft an RB every year. This year, they beat us to Clinton Portis. It seemed shocking that a team that already had Mike Anderson AND Olandis Gary would use a 2nd rounder on another RB, but the guy's likely gonna win Rookie of the Year. If the next Clinton Portis or Anthony Thomas is there for us in the 2nd round, I wouldn't cry if we picked him up. I just don't want another LaDell Busts....

Chung wasn't a bad player; he lasted several years and bounced around. I think he might of had some injuries.

Oxendine was never highly touted was he? And Moore was one of those "tweeners". he had the stats of a big time 1st rounder but he did it all on his speed as he was about a 220 lb DE.

220 lb. DE's don't cut the mustard in the NFL. He was drafted in the mid rounds I think and apparently couldn't make a switch to LB. So that wasn't really a surprise.

(I say all this without looking up and verifying it so maybe I'm off kilter a bit.)

We left off a WR I think. The ex-green bay guy some people wanted and who is injury prone. the name excapes me for the moment.

What I meant, SkinsThug, was that SD was just not a very tough runner when he FIRST came to the Skins. He was tentative, ran high and couldnt bust a tackle.

He then spent his second or third year as Terry Allen's FB which IMO transformed him into a much tougher downhill runner when he replaced Allen. It was only after this that he ran for 1300 yards in 3 seasons.

I think there was a cause and effect thing there ...

Archived