Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

If only we had a plan.....

Art

.....oh wait, we do. As a refresher, one of the best articles about the direction of the team from a couple of months ago.

Good stuff.

The team did what it set out to do this offseason. It stayed on budget and understood where it needed to find itself over the course of the next several offseasons. You can't fill every spot in one year.

If this is any indication, it would appear the team has long been aware of where it needed to find itself.

Art, the only problem is that the man who was genius enough to say this is reportedly being marginalized or even pushed out of the front office:

"You're never satisfied," said Joe Mendes, the Redskins' vice president of football operations. "But it's a process. You don't fill every need every year. You have to stick to your discipline and you have to sign players, not names."

of course there are many ways of 'staying within budget' :)

The Skins could have elected to go with holdover Kevin Mitchell, a solid if unspectacular player at MLB and then used those resources spent on Trotter to go after an offensive lineman or another need position.

I have no qualms with taking a patient approach. What is somewhat disconcerting, however, is the ultimate failure of so many players brought in to even finish one year with the club as fill-ins until others could be acquired later on.

At receiver we dropped half of the veteran complement that started back in August by the middle of the season.

Other teams such as Philly may have filled in with low salary vets like Dorsey Levens or Levon Kirkland for a season, but those playes appear as if they are going to finish that season in good order and ready to hand off to other players as the Eagles acquire them.

With the Skins, that didn't happen.

We weren't even able to gain the one year of stability with our pickups.

In my mind, even with fill-ins you have to do a better job than we did.

And it is nice if every now and then one of the fill ins goes on to outproduce and exceed expectations and become a key contributor :)

We could use a few of those rags to riches stories.

It's a toss-up to me: Mendes has restraint, but has not proven he has an eye for talent. Cerrato has had an eye for talent (multiple Pro-Bowlers in SF), but seemingly no restraint (SF and our cap woes).

Given that we need some more play-makers and game-breakers, I'd say let Cerrato pick for a year or two, then have Mendes clean up the cap mess :laugh:

Originally posted by RiggoDrill

Cerrato has had an eye for talent (multiple Pro-Bowlers in SF)

Whoa there...you don't just walk around saying things like Cerrato has an eye for talent and that he got SF multiple Pro-Bowlers without backing it up. I only know of one...Terrell Owens...who else?

<<Club officials say their roster retooling remains a work in progress, and they hope eventually to construct a built-to-last contender. They feel that, in Ramsey, they have their long-term solution at quarterback. They believe that Betts gives them a down-the-road replacement for Stephen Davis and they can fill other holes -- at guard, wide receiver, safety and along their defensive line -- before next season. In the meantime, the Redskins still are optimistic they have enough in the cupboard for Spurrier and defensive coordinator Marvin Lewis to cobble together a winning team this season. >>

That's not a plan, Art. That's wishful thinking. Before the season started, they essentially said, "We'll fill our holes at guard, WR, S, and DL next year." They're not the only ones who saw that -- so did even the most casual fan. There's a difference between measuring the depth of the hole you're in and actually thinking up a plan to get you out of it.

In the article, Mendes sounds like he's cautiously doling out our cap dollars, but the truth is that with a little foresight he could have filled the holes at OG and probably WR with much less than the Monopoly money he threw at Trotter.

Well, now it's next year. Where's the plan?

my guess is in the offseason the Redskins are going to try and become the Rams East by acquiring fleet wide receivers and a speed back.

Spurrier said his somewhat futile attempts to conform to the NFL standards of what 'should' be done at this level only made the situation worse and that next year he is going to coach the way he is used to coaching.

And you know what that means :)

Bombs away :laugh:

What is the Skins season record for passing yardage? I think it is Jay Schroeder's 4,109 yards back in '86.

Think Ramsey will come close to besting that mark in 2003? :laugh:

Whoa there...you don't just walk around saying things like Cerrato has an eye for talent and that he got SF multiple Pro-Bowlers without backing it up

Yeah...everyone presently reading this post gets to punch Riggodrill in the face!!! :laugh:

Kidding...only kidding....

ART there is PLAN. We'll know in 2 weeks. :laugh:

Whatever plan Mendes/Cerrato Snyder,Spurrier had; it didn't work out well. AS the season went it's course; I think Synder and Spurrier became dissastified with the result in year one of the plan. So there seems to be a new plan forming. Whatever the new plan is, I don't think it will include Mendes or Cerrato.

So Plan 2002 is over and done with. Hopefully Plan 2003 is much better.

The problem with any plan that we have had is that the front office hasn't been very good judges of talent--especially our own talent. Bryan Johnson is finishing his 3rd year and is unsigned for next season. He is a restricted free agent. Instead of doing just the one year deal--offer him a 3-4 year deal with a very small signing bonus--why wait until he is free agent after next season. Wouldn't it be nice to have a good blocker and your leading tackler on special teams back for the next 3-4 years. I am sure people will say you can pick that type of player any time--really? wouldn't it be nice to have some continuity on special teams and someone who is a very good blocker. Ohalete is finishing year 2--except for yesterday--he has shown improvement. Why wait until the 4th year to sign him when he could be a pretty good safety. The young guys have to be watched and a decision made before year 3 finishes. With a small signing bonus--if they were beaten out by other players--the lose wouldn't be great. Thinki f Kalu and Thrash would have been offer a reasonable 3-4 year deal after their 3rd season--they would still be here and having a pretty small cap figure. The Eagles and Bucs have done this well--judging and signing thier own talent. They have also locked up their stars before their initial contract was finished. We need to stop changing our coaches and letting our young talent leave after 4 years.

Hauss, that's one of the best posts (and also I suppose one of the most obvious) I've seen recently. I can't understand why we can look at Buddha's contracts list and work out that players become EFAs or FAs on a certain date but it always seems to come as a complete surprise to the front office. It shouldn't tie up big cap dollars to re-sign some of these players and if one or two are now starters and want more money it would still be cheaper than waiting until their contracts expire and then trying to negotiate.:doh:

we can look at Buddha's contracts list and work out that players become EFAs or FAs on a certain date but it always seems to come as a complete surprise to the front office.

not a bad idea UKS. just set up a system that generates an email a day for the entire last year of a "star's" contract telling the FO to resign them. that way they can't forget.

Hauss,

I agree that the front office needs to identify our own players and lock them into deals before their first one is finished. That's the new model that seems to be working for teams. That's the one we need to follow. But, we are essentially in year one of the plan. Everything changed. Four times in the last four years we altered the type of player we need at certain spots because all or a large part of our scheme has changed.

You can't identify players who can help you if you don't believe you are going to be running the same system. Rock is a perfect example. Johnson is a nice fullback and I'd like to keep him, but, Rock, may be ideal for this offense. If we're going to be in this offense for three or four or five years, then, we should sign the Rock soon to a longer deal to seal him up at a lower price than if he busts out and has a huge season.

But, if we're going to change our system in a year, then, suddenly, the Rock is ill-suited for a team running Marty ball if that's our future and we are straddled with something that doesn't fit. We need to get to a point as an organization that we believe the system and coaches will be around and will fit the scheme for years to come. The ONLY way to make what you say work is to do something for several years and to build your franchise around that core schematic belief no matter who's in charge. Are we there yet?

Archived